The Student Room Group

I recently finished a 4 year degree in chemistry at hull university, AMA!

Hey all, i recently finished a 4 year degree in chemistry at hull university so any questions to do with chemistry, hull uni, or fresher/uni life in general then ask away! :smile:
Original post by truechristian91
Hey all, i recently finished a 4 year degree in chemistry at hull university so any questions to do with chemistry, hull uni, or fresher/uni life in general then ask away! :smile:

Where there any placements during uni and was the sandwich course popular?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Whilst residing in the university's halls, how many times did you flush the toilet.
Did you have a year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Freiheit
Where there any placements during uni and was the sandwich course popular?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were placements available, i myself didnt take one but i understood they were very popular and good for those who did them. Sandwich courses were pretty common i found, and in no way detracted from the person or degree.

Original post by Miscer-22
Whilst residing in the university's halls, how many times did you flush the toilet.

Every single time :P

Original post by Excelebration
Did you have a year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt, although one was avaible for me if i wanted. But it would have most likely taken place somewhere in the uk, as that is where most 3rd year industrial placements take place.
Reply 5

Whats's the night life like heard the city's not the best but the su is good and do you know anyone doing chemical engineering? or if it's a well run course at Hull?
Who were your closest friends? Did your flatmates become your best friends or were you very different?
Do you know any experiences of people sharing rooms?
Are you still good friends with all your sixth-form friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abuckers
Whats's the night life like heard the city's not the best but the su is good and do you know anyone doing chemical engineering? or if it's a well run course at Hull?

Night life is pretty decent, you will soon find a couple of night clubs or pubs that suit you. SU is pretty decent as well.

Chemical engineering, i dont know about that in particular, but the chemistry department as a whole is a really good well run department.

Original post by Excelebration
Who were your closest friends? Did your flatmates become your best friends or were you very different?
Do you know any experiences of people sharing rooms?
Are you still good friends with all your sixth-form friends?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in the end it was a mix of friends on my course, and ones i met in halls etc. flat mates became mates but maybe not best mates.

no i dont, and i dont think you do that at hull at all.

i was with some of them, my good ones at least.
Night life is pretty decent, you will soon find a couple of night clubs or pubs that suit you. SU is pretty decent as well.

Chemical engineering, i dont know about that in particular, but the chemistry department as a whole is a really good well run department.

in the end it was a mix of friends on my course, and ones i met in halls etc. flat mates became mates but maybe not best mates.

no i dont, and i dont think you do that at hull at all.

i was with some of them, my good ones at least.

Haha I'm not going to Hull but why shouldn't you share there? :P
Reply 9
If you did a 4 year course, I'm guessing it was MChem? What will you do now?
Reply 10
Fellow chemistry student here!

I'm going into my 2nd year at uni and currently on the 4 year MChem course.

I'm having a hard time determining whether or not I should pursue the 4 year or drop down to the 3 year. My main reason for this is because I don't think I'm academically gifted enough for it. I got a 1st for my first year...but I had to work very hard for that, and of course its only first year. I really don't think I'm smart enough for the 4 year course.

Other than that, any tips for going into 2nd year and for a chemistry degree in general?
oooo my mate goes there he said a good majority of the class were idiots (one didn't even know what heating under reflux was :-/)
Original post by Naami
Fellow chemistry student here!

I'm going into my 2nd year at uni and currently on the 4 year MChem course.

I'm having a hard time determining whether or not I should pursue the 4 year or drop down to the 3 year. My main reason for this is because I don't think I'm academically gifted enough for it. I got a 1st for my first year...but I had to work very hard for that, and of course its only first year. I really don't think I'm smart enough for the 4 year course.

Other than that, any tips for going into 2nd year and for a chemistry degree in general?

Do you want to work in something related to chemistry after you graduate?

Doing an extra year doesn't necessarily mean you have to be smarter. A first is a great result, regardless of year, because it sets you up well for what's to come. I'm guessing you can decide right up until the end of second year, right? so see how it goes for now. Your tutor might have some advice, but with those grades, I doubt they will see anything of concern.

First semester of second year is the worst part of the degree (so far in my experience, just starting fourth year), so don't lose heart. I sat and questioned what I was even doing on the course, and that I couldn't cope. It will probably happen at some point, but it gets better :smile: just continue doing what you're doing really - because it seems to be working. Lots of it can just be hard work, you don't have to be a natural brainbox; we'd all be doomed if that was the case.
Reply 13
Original post by Nymthae
Do you want to work in something related to chemistry after you graduate?

Doing an extra year doesn't necessarily mean you have to be smarter. A first is a great result, regardless of year, because it sets you up well for what's to come. I'm guessing you can decide right up until the end of second year, right? so see how it goes for now. Your tutor might have some advice, but with those grades, I doubt they will see anything of concern.

First semester of second year is the worst part of the degree (so far in my experience, just starting fourth year), so don't lose heart. I sat and questioned what I was even doing on the course, and that I couldn't cope. It will probably happen at some point, but it gets better :smile: just continue doing what you're doing really - because it seems to be working. Lots of it can just be hard work, you don't have to be a natural brainbox; we'd all be doomed if that was the case.

No, I don't want to work in a chemistry related field (this is my feeling atm though which could change) but a masters is better than a bachelors regardless of this fact, right? Plus it is covered by SLC which is something not everyone would get! Part of my plan was waiting till end of 2nd year to see how I feel but I wanted to get some other perspective on it. True, it's just an extra year...but is your masters year which I believe would be harder than your standard 3 year course.

Hmm I thinking of doing some part time work in the first semester...I don't really need the money but I thought it would be good to have it anyway. But if first term is really that hard I may rethink!

Quick Reply

Latest