The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine in India

Hi everyone......Has anyone tried applying to study medicine in India? Do they take students with A-Levels, but without taking A-Level English ?? In some places, I see that they ask for A-Level English. Is this compulsory for all medical schools in India ?

Thanks for any help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NPWorld
Hi everyone......Has anyone tried applying to study medicine in India? Do they take students with A-Levels, but without taking A-Level English ?? In some places, I see that they ask for A-Level English. Is this compulsory for all medical schools in India ?

First things first, You won't be able to work in the UK (assuming you are a UK citizen/resident who is planning on completing medical training in India) with an Indian MBBS, you'll have to sit the PLAB to get registered onto the GMC recognised Doctors list, which let me tell you now, is an extremely demanding and horrific exam.

As far as Medicine in India goes; it isn't all that popular in India. there are very few seats, compared to over here (UK). there are however fantastic institutions such as AIIMS. You'll have to sit a competitive entrance exam for most of the medical schools (however you can i think "Buy" yourself a place at some dodgey med school in India). You should also be aware of the Medical system in India. there is No *NHS*, it's pretty much privatised and your income depends on how well your practice runs/how reputable you are. So Unlike the UK Doctors in India are NOT guaranteed a high paid job at the end of it all, hence most doctors shift across to the UK or USA :cool:

I highly suggest you consider applying to one of the the medical schools in the UK (again I'm assuming you're living here haha), if you don't get in then take a gap year. if still no luck then go to Europe like Prague, or even Asia (China), avoid India (for medicine anyway).

just my thoughts and a few facts. good luck with whatever you decide :rock:
Original post by NPWorld

You have the opportunity to study medicine in England, why go to India. Are you from India? I'm not from here but I would never think to waste the opportunity of studying medicine in England to study in my own country:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by utkarsh.ojha
First things first, You won't be able to work in the UK (assuming you are a UK citizen/resident who is planning on completing medical training in India) with an Indian MBBS, you'll have to sit the PLAB to get registered onto the GMC recognised Doctors list, which let me tell you now, is an extremely demanding and horrific exam.

As far as Medicine in India goes; it isn't all that popular in India. there are very few seats, compared to over here (UK). there are however fantastic institutions such as AIIMS. You'll have to sit a competitive entrance exam for most of the medical schools (however you can i think "Buy" yourself a place at some dodgey med school in India). You should also be aware of the Medical system in India. there is No *NHS*, it's pretty much privatised and your income depends on how well your practice runs/how reputable you are. So Unlike the UK Doctors in India are NOT guaranteed a high paid job at the end of it all, hence most doctors shift across to the UK or USA :cool:

I highly suggest you consider applying to one of the the medical schools in the UK (again I'm assuming you're living here haha), if you don't get in then take a gap year. if still no luck then go to Europe like Prague, or even Asia (China), avoid India (for medicine anyway).

just my thoughts and a few facts. good luck with whatever you decide :rock:

Thanks for your reply. And yes I am well aware of the PLAB. As for the number of medical seats, there are way more in India, almost 51,000 seats as opposed to just 3500 in the UK. I am fine with doing the PLAB. I don't mind the work load in India either. Its just I am not sure whether I need A-Level English or not :smile: Most of the medical schools in India are also recognised by WHO and FAIMER. So that's not a problem either for me.
Reply 4
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
You have the opportunity to study medicine in England, why go to India. Are you from India? I'm not from here but I would never think to waste the opportunity of studying medicine in England to study in my own country:s-smilie:

Judging by the number of Indian doctors there are in this country, it shouldn't be too bad and I am a British citizen, so coming back should be easier. I am originally from India too. Yes, I know that it is valuable here too, but my grades are slightly lower than what it should be. So I would rather write the entrance exam in India and then study there, but still unsure about English though :smile:
Original post by NPWorld
Judging by the number of Indian doctors there are in this country, it shouldn't be too bad and I am a British citizen, so coming back should be easier. I am originally from India too. Yes, I know that it is valuable here too, but my grades are slightly lower than what it should be. So I would rather write the entrance exam in India and then study there, but still unsure about English though :smile:

Have you just finished AS or A2? What about GCSE. I only have 2 A*s but I found schools here that will take me.
Reply 6
Have you just finished AS or A2? What about GCSE. I only have 2 A*s but I found schools here that will take me.

Yes, I finished my A2. My GCSEs are fine, but only got ABB in Bio, Chem and Phy. I did have an offer to study at Aberdeen, but did not meet the conditions :frown:. But I am not giving up :cool:
Original post by NPWorld
Yes, I finished my A2. My GCSEs are fine, but only got ABB in Bio, Chem and Phy. I did have an offer to study at Aberdeen, but did not meet the conditions :frown:. But I am not giving up :cool:

What about reapplying here and resitting your exams. You're obviously capable of getting into medical school.
Original post by NPWorld
Thanks for your reply. And yes I am well aware of the PLAB. As for the number of medical seats, there are way more in India, almost 51,000 seats as opposed to just 3500 in the UK. I am fine with doing the PLAB. I don't mind the work load in India either. Its just I am not sure whether I need A-Level English or not :smile: Most of the medical schools in India are also recognised by WHO and FAIMER. So that's not a problem either for me.

Population of India- 1.2 Billion
Population of UK- 60 million,

I dont know the standard in Government universities but it is bad, in terms of facilities and good teachers. you will be better off going to a private university.

If youre ok with doing the PLAB and also the IELTS ( As you have not done your uni education in a english speaking country) then your choice, It will a long slog to get an equivalence here

Also why dont you apply in Prague or romania/bulgaria. Its dead cheap and you dont even have to do PLAB, start working straight away??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NPWorld

oh really? that many seats? ok, fair enough. A-level English probably not. they are very keen on Biology make sure you have A2 biology. Check for entrance exams too!! Also just check what language they'll teach in. Most probably English, but who knows with like 30 languages in India.

Good Luck.
Reply 10
Original post by sachinisgod
Population of India- 1.2 Billion
Population of UK- 60 million,

I dont know the standard in Government universities but it is bad, in terms of facilities and good teachers. you will be better off going to a private university.

If youre ok with doing the PLAB and also the IELTS ( As you have not done your uni education in a english speaking country) then your choice, It will a long slog to get an equivalence here

Also why dont you apply in Prague or romania/bulgaria. Its dead cheap and you dont even have to do PLAB, start working straight away??

Thank you, and no I don't intend to go to government medical schools, except the ones in the state of Kerala, as they are quite well developed in education and healthcare. I am looking for a good medical school in India and I am prepared to do their tests.

Yes, the process seems quite long, it could take almost 6 to 12 months to get into the UK :eek:. But that is fine. I can wait as long as I get to work as a doctor, even if it is India. Because wherever I am working, a doctor is a doctor, and I can help improve or save someone's life :smile:

Yes, I know it is competitive, but I am prepared to take the risk and I could try for the so called 'NRI' seats too. But the problem is, am I even eligible to apply without A-Level English ???

If I don't get into India, then I will try the European ones as a last resort (possibly Czech Republic). But if I study in Europe, won't I have language problems ?? I might not be able to interact with the patients as much :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by utkarsh.ojha
oh really? that many seats? ok, fair enough. A-level English probably not. they are very keen on Biology make sure you have A2 biology. Check for entrance exams too!! Also just check what language they'll teach in. Most probably English, but who knows with like 30 languages in India.

Good Luck.

Haha, yeah they are all in English from what I can see :smile:
Thank you very much for your help :biggrin:
Reply 12
What about reapplying here and resitting your exams. You're obviously capable of getting into medical school.

The problem is most medical schools won't accept resit candidates and I have no extenuating circumstances. And the ones that allow resits, requires you to have achieved AAB in the first attempt, which I don't have :frown:

So I guess India or Europe it is......unless I try graduate entry medicine, but that seems extremely competitive and has no guarantee of entry whatsoever :s-smilie:
Original post by NPWorld
Thank you, and no I don't intend to go to government medical schools, except the ones in the state of Kerala, as they are quite well developed in education and healthcare. I am looking for a good medical school in India and I am prepared to do their tests.

Yes, the process seems quite long, it could take almost 6 to 12 months to get into the UK :eek:. But that is fine. I can wait as long as I get to work as a doctor, even if it is India. Because wherever I am working, a doctor is a doctor, and I can help improve or save someone's life :smile:

Yes, I know it is competitive, but I am prepared to take the risk and I could try for the so called 'NRI' seats too. But the problem is, am I even eligible to apply without A-Level English ???

If I don't get into India, then I will try the European ones as a last resort (possibly Czech Republic). But if I study in Europe, won't I have language problems ?? I might not be able to interact with the patients as much :s-smilie:

Government universities are the same everywhere even Kerala (that was where my parents did their dentistry from so i know their horror stories)

And tbh you can only make it big in india if u have working experience in the west and have done masters for example then u can charge big bucks for private patients in India otherwise your scope of progression is very limited, Why do u think so many doctors and dentists from India come here?

Also if you are ready to buy the seat i dont think they will care about A level english. Money talks at the end of the day. Their entrance test isnt as easy as you think. Just look at the level of maths and chemistry a Year 12 student in India does and then you will see.

True the language is a problem, but thats why you learn it. If you didnt know, eastern europe is full of british asian medic/dental students. So if they can do it so can you lol
Reply 14
Original post by NPWorld

I find it very unlikely that you'd be expected to document your English ability with A-level English, if you went through primary school and high school being taught in English in an English-speaking country. The A-level English you've seen they want (?) will in all likelihood be English as a Second Language anyway. If they don't straight up say you don't need it then you will likely be able to go through the formality of applying for dispensation. Or you could just sit IELTS etc, they'd probably accept that. Contact the places you would like to apply to and ask.
Reply 15
Original post by sachinisgod
Government universities are the same everywhere even Kerala (that was where my parents did their dentistry from so i know their horror stories)

And tbh you can only make it big in india if u have working experience in the west and have done masters for example then u can charge big bucks for private patients in India otherwise your scope of progression is very limited, Why do u think so many doctors and dentists from India come here?

Also if you are ready to buy the seat i dont think they will care about A level english. Money talks at the end of the day. Their entrance test isnt as easy as you think. Just look at the level of maths and chemistry a Year 12 student in India does and then you will see.

True the language is a problem, but thats why you learn it. If you didnt know, eastern europe is full of british asian medic/dental students. So if they can do it so can you lol

Yes, I know the scope is low in India, especially for postgraduation, in fact my parents are doctors too and they studied in Calicut, only to leave the country. So I guess money could drive people out of the country. Yes, the entrance is hard, I already have the preparatory materials, but I am up for the challenge :smile:

Haha....yes I could learn their language, but being able to communicate with patients who can speak the same language as me would be even better though, as I would be able to understand everything they say. As for the money, nearly all the doctors in most countries have a good standard of living and a better income compared to the average person :smile:

But it looks like most people on here seems to advice me not to go India :tongue:...but I like India though, its my country, my culture, my people etc. But I guess I have to be a bit practical too :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Ronove
I find it very unlikely that you'd be expected to document your English ability with A-level English, if you went through primary school and high school being taught in English in an English-speaking country. The A-level English you've seen they want (?) will in all likelihood be English as a Second Language anyway. If they don't straight up say you don't need it then you will likely be able to go through the formality of applying for dispensation. Or you could just sit IELTS etc, they'd probably accept that. Contact the places you would like to apply to and ask.

Thank you so much....but what is dispensation ?? :smile: I tried contacting the places, they NEVER reply to any e-mails and when I call them, some of them say it is fine, but meet them directly for further discussion, while others don't even know the rules.
But the Medical Council of India (equivalent to the GMC in UK) says all prospective medical students should have studied English, but don't know if that applies to British students too :confused:
Reply 17
Original post by NPWorld
Thank you so much....but what is dispensation ?? :smile: I tried contacting the places, they NEVER reply to any e-mails and when I call them, some of them say it is fine, but meet them directly for further discussion, while others don't even know the rules.
But the Medical Council of India (equivalent to the GMC in UK) says all prospective medical students should have studied English, but don't know if that applies to British students too :confused:

Dispensation is 'exemption from a rule or usual requirement'.

I would assume the Medical Council of India wants its non-English speaking applicants to have studied English so that they stand a chance at using English language medical textbooks and functioning in the job if they need to be able to speak English in it (plus it's fairly important to be fluent in English if you're hoping to publish research globally).

It's the same here in Denmark - many of the set texts are in English, and all Danish applicants to Medicine (actually possibly all subjects, but I can't remember) have to have passed the equivalent of AS English as a Second Language because of that.
Reply 18
Original post by Ronove
Dispensation is 'exemption from a rule or usual requirement'.

I would assume the Medical Council of India wants its non-English speaking applicants to have studied English so that they stand a chance at using English language medical textbooks and functioning in the job if they need to be able to speak English in it (plus it's fairly important to be fluent in English if you're hoping to publish research globally).

It's the same here in Denmark - many of the set texts are in English, and all Danish applicants to Medicine (actually possibly all subjects, but I can't remember) have to have passed the equivalent of AS English as a Second Language because of that.

Oh Great, I never knew about that. Thank you so much. I will see if I can do it in India :smile:
Hi there,

I was considering this too! However, I think it's wise to just try your best and get in here. Firstly because of the fees for international students being very high. Secondly, you have to do an admissions test which is very different to the UKCAT/BMAT. Thirdly, are your job prospects as good (if you come back to the UK, you'd have to take a year or two out sitting English exams in order to practice medicine here in the UK)?

If you don't get in first time round in the UK, there's nothing stopping you from reapplying year after year. I'd say that if it gets to your third attempt, consider international universities.

Be privileged you're studying in the UK, international students are dying to come here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending