The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Vs. Civil Engineering

So I'm 17 and thinking of what course to pick for university, I was thinking of engineering because I like the electrical side of it but wanted to ask a few questions.
What is the difference between the two ?
Which Engineering gets higher pay?
Which Engineering is easier to get in to?

You can keep the answers short thanks (: !
Reply 1
P.S Which engineering am I GUARANTEED a job?
No degree guarantees you a job.

If you like the electrical side of things, why not consider Electrical and Electronic Engineering?
Reply 3
Original post by RedSoldiier
So I'm 17 and thinking of what course to pick for university, I was thinking of engineering because I like the electrical side of it but wanted to ask a few questions.

I'm 17 as well. My dad's a civil engineer - civil engineers mainly designing and maintaing structures such as roads and bridges etc. Though i don't think there is a lot of electrical aspects of engineering involved.

Mechanical engineers tend to be a bit more focused on physics - they design, maintain mechanical systems (like in cars). I would assume you get a little more electrical involvement in mechanics as opposed to civil

P.S Which engineering am I GUARANTEED a job?

I don't think any degree fully guarantees you a job. From my limited knowledge i would assume mechanical engineers will have more job preferences but you would have to check with someone else sorry!

If you are interested in the electrical side of things then why don't you consider Elextrical Engineering.

Civil engineers deal with the design, construction, surveying and maintenance of the built environment (roads, bridges, skyscrapers, dams, stadia, underground tunnels, floating structures).

Mechanical engineers deal with the design, manufacturing and maintenance of manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices.

At the end of the day every discipline of engineering scratches the same itch (the one of applying physical knowledge to problem solving) whether it is designing a circuitry, tuning a spacecraft engine, or building a suspension bridge.
Reply 5
Civil vs. Mechanical?

The way I see it: A good mechanical engineer could design a bridge, A good civil engineer would not be able to design an engine.

I dont think there is much difference in pay and job prospects.

I would recommend a masters degree in whichever discipline you choose, most employers seem to prefer this.

You are very fortunate to be interested in Engineering and not Film Studies.
Original post by Dans77b
Civil vs. Mechanical?

The way I see it: A good mechanical engineer could design a bridge, A good civil engineer would not be able to design an engine.

I dont think there is much difference in pay and job prospects.

I would recommend a masters degree in whichever discipline you choose, most employers seem to prefer this.

You are very fortunate to be interested in Engineering and not Film Studies.

If it was that simple I think someone would have figured it out by now and the Civil Engineering discipline would have become depreciated.
Reply 7
Original post by Major_Bscuit
If it was that simple I think someone would have figured it out by now and the Civil Engineering discipline would have become depreciated.

I also think that's an unfair comparison, they are different disciplines but mechanical is obviously broader.

It's like saying a good civil engineer will know about how soil mechanics affects structures and a good mechanical engineer wouldn't know that stuff...
Original post by a10
I also think that's an unfair comparison, they are different disciplines but mechanical is obviously broader.

It's like saying a good civil engineer will know about how soil mechanics affects structures and a good mechanical engineer wouldn't know that stuff...

Mechanical is broader but if we are going to argue about that, Aeronautical and Mechanical have much more common ground than Civil and Mechanical.
Reply 9
Original post by Major_Bscuit
Aeronautical and Mechanical have much more common ground than Civil and Mechanical.

Yes of course, Aeronautical is essentially a branch of Mechanical Engineering...it should really be called "Mechanical engineering with more fluid dynamics and application to aircraft" lol :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending