The Student Room Group

Why do women make such a big deal about being a woman?

I notice this on two levels, on a personal level and a media level.

Everyday I hear some woman talking about how men couldn't survive as a woman or how man flu is nothing compared to period pains or how women just roll up their sleeves and get on with it.

On a media level, every advert targeted ay women is all about how being a woman is a good thing. Not that it's a bad thong, but why is it much different? Surely being a good human should be given more attention than having a vagina. Also, lately the news has emphasised about the "women and children" in conflict zones, as if male.lives are of somehow less value.

tl;dr why is having a vagina deemed of more importance/more worthy of praise. Genitals aside, we're all the same so why the media appreciation and self glorification of women?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know, I think it comes down in some aspects to the idea that women are ignored, so when something notable happens, the fact they are a woman is brought up. Also, women and children are often brought up in war zones, as it's almost always the males who are fighting, so women and children are naturally seen as innocent victims.

Finally, I shouldn't laugh, but the typo "bad thong" is quite amusing
Understandable, as I would hate to be a woman for numerous reasons
It's because men don't need to be reassured that being a man is a good thing. Women are brought up in a society where men dominate most areas of public life and where women aren't seen as important, so they need to be told that they have value. In the case of advertisers, this is just cashing in on a movement that wants women to know they are not inferior to men, but that's why men aren't told that being is a man is good (not directly at least!).
Women just don't have the balls :rolleyes:
peroids,pregnancies,post natal depression,c sections,anaemia,morning sickness etc etc etc.
See wimin some of us feel your pain
Because our milkshake brings all the boys to yard.
Original post by Vixen47
Because our milkshake brings all the boys to yard.

Big titties actually
I guess most of us women think that we have it bad and in comparison to men we kind of do. Men don't have to worry about things like periods and getting pregnant. Men have some pretty embarrassing things to go through as well but it's easier to deal with for them I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Because being a woman and being treated like an equal was something that didn't happen until very recently and still there is a lot of sexism around, especially in the work place.

And whilst I'm glad to hear that you feel the media is portraying women a positive light, page three still exists, and it is an every day reminder that the most widely read national newspaper in the country thinks it's appropriate to have a woman with her tits out next to a news story. What impression of a woman's role in society does that give to young boys and girls?

Original post by Anonimity
I notice this on two levels, on a personal level and a media level.

Everyday I hear some woman talking about how men couldn't survive as a woman or how man flu is nothing compared to period pains or how women just roll up their sleeves and get on with it.

On a media level, every advert targeted ay women is all about how being a woman is a good thing. Not that it's a bad thong, but why is it much different? Surely being a good human should be given more attention than having a vagina. Also, lately the news has emphasised about the "women and children" in conflict zones, as if male.lives are of somehow less value.

tl;dr why is having a vagina deemed of more importance/more worthy of praise. Genitals aside, we're all the same so why the media appreciation and self glorification of women?
The Patriarchy innit.
Well for TV adverts you are hardly going to say your target market (women) are useless and unimportant. It pays to make people feel good.
Because they need to be loved :wink:
Because women are narcissists, who think men should feel lucky to even be in their presence. Feminism and female-glorification in the media are just social expressions of their utter self-absorption.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gooeychocolate
I guess most of us women think that we have it bad and in comparison to men we kind of do.

Admittedly women might face more challenges in the workplace, but if things go wrong career-wise, or she`s just not that bright, there is always the safety net of being able to get pregnant, or marry a rich husband. That`s not an option for guys.
Who cares.
Reply 16
It's all a bit pathetic tbh
Bitches be crazy.
I am a female myself and I see what you mean. Some girls like to be over dramatic about periods etc. and are always complaining whereas some girls just get on with it.

Long story short, nobody cares and everyone should be equal.
Good question.

Your answer will depend entirely on your preconceived notions of gender issues as well.

Quick Reply

Latest