The Student Room Group

Can I bring my D at AS level up to a B in A2?

These are my AS results: English lit- B, Biology- B, Maths- D, Chemistry- D
I want to drop Maths which leaves me with BBD grades, my ultimate dream is to get AAB and do biomedical science- is that possible?? I know I could do better in biology and english definitely.

But the problem is, is it too far fetched to try and get a B from a D in AS? My teacher says I'm capable of getting a B grade, I think I didn't work as hard as I should've for my AS. Also, for my chemistry practical I got a high B. My module exams let me down...I got an E and D- I've never got an E before, but I actually had a migraine when I took that module and in my mock I got a D for that same module.

I got really good grades at GCSE and I'm not a bad student, I just didn't manage my time properly. Maths was an issue because I hated it and found it soo hard, I always got Us in mocks but somehow I managed a D in AS. I think I spent too much time focused on Maths.

Please help me, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Original post by CharlotteFaye
These are my AS results: English lit- B, Biology- B, Maths- D, Chemistry- D
I want to drop Maths which leaves me with BBD grades, my ultimate dream is to get AAB and do biomedical science- is that possible?? I know I could do better in biology and english definitely.

But the problem is, is it too far fetched to try and get a B from a D in AS? My teacher says I'm capable of getting a B grade, I think I didn't work as hard as I should've for my AS. Also, for my chemistry practical I got a high B. My module exams let me down...I got an E and D- I've never got an E before, but I actually had a migraine when I took that module and in my mock I got a D for that same module.

I got really good grades at GCSE and I'm not a bad student, I just didn't manage my time properly. Maths was an issue because I hated it and found it soo hard, I always got Us in mocks but somehow I managed a D in AS. I think I spent too much time focused on Maths.

Please help me, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Easy, just retake the 2 modules and don't do what you did the first time. Do you think maybe you flopped chemistry because you are not good at maths (hence your maths grade), but you are more of a "essay-person" hence your good grades in biology and English? If you think you didn't work hard enough go for it! I know people who got a C and ended up with an A or A*
Original post by Darkwarrior23
Easy, just retake the 2 modules and don't do what you did the first time. Do you think maybe you flopped chemistry because you are not good at maths (hence your maths grade), but you are more of a "essay-person" hence your good grades in biology and English? If you think you didn't work hard enough go for it! I know people who got a C and ended up with an A or A*

I think you're right, the maths in chemistry was always dodgy for me and I'm definitely an essay person, memorizing the information is fortunately not a problem for me and I love theory. Thanks so much for the advice, it's really encouraging. :smile: If the opportunity is given, I definitely want to retake the modules.
Original post by CharlotteFaye
I think you're right, the maths in chemistry was always dodgy for me and I'm definitely an essay person, memorizing the information is fortunately not a problem for me and I love theory. Thanks so much for the advice, it's really encouraging. :smile: If the opportunity is given, I definitely want to retake the modules.

He's right, in the other thread people who got like Us in AS, pulled their socks up, retook the AS modules and did the A2 and killed them both ending up A*/A, meaning it's doable if you learn from the mistakes you made in the AS year. Good luck, it will be hard but on results day it will pay off big time!

Quick Reply

Latest