The Student Room Group

Good degree grade - Weak UCAS points - Graduate Scheme Apps

To cut to the chase:

- Got about 270 UCAS (240 if only countng top 3 A-levels)
- 1st Class in Biomedical Science
- As the UCAS points will suggest, the degree wasn't obtained from a prestigious University
- Work exp = predominantly retail work

I've been looking at graduate schemes, many requesting 280-320+ UCAS points. I'm aware this is a filter to deal with the overwhelming amount of applications HR receive, and of course there will be many candidates in a better position.

I'm just wondering if anyone can provide a greater insight into how much of a hindrance this could potentially be in regards to graduate schemes? And perhaps some advice on how I could strengthen my applications and compensate for my weak areas.

Any input would be appreciated. Peace
If a grad scheme requires 280+ points then unfortunately that's just one of the criteria and you're unable to meet it. But the good news is there aren't many grad schemes with this requirement - especially if you don't want to go into accounting/IB/consultancy. There are lots of schemes in general management, IT, science, data, finance, HR, etc with big organisations - NHS, Civil Service, supermarkets, big retail groups, etc., that don't care what you got at A Level.

Some such as the Civil Service don't even care about your degree - you need a 2:2 to access the application system but from then on everything is literally decided on the basis of your performance in the assessments. So with a first there are still lots of options for you - the best thing you can do is get any experience you can and be able to link it really well to the skills required by the scheme.
Reply 2
It'll rule you out of a fair few of the more competitive schemes, but there's lots out there so just pass them over and move on to the next thing.

As above says, plenty of opportunities out there.
It'll be challenging. But it's worth noting that some companies give you a free text field into which you put a justification of why you should be considered when didn't make the grades. Also: read the fine print on the careers websites. I've seen at least one of the major employers regularly waive their 320 requirement for those who went on to achieve a first.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest