The Student Room Group

Pilot Modular Route

Just curious about the modular route taken to become a pilot...
What is the route generally, PPL to ATPL exams, etc...
Also, how would this be viewed upon by airlines (since I cannot afford the integrated route), and would I still be able to hold a full time jobs whilst completing my studies. Also how long would it take to complete all of training?
Many thanks:smile:
Original post by Jack Sto
Also, how would this be viewed upon by airlines (since I cannot afford the integrated route), and would I still be able to hold a full time jobs whilst completing my studies. Also how long would it take to complete all of training?

Hi Jack

The PPRuNE Wannabe subforum is chock full of exactly the information you need.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies-14/

S

The modular route is pretty flexible, you can do it close to full time or a slower pace whilst working.
The normal route seems to be
- PPL
- night rating
- ATPLs/hour building
- CPL
- IR
- MCC

To be honest I am a firm believer in the integrated route, however take what the schools tell you with a truck load full of salt. They seem to have dominated the market, I do feel that if you want to be an airline pilot you would be best to first exhaust all avenues of tagged airline schemes such as the British Airways future pilot programme as these will put you in the best position for the future and the closest thing to a guaranteed job. The job market is literally flooded with low hour pilots.

I've not done the modular route but I would suggest working full time whilst doing the ATPLs would be an almighty challenge, however I know someone who has done this!

If you are serious about becoming a pilot I strongly advise that you visit the professional flight training exhibition at Heathrow airport, it is well worth the visit.

You could probably do it all in 18 months full time with no breaks.

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by stevop21
The modular route is pretty flexible, you can do it close to full time or a slower pace whilst working.
The normal route seems to be
- PPL
- night rating
- ATPLs/hour building
- CPL
- IR
- MCC

To be honest I am a firm believer in the integrated route, however take what the schools tell you with a truck load full of salt. They seem to have dominated the market, I do feel that if you want to be an airline pilot you would be best to first exhaust all avenues of tagged airline schemes such as the British Airways future pilot programme as these will put you in the best position for the future and the closest thing to a guaranteed job. The job market is literally flooded with low hour pilots.

I've not done the modular route but I would suggest working full time whilst doing the ATPLs would be an almighty challenge, however I know someone who has done this!

If you are serious about becoming a pilot I strongly advise that you visit the professional flight training exhibition at Heathrow airport, it is well worth the visit.

You could probably do it all in 18 months full time with no breaks.

Good luck!

Hi Steve!
Thanks for the reply, I'm just wondering when the BA FPP opens, does it take place every year or is it just a one off?
Understand what you say about the modular route because I wouldn't have a lot of hours even after getting a fATPL. Would a school leaver be a suitable candidate for the programme of would it best to go to uni first?
Conor
Hi Steve!
Thanks for the reply, I'm just wondering when the BA FPP opens, does it take place every year or is it just a one off?
Understand what you say about the modular route because I wouldn't have a lot of hours even after getting a fATPL. Would a school leaver be a suitable candidate for the programme of would it best to go to uni first?
Conor

The pilot market can be so unpredictable, it can often be difficult to predict what will happen weeks ahead let along years! The BA FPP has opened for the past 3 years, the previous 2 have been around November time, the announcement has coincided with the Professional Flight Training Exhibition at Heathrow. I'm not sure if it will run again this year.

Yes there are school levers on the programme. I would never discourage anyone from furthering their education but it's certainly not a necessity to have a degree.

Good luck
Reply 5
The pilot market can be so unpredictable, it can often be difficult to predict what will happen weeks ahead let along years! The BA FPP has opened for the past 3 years, the previous 2 have been around November time, the announcement has coincided with the Professional Flight Training Exhibition at Heathrow. I'm not sure if it will run again this year.

Yes there are school levers on the programme. I would never discourage anyone from furthering their education but it's certainly not a necessity to have a degree.

Good luck

Do you have any advice on what would be an ideal job to have if I were to take a gap year and then apply that year? I'm thinking about a degree in physics or mathematics but which would be best?
Reply 6

Good luck

Are you a pilot yourself by the way? Would you recommend the career if so?
Thanks!
Do you have any advice on what would be an ideal job to have if I were to take a gap year and then apply that year? I'm thinking about a degree in physics or mathematics but which would be best?

To be honest I would do whatever you want, a gap year is designed to be fun right? Again it doesn't matter, just choose whatever you will do the best in and whatever interests you the most.

Are you a pilot yourself by the way? Would you recommend the career if so?
Thanks!

Not yet, but getting there. Currently doing CPL training. It's hard to say, it can be very difficult to get a job with low hours straight out of flight school. You will put yourself in a much better position if you go along a tagged cadet scheme route. It can disrupt your lifestyle, be hard to hold down relationships, make it impossible to commit to regular social activites, miss birthdays, weddings etc... BUT if you truly love flying, enjoy seeing other places and are confident in speaking and getting on with people who you have only just met then go for it.
Reply 8
To be honest I would do whatever you want, a gap year is designed to be fun right? Again it doesn't matter, just choose whatever you will do the best in and whatever interests you the most.

Not yet, but getting there. Currently doing CPL training. It's hard to say, it can be very difficult to get a job with low hours straight out of flight school. You will put yourself in a much better position if you go along a tagged cadet scheme route. It can disrupt your lifestyle, be hard to hold down relationships, make it impossible to commit to regular social activites, miss birthdays, weddings etc... BUT if you truly love flying, enjoy seeing other places and are confident in speaking and getting on with people who you have only just met then go for it.

But what would be the best full time job to have before applying via the FPP scheme (something that looks good on CV when applying) do you think?

That's the only worry, actually getting into the programme, getting the money for the programme, and getting a job at the end of it.
But what would be the best full time job to have before applying via the FPP scheme (something that looks good on CV when applying) do you think?

That's the only worry, actually getting into the programme, getting the money for the programme, and getting a job at the end of it.

I would pick something that you want to do, honestly no job is better than another. It's what you can gain from it that's more important, solid examples of teamwork, leadership, communication and risk assessment will be needed to successfully pass the competency based interviews that airlines will look for.

You don't need any money or assets to be a part of the FPP. BA will guarantee the loan for the full amount for all successful applicants that require it.
Reply 10
I would pick something that you want to do, honestly no job is better than another. It's what you can gain from it that's more important, solid examples of teamwork, leadership, communication and risk assessment will be needed to successfully pass the competency based interviews that airlines will look for.

You don't need any money or assets to be a part of the FPP. BA will guarantee the loan for the full amount for all successful applicants that require it.

Okay thanks! Well I'll concentrate on my A levels for now and then get a job and apply for the FPP from there! By the way, when would I have to apply for it- would it be this November if I wanted to start in November 2015 or the following year?
Thanks for the help :smile:
Okay thanks! Well I'll concentrate on my A levels for now and then get a job and apply for the FPP from there! By the way, when would I have to apply for it- would it be this November if I wanted to start in November 2015 or the following year?
Thanks for the help :smile:

You need to apply with your a-level results in hand, they won't accept predicted grades. So it would have to be the November after you've had your results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending