The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Birmingham to Coventry?

I'm hoping to study BA Geography starting September 2015 at Coventry, but I think I'll be staying at home and commuting everyday. Am I more likely to miss out on things? And what would the social be like if I was living at home in Birmingham?

Also what is the course like if anyone has done it, is there a lot of presentations?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kirsttthow
I'm hoping to study BA Geography starting September 2015 at Coventry, but I think I'll be staying at home and commuting everyday. Am I more likely to miss out on things? And what would the social be like if I was living at home in Birmingham?

Also what is the course like if anyone has done it, is there a lot of presentations?

Hi kirsttthow!

I'm really pleased to hear that you're hoping to study at Coventry in September! To be honest, I think you're at an advantage as Birmingham and Coventry are so close together. I'm from Birmingham and I moved in to Singer Hall in my fresher year, and commuted for next two years and I didn't miss out on things. Now, I'm back in Coventry as a graduate working at the University!

University in general is a whole different way of life, because you are going to meet people who will become friends for life. In my final two years when I commuted, if there was a night out planned I often stayed at a course mates house, or someone who I lived with in my first year. Students are friendly like that!

So I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on things! There are also lots of other activities that happen during the day, such as Freshers Fair, social drinks in Square One and lots of shopping to be done!

Hope this helps, and we look forward to welcoming you in September!

Jordan
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Hey! Honestly, I would live in the accomodation at Coventry. I lived in Coventry initially but still moved into the accommodation. I don't regret it at all. Made all my best mates from where I live, not from my course! You will miss out on a lot :/ (Just my opinion)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya,

I lived at home the first year (the accommodation prices are ridiculous!) and I've moved into a house this year. I'm planning to move back out for my last two years.

My course is smallish so I made sure to join a couple of societies and I made good friends there and I didn't feel like I was missing out at all. For nights out, I either stayed at a friend's house or got a late-late train back to Birmingham.

If you did want to go into halls, I've visited most of them and some are amazing, and some are vile - do NOT go into Quadrant! I wouldn't get student housing unless you've seen the house either, a lot of first-years don't check out the house first (due to living too far away, applying for accommodation late etc) and they all seem awful and overpriced.

It is nice to live there this year, but I don't mind the commute either. Hope this helped, good luck for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest