The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Stephenson Halls- Endcliffe

Can anyone who has stayed/ heard of Stephenson Halls help me? I have just been offered it and am a clearing student:

1) What are the rooms like and does anyone have pictures? I heard its an old building and bathrooms arent great? Are they cleaned?

2) I noticed its across the road from the main Endcliffe Village, does this limit how much goes in Stephenson Halls? It just seems weird to have a building across the road?

3) What are facilities like? As I am catered, where am I most likely to eat/ shop? Wheres the gym etc?

4) I am in ACSE building and heard its quite a far walk? Which bus would I take to get there and do you recommend bringing a bike? I heard its uphill on the way back!

Appreciate theres a lot of questions but I am really worried about accomodation. I didnt want shared bathroom (very worried about this) or catered but I appreciate how lucky I am to have got a place. Any advice would be amazing!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by momanium
Can anyone who has stayed/ heard of Stephenson Halls help me? I have just been offered it and am a clearing student:

1) What are the rooms like and does anyone have pictures? I heard its an old building and bathrooms arent great? Are they cleaned?

2) I noticed its across the road from the main Endcliffe Village, does this limit how much goes in Stephenson Halls? It just seems weird to have a building across the road?

3) What are facilities like? As I am catered, where am I most likely to eat/ shop? Wheres the gym etc?

4) I am in ACSE building and heard its quite a far walk? Which bus would I take to get there and do you recommend bringing a bike? I heard its uphill on the way back!

Appreciate theres a lot of questions but I am really worried about accomodation. I didnt want shared bathroom (very worried about this) or catered but I appreciate how lucky I am to have got a place. Any advice would be amazing!

Same here (insurance student). Looks like all insurance/clearing students have been dumped into Stephenson. Only posting so i 'watch' the thread since i am also interested in those questions.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Haha in exactly the same position. G09 in stephenson. Clearing sudent
Reply 3
Original post by _Morsey_
Same here (insurance student). Looks like all insurance/clearing students have been dumped into Stephenson. Only posting so i 'watch' the thread since i am also interested in those questions.

Yeah it seems like a lot of people from clearing got it but having said that I am following the "freshers 2014" Facebook page and more and more people got other accommodation so it wasnt exclusively Stephenson.

Irritatingly, there seems to be very little info about Stephenson although I have found out its an older building with worse facilities than most. Not that annoyed about bathroom to be honest, my three siblings all shared first year and they said its fine. Just buy a pair of slippers, dressing gown and a wash bag. I will shave and brush my teeth in my room and apparently there isn't normally a clash with showers as people have different timetables.

Catered is what annoys me the most, the food is certain to be **** (particularly as I have special requirements) and we only get 46 quid a week. Thats roughly 6 a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as coffee etc. Its just a massive con for guaranteed custom to keep them in business, another post said that there isnt any benefit to going non-catered and then topping up your card whenever you want. I dont think the food is even cheaper for us!

Mixed feelings tbh. At least we got accomodation...
Yeah it seems like a lot of people from clearing got it but having said that I am following the "freshers 2014" Facebook page and more and more people got other accommodation so it wasnt exclusively Stephenson.

Irritatingly, there seems to be very little info about Stephenson although I have found out its an older building with worse facilities than most. Not that annoyed about bathroom to be honest, my three siblings all shared first year and they said its fine. Just buy a pair of slippers, dressing gown and a wash bag. I will shave and brush my teeth in my room and apparently there isn't normally a clash with showers as people have different timetables.

Catered is what annoys me the most, the food is certain to be **** (particularly as I have special requirements) and we only get 46 quid a week. Thats roughly 6 a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as coffee etc. Its just a massive con for guaranteed custom to keep them in business, another post said that there isnt any benefit to going non-catered and then topping up your card whenever you want. I dont think the food is even cheaper for us!

This (bold text) is what is annoying me the most. I did take a look at the Stephenson pdf file that came with the contract but Stephenson is very lacking in information. It would be nice to see a picture or two of the halls/rooms/bathrooms but all images on the website are all relating to the 'new' Endcliffe buildings.
I've also ended up with Stephenson as Sheff was my insurance, SW5.17 for anyone interested. Pretty worried about being catered as I like to track my calories and that won't be possible....
Original post by Weenja
Haha in exactly the same position. G09 in stephenson. Clearing sudent

Haha you're in the room right across from where I was last year, hopefully Kenny didn't make too much of a mess of it :tongue:

Anyway to answering OPs questions

The rooms are either pretty damn big or absolutely tiny depending on where you go, even the smallest rooms in Stephenson A-G are a lot bigger than the ones in main Endcliffe but the ones in SW are abysmal. The bathrooms are ok but they're shared which can be annoying at the beginning of the year however everyone settles in quite quickly, and they're cleaned and you get free, not entirely horrendous toilet paper which is a plus.

A lot happens in Stephenson, it doesn't really make that much difference from main Endcliffe.

Since you're catered you'll eat your tea at the Edge diner or bar most of the time, although to be honest the food is better elsewhere if you're willing to walk around and pay the extra cost. For lunch there are a bunch of places on campus where you can get sandwiches, wraps, stuff like that. There's also the village store which is pretty much a small corner shop where you can use your genius money. For handling the money you get, I'd say buy your cereal and some lunches with real money.

The ACSE building is about 30 minutes walk away from Stephenson, although it'll be more like 25 at the end of the year. Considering most other people will make a 20 minute walk at least it's not that far and the bus isn't really needed, not to mention a decent chunk of those minutes would be walking to a bus stop.

Most of us in Stephenson got there because we applied for accommodation late, because Sheffield was our insurance choice or because they didn't think they would have time to cook so you'll be with people who are in a similar situation to you and the floors/blocks are quite big so chances are you'll find quite a few people you get on with.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Haha you're in the room right across from where I was last year, hopefully Kenny didn't make too much of a mess of it :tongue:

The rooms are either pretty damn big or absolutely tiny depending on where you go, even the smallest rooms in Stephenson A-G are a lot bigger than the ones in main Endcliffe but the ones in SW are abysmal. The bathrooms are ok but they're shared which can be annoying at the beginning of the year however everyone settles in quite quickly, and they're cleaned and you get free, not entirely horrendous toilet paper which is a plus.

A lot happens in Stephenson, it doesn't really make that much difference from main Endcliffe.

Since you're catered you'll eat your tea at the Edge diner or bar most of the time, although to be honest the food is better elsewhere if you're willing to walk around and pay the extra cost. For lunch there are a bunch of places on campus where you can get sandwiches, wraps, stuff like that. There's also the village store which is pretty much a small corner shop where you can use your genius money. For handling the money you get, I'd say buy your cereal and some lunches with real money.

The ACSE building is about 30 minutes walk away from Stephenson, although it'll be more like 25 at the end of the year. Considering most other people will make a 20 minute walk at least it's not that far and the bus isn't really needed, not to mention a decent chunk of those minutes would be walking to a bus stop.

Most of us in Stephenson got there because we applied for accommodation late, because Sheffield was our insurance choice or because they didn't think they would have time to cook so you'll be with people who are in a similar situation to you and the floors/blocks are quite big so chances are you'll find quite a few people you get on with.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Damn, I am in SW :angry::eek::frown:

Be honest, what was wrong with the sw flats?
Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

Damn, I am in SW :angry::eek::frown:

Be honest, what was wrong with the sw flats?

Well the shared areas like the bathrooms are fine, the rooms are just lacking, especially compared to A-G next door where the rooms are twice the size. The kitchens are small so no oven, you only get a microwave, one hob, a toaster, kettle, fridge and sink, but that's just what you get with catered accommodation, it's not a problem with just SW.
Reply 9
Well the shared areas like the bathrooms are fine, the rooms are just lacking, especially compared to A-G next door where the rooms are twice the size. The kitchens are small so no oven, you only get a microwave, one hob, a toaster, kettle, fridge and sink, but that's just what you get with catered accommodation, it's not a problem with just SW.

Fair enough. Thanks for the honesty.

Guess I will have to just make do, I didnt realise we got any cooking stuff so at least you could make some stuff to eat yourself. Wonder how strict they are...
Fair enough. Thanks for the honesty.

Guess I will have to just make do, I didnt realise we got any cooking stuff so at least you could make some stuff to eat yourself. Wonder how strict they are...

They're not strict at all, except when it comes to unreported damages where it's more complicated. Otherwise the worst that will happen is you'll get a note saying to clean up your room. In terms of neighbours complaining about you, you'll just get a few residential mentors giving you a visit and they're generally quite nice so mostly you'll get a "Yeah guys if you could do that at a lower volume or less obviously, that would be great" kind of response from them.

I guess I can be honest because despite all the downfalls of Stephenson I really enjoyed my time there and met some great people. It's also not all bad because Stephenson has study rooms, a computer room and a decent common room which are quite convenient.
(edited 9 years ago)

Thanks so much for this... It's really helpful to hear from someone who is honest and knows what they're talking about!!
Reply 12

Ugh this is annoying, i got self catered en-suit in allen court (city campus) when i wanted catered....
Original post by Samm10
Ugh this is annoying, i got self catered en-suit in allen court (city campus) when i wanted catered....

Was Sheffield your firm?
Reply 14
Was Sheffield your firm?

No i went through clearing
Original post by mattbiochemist
Thanks so much for this... It's really helpful to hear from someone who is honest and knows what they're talking about!!

No problem mate

And for those who want pictures, these are of my room, bear in mind that I took these pretty soon after I moved in, I'm a horrible photographer and this is probably one of the worse rooms in A-G, there's also a sink and mirror in the corner that I missed. I don't think I have any pictures of the shared areas, unless you count the one of the Christmas cone which has the kitchen in the background.
IMG_20130927_160200.jpg IMG_20130927_160213.jpg IMG_20130927_160217.jpg
Original post by Samm10
No i went through clearing

Wow really? I would've preferred self-catering and en-suite but was offered Stephenson (so neither). Would've been nice for Sheffield to ask for 2nd / 3rd options etc. rather than just one.

Probably got put into Stephenson since i applied for Endcliffe.
Reply 17
Wow really? I would've preferred self-catering and en-suite but was offered Stephenson (so neither). Would've been nice for Sheffield to ask for 2nd / 3rd options etc. rather than just one.

Probably got put into Stephenson since i applied for Endcliffe.

Yeah it would have been nice, i just really dont want to have to cook for myself haha :/ im not even bothered about sharing bathrooms either. At least youre in endcliffe though, apparently city campus is really boring
Reply 18
Haha you're in the room right across from where I was last year, hopefully Kenny didn't make too much of a mess of it :tongue: .

Ah that's cool :biggrin:

So tell me about G. Is A to G blocks or floors? And what was living in G like. Here's hoping Kenny's room is good hehe

Thanks for the info BTW. Not too sure what the ACSE building is
Original post by Weenja
Ah that's cool :biggrin:

So tell me about G. Is A to G blocks or floors? And what was living in G like. Here's hoping Kenny's room is good hehe

Thanks for the info BTW. Not too sure what the ACSE building is

A to G is blocks and they're all same sex, G is the biggest of them with 17 rooms so you end up with a pretty big group of friends from the start, at least that's how it worked with us and now 9 of us are living together this year.

In terms of how to use G block, the plumbing can be pretty poor at times and no hot water wasn't as uncommon an occurance as would be ideal however this is usually fixed by leaving the shower or tap on for about half an hour. The fuse for the fridge in the kitchen is a bit dodgy so you might have to move it into the corridor. That said, in general if something isn't working as it should, call maintenance as they're usually quite quick. If you press down on the mic on the phones then you will annoy your neighbours as it comes out of the intercoms and you can hear it through most of the block, so don't do it.

Make use of the small shops around Broomhill (top of Glossop road area) instead of always going to the village store, Select and Save is a great place to buy drinks and for groceries I found the Tesco to be the best even if it means walking a bit further.

Oh and for taxis and pizza delivery, say which entrance you want to be picked up from/delivered to.

I think that's it :smile:

edit: woops forgot about the ACSE bit, the ACSE building is called the Amy Johnson building, it's down the street on the right of Mappin which is another building you'll spend a lot of time in.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending