The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Any Nerds/Geeks?

In terms of the proper term not the fashion statement :/....lets have a chat :biggrin:
Reply 1
I'm a full time nerd/geek, hello friend@

I don't think I look like one, you would never guess I've spent the last 7 years playing an MMO and shout BANKAI! when fight scenes start in Bleach :colondollar:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
The night is dark and full of "nerds" and "geeks". Me probably being one of them

Hi, fellow nerdy gentlemen here. My main obsession is Pokemon namely the wonderful dragon in my profile pic :smile:
What is a nerd and what is a geek? Are they the same thing? Is it just someone with no social skills?
Reply 4
Original post by cole-slaw
What is a nerd and what is a geek? Are they the same thing? Is it just someone with no social skills?

Ask modern society
Original post by Tench
Ask modern society

I'm curious how self-defined geeks and nerds see themselves.

I mean I quite like star trek and physics and stuff but I would never describe myself as a geek because to my mind it conjures up the socially awkward characters of the big bang theory.
Reply 6
I'm curious how self-defined geeks and nerds see themselves.

I mean I quite like star trek and physics and stuff but I would never describe myself as a geek because to my mind it conjures up the socially awkward characters of the big bang theory.

Hardly. the characters you see in shows like the Big Bang Theory are just characters. Really just stereotypical representations of what society thinks "nerds/geeks" are

Those who commonly refer to themselves as nerds/geeks do so because of a great interest in a particular thing or number of things. For instance, many people call themselves nerds because they really enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones)

It takes a few visits to large cons like MCM to realise that most people under this self proclaimed moniker are just ordinary people with extraordinary passion for something
Original post by Tench
Hardly. the characters you see in shows like the Big Bang Theory are just characters. Really just stereotypical representations of what society thinks "nerds/geeks" are

Those who commonly refer to themselves as nerds/geeks do so because of a great interest in a particular thing or number of things. For instance, many people call themselves nerds because they really enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones)

It takes a few visits to large cons like MCM to realise that most people under this self proclaimed moniker are just ordinary people with extraordinary passion for something

I like Game of Thrones, I still wouldn't say it makes me a geek.

So you think the definition of a geek is someone with a great interest (ie obsession) with one particular thing?

Can the obsession be with anything? or just specific types of things? Like if someone was obsessed with american football or casual sex, would he be a geek?
Reply 8
I like Game of Thrones, I still wouldn't say it makes me a geek.

So you think the definition of a geek is someone with a great interest (ie obsession) with one particular thing?

Can the obsession be with anything? or just specific types of things? Like if someone was obsessed with american football or casual sex, would he be a geek?

Yeah. The word/s isnt really stringently defined officially.
Reply 9
For every one thing Big Bang Theory gets right about us they get a thousand more wrong, I find that's the best way to describe the show.

I'm a gamer, Otaku, digital artist, and a serious forum user. So yeah I guess you could say nerd, Otaku sounds way cooler though.

Quick Reply

Latest