The Student Room Group

Got ALL B's in my GCSE's.. medicine

I gott all B's in my GCSE, just one A* and A but in irrelevant subjects. I want to do medicine in imperial. do i have no chance even if my a levels are good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ebruxoxo
I gott all B's in my GCSE, just one A* and A but in irrelevant subjects. I want to do medicine in imperial. do i have no chance even if my a levels are good?

Moved to Medicine forum :smile:
This is going to sound horrible, but it's very, very unlikely. Perhaps at another university, but not somewhere like Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Edminzodo
This is going to sound horrible, but it's very, very unlikely. Perhaps at another university, but not somewhere like Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think if i retake?
Reply 4

Sorry but you have no chance.

No:
'You will also be required to offer grades AAABB, in any order, in the following GCSEs:

English Language

Mathematics

Biology

Chemistry

Physics'

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/mbbsmedicine/entryrequirements
Reply 6

Afraid not, most uni's particularly for medicine do not accept retaken grades at either A-Level or GCSE. First time only.

However, that doesn't mean you have no chance. Just not likely at imperial. Have you looked into any other uni's that offer medicine that don't have such high competition?
Reply 7
No, apply to places where you meet the entry requirements.
Reply 8
I would first ask yourself why you got all B's. If you worked hard and still got B's in the sciences, I'm afraid you wouldn't cope with medicine. If there is a good reason that you underperformed, your best bet might be an application after a gap year with good achieved grades, but you would still be extremely limited in your choices.
It's just about applying strategically. For all we know, you can do really well in your a levels. Phone the universities and ask what your best doing, there are other factors that universities use to assess possible candidates,, each Uni is different so I would ask around.
Reply 10

You will struggle a lot everywhere only having those gcse grades. You need to start researching where your grades meet the minimum requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's to say your A levels will be good (AAA at least) if you worked hard and still got B's at GCSE? Medicine is one of the toughest degrees you can do. Resitting doesn't guarantee improvement either, and may affect your A-level studies.

Your current GCSE grades won't cut it for Imperial. They have minimum requirements but most successful applicants will exceed those requirements. They will cut it for other medical schools, look at this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Bear in mind, GCSEs are a small fraction of a medical application, there's a lot of other criteria.
OP, think about grad entry. Do well in your A-Levels, get a good degree at university and your GCSE's won't count.
Reply 13
Original post by vortex_199
OP, think about grad entry. Do well in your A-Levels, get a good degree at university and your GCSE's won't count.

People are talking about GEM disappearing over the next few years though. Not to mention the 60:1 applicant to place ratios.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
People are talking about GEM disappearing over the next few years though. Not to mention the 60:1 applicant to place ratios.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh, that high? It still might be a more realistic plan, if it's still around. And if it isn't, I'm sure having a 1st in a degree will make GCSE's less important in undergrad med too.
GCSE doesnt mean anything... You can say you lived in abroad/were homeschooled and just moved back before your GCSE exams, or millions of other excuses which would make your redundant.
what makes you think you can get good a-levels with straight Bs....even people with straight A/A*s struggle to get AAA...

Most people always say: 'Can I get into medicine with poor gcses but if I did really well at A-level'?
Reply 17
If you smash your a levels then no worries
I don't like how GCSEs are such a determining part for most courses. I never bothered with my GCSEs or even my future until near the end of my AS year. Had I known it was such a big factor (despite being so easy), I would have actually put effort into it.
Reply 19
Original post by solarplexus
what makes you think you can get good a-levels with straight Bs....even people with straight A/A*s struggle to get AAA...

Most people always say: 'Can I get into medicine with poor gcses but if I did really well at A-level'?

Then also I know people who got B's and C's who managed to get AAA in a level, so please dont be harsh and underestimate so much, i was only off A's by a mark or two in all my subjects and im thinking about resiting maths and science to get me higher grades aswell. What makes you think that i cant do well just because of not amazing gcses?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending