The Student Room Group

Can I go into Chemical Engineering without Physics & Further Maths Alevel?

I've chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Psychology for Alevels..was wondering if I would get into a Russel Group University without Physics and Further Maths?
Reply 1
Original post by Whitney997
I've chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Psychology for Alevels..was wondering if I would get into a Russel Group University without Physics and Further Maths?

Definitely do Physics, further maths its not that necessary, but to do Chemical Engineering you normally have to take the engineering course for year 1 then in second year or even in third year you speciallise in the chemical side. So obviously for engineering courses you will need a lot of physics a level knowledge for your first year at uni. I am applying for Chemical engineering too and trust me this is what a senior lecturer at Bristol uni told me so take his advice
Like arami said physics is essential but although further maths gives you a good head start and is approved of by Russell Group unis it's not essential :smile:
im doing a foundation year because i dont have physics or maths :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by arami
Definitely do Physics, further maths its not that necessary, but to do Chemical Engineering you normally have to take the engineering course for year 1 then in second year or even in third year you speciallise in the chemical side. So obviously for engineering courses you will need a lot of physics a level knowledge for your first year at uni. I am applying for Chemical engineering too and trust me this is what a senior lecturer at Bristol uni told me so take his advice

I hated Physics at GCSE though, well maybe I'm saying this because no girl in my sixth form is taking Physics and it wasn't my strongest point at Science GCSE - Chemistry was and I absolutely love Chemistry..I found Physics quite straightforward its just that I've never thought about taking it for Alevel..besides the Physics department at my sixth form is not the best at all after hearing complaints from 2nd years :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by pinejuice
im doing a foundation year because i dont have physics or maths :smile:

REALLY?! I thought Maths was essential! Which university are you going to? & What were your other subjects? :smile:
i did a level 3 btec in applied science and im going to study at the university of bradford :smile: i got offers from huddersfield, leeds for a foundation year in engineering. my btec barely covered A2 chemistry, there was hardly any maths, it was mostly biology and theory work.
Reply 7
i did a level 3 btec in applied science and im going to study at the university of bradford :smile: i got offers from huddersfield, leeds for a foundation year in engineering. my btec barely covered A2 chemistry, there was hardly any maths, it was mostly biology and theory work.

Ohhhh congrats! :biggrin: do you live in Yorkshire then? :wink: & how did you revise - any tips?
Ohhhh congrats! :biggrin: do you live in Yorkshire then? :wink: & how did you revise - any tips?

nope i've only ever lived in south london :smile: the beauty of the btec is that you dont really need to memorise/revise. its more about taking in new information and moulding it into an essay/powerpoint. the jump to university will be tricky for me because i havent sat an exam in 2 years! coursework should be no problem for me though. which uni are you going to?
Reply 9
nope i've only ever lived in south london :smile: the beauty of the btec is that you dont really need to memorise/revise. its more about taking in new information and moulding it into an essay/powerpoint. the jump to university will be tricky for me because i havent sat an exam in 2 years! coursework should be no problem for me though. which uni are you going to?

Ohhhh ahh lucky! :smile: & I've just started my Alevels haha:colondollar: but I'm planning on going to a Russel Group University (definitely not oxbridge though) :smile:
Ohhhh ahh lucky! :smile: & I've just started my Alevels haha:colondollar: but I'm planning on going to a Russel Group University (definitely not oxbridge though) :smile:

aww bless, you must be young! i reccomend 5 hours of revision a day for alevels. I actually failed my AS in bio,chem,physics and maths so i have some experience as to what not to do! i had alot of family problems that distracted me, make sure you keep a record of how many hours you study a day and set yourself goals. for chemical engineering i think edinburgh or birmingham are at the top. you'll definitely want AAA if possible but there's always a foundation year, they only want BBC or equivalent with that.
Reply 11
aww bless, you must be young! i reccomend 5 hours of revision a day for alevels. I actually failed my AS in bio,chem,physics and maths so i have some experience as to what not to do! i had alot of family problems that distracted me, make sure you keep a record of how many hours you study a day and set yourself goals. for chemical engineering i think edinburgh or birmingham are at the top. you'll definitely want AAA if possible but there's always a foundation year, they only want BBC or equivalent with that.

I'm going to be working at Superdrug to save some money in the meantime :smile: maybe one day at a weekend and 2 nights after school? Obviously no more than 5+ hour shifts - my boss is really understanding seeing as she was more happy than I was when I told her my GCSE results look. I'm planning on working hard throughout out the year seeing as I waited till the last month for GCSE revision and no longer have a boyfriend so I think I'll be fine if I just keep on top of the work :smile: Thanks for advance and good luck at uni!:biggrin::redface:
I'm going to be working at Superdrug to save some money in the meantime :smile: maybe one day at a weekend and 2 nights after school? Obviously no more than 5+ hour shifts - my boss is really understanding seeing as she was more happy than I was when I told her my GCSE results look. I'm planning on working hard throughout out the year seeing as I waited till the last month for GCSE revision and no longer have a boyfriend so I think I'll be fine if I just keep on top of the work :smile: Thanks for advance and good luck at uni!:biggrin::redface:

its perfectly acceptable to work alongside alevels so dont worry about that :smile: thanks and same to you!

Quick Reply

Latest