The Student Room Group

Starting sixth form

I am starting sixth form on Wednesday and I am really scared! I am staying on at my school so I am familiar with most people but my friends have gone elsewhere and my friends outside my circle have other friends who I don't really know so I wouldn't be confident enough to sit with them. There's gunna be some new people but I'm scared I won't know what to say. So what I'm basically trying to ask for is advice in my situation and what to do when I go into school on Wednesday!
Dont worry!

When I started sixth form a lot of my friend went elsewhere and I was left with 2 friends :frown:. But I started talking to others through them and to others in my lessons so made new ones. The new people coming to your school are probably more nervous so chat with them and make them feel welcome :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by phoebephoo
Dont worry!

When I started sixth form a lot of my friend went elsewhere and I was left with 2 friends :frown:. But I started talking to others through them and to others in my lessons so made new ones. The new people coming to your school are probably more nervous so chat with them and make them feel welcome :smile:

Thankyou! This has helped me but I really don't know what to say haha! I know how horrible it is to start a new school as I only came to that school last year so I was in a worse situation as it was part way through the year! I'm really scared Incase I don't make any friends and end up spending the two years alone
Original post by Charlblackburn
Thankyou! This has helped me but I really don't know what to say haha! I know how horrible it is to start a new school as I only came to that school last year so I was in a worse situation as it was part way through the year! I'm really scared Incase I don't make any friends and end up spending the two years alone������������

you definitely wont be spending the two years alone! If you find it harder to make friends try going along to after school clubs or any enrichment activities (also looks great on your ucas!).

The friends you have already got wont leave you out and when youre with their friends just ask them what subjects theyre taking/how they're finding the workload/what uni theyre going to etc.

You might have things in common and get talking more :smile:
I am starting sixth form on Wednesday and I am really scared! I am staying on at my school so I am familiar with most people but my friends have gone elsewhere and my friends outside my circle have other friends who I don't really know so I wouldn't be confident enough to sit with them. There's gunna be some new people but I'm scared I won't know what to say. So what I'm basically trying to ask for is advice in my situation and what to do when I go into school on Wednesday!

As much as I would like to sympathise with you, I have to point out that there is little reason for you to feel 'really scared' - yes, your friends have gone to other schools, but at least you still have other friends, and you're already familar with the school environment, teachers, etc. why don't you put yourself in the shoes of other students who are nervous about going to a completely new school where they've probably only been to a few times and then you'll realise that you have nothing to worry about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by phoebephoo
you definitely wont be spending the two years alone! If you find it harder to make friends try going along to after school clubs or any enrichment activities (also looks great on your ucas!).

The friends you have already got wont leave you out and when youre with their friends just ask them what subjects theyre taking/how they're finding the workload/what uni theyre going to etc.

You might have things in common and get talking more :smile:

thankyou for your help! I will defo be using them questions to get to know more people! And our school kind of forces everyone into doing enrichment so I will be doing that for sure!
Reply 6
Original post by happysmile
As much as I would like to sympathise with you, I have to point out that there is little reason for you to feel 'really scared' - yes, your friends have gone to other schools, but at least you still have other friends, and you're already familar with the school environment, teachers, etc. why don't you put yourself in the shoes of other students who are nervous about going to a completely new school where they've probably only been to a few times and then you'll realise that you have nothing to worry about.

I am not looking for sympathy I'm looking for advice on what to do in my situation. I know how scary it can be moving schools as I moved half way through year 10 which is much more harder than moving from one school to another sixth form when there is bound to be more new people and a change of friendship groups with the leaving of others being "replaced." When I moved I had never been to that school or knew anyone so they're already one up if they've visited my school - which I know they have for interviews etc.
I am not looking for sympathy I'm looking for advice on what to do in my situation. I know how scary it can be moving schools as I moved half way through year 10 which is much more harder than moving from one school to another sixth form when there is bound to be more new people and a change of friendship groups with the leaving of others being "replaced." When I moved I had never been to that school or knew anyone so they're already one up if they've visited my school - which I know they have for interviews etc.

yeah well anyways good luck, :smile:
Any tips for me? I know no one at my current sixth form...
Reply 9
Original post by scrawlx101
Any tips for me? I know no one at my current sixth form...

Be yourself, be confident, smile etc and appear friendly, make an effort to talk to people like if they tell you their name remember it it will make you seem more like a friend and they'll appreciate you took the time to remember their name, there will be other new people so maybe if you see someone alone go and sit with them as they'll be in the same situation so you will already have something in common with them.

The best advice is smiling and general kind things like holding the door open for people. Playing cards with people in frees is a great way to meet people ! Haha.
The new people will be wayyy more scared xD

Quick Reply

Latest