The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy applicants 2015/2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Aaronh96
Hi guys, I'm just starting my first year of physio at York St John so recently went through all this. If anybody wants any help or to ask any questions about York or applications, I'm happy to help :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I'll be applying for physio this year. I want to know why you want to become a physio. Also, I haven't looked up York St John yet, but what were your other university choices? And how did your interview go??
Hi guys, I'm just starting my first year of physio at York St John so recently went through all this. If anybody wants any help or to ask any questions about York or applications, I'm happy to help :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of York St John, how was the application process and what do you think of the university? (location and facilities) :smile: Thank you for the help :smile:
Reply 42
I have a sportd background and in interview I explained this and my history of injuries and how it made my keen to learn about the pathologies. I applied to York, Huddersfield, Leeds met, Nottingham and Sheffield Hallam. I had 3 interviews and got offers from them all so I guess they went well
Reply 43
The application was pretty long winded. It was the last response I got in terms of rejection or interview, but was my first offer. The interview is a whole day but very good, you don't get thrown straight in to interview there's some talks and campus tour, then group and individual interviews. There was also a chance to talk to students. The facilities are very good, there are two well equipped physio labs and some new ones due to open soon
The application was pretty long winded. It was the last response I got in terms of rejection or interview, but was my first offer. The interview is a whole day but very good, you don't get thrown straight in to interview there's some talks and campus tour, then group and individual interviews. There was also a chance to talk to students. The facilities are very good, there are two well equipped physio labs and some new ones due to open soon

What made you choose it as your firm then? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grades did you get and in what subjects? Also, what were your predicted grades?
Reply 46
The facilities and lecturer's are really good. Also, I'm from Hull so it's close to home and I love the area
Reply 47
Original post by NaturallyDumbKid
What grades did you get and in what subjects? Also, what were your predicted grades?

I got A* in pe, A in maths and B in biology and was predicted AAB
I have a sportd background and in interview I explained this and my history of injuries and how it made my keen to learn about the pathologies. I applied to York, Huddersfield, Leeds met, Nottingham and Sheffield Hallam. I had 3 interviews and got offers from them all so I guess they went well

Which other ones did you go to for interviews? I've not applied to york because they use random selection and I feel my application would be weakened by that, but 2 of my choices are sheffield hallam and Huddersfield
Reply 49
Original post by Ellenafarrow14
Which other ones did you go to for interviews? I've not applied to york because they use random selection and I feel my application would be weakened by that, but 2 of my choices are sheffield hallam and Huddersfield

I went to Huddersfield and Nottingham. Are you sure York is random selection? If it is that's new
I went to Huddersfield and Nottingham. Are you sure York is random selection? If it is that's new

I had a look earlier today and according to their website they narrow down the applicants based on minimum requirements and those left are put into a random number generator! This is kind of putting me off applying to York and trying Sheffield Hallam instead :frown:

Says on the website they randomly select those who are interviewed and then offer places to whoever performs well at interview. Seems crazy for a healthcare subject but leeds don't even interview which is even more silly!
I was wondering what everyone's views on Leeds Metropolitan are? I'm stuck between 6 choices at the moment: Birmingham, Bournemouth, Leeds, Nottingham, UWE and York St John!
Original post by shrublemaker
I was wondering what everyone's views on Leeds Metropolitan are? I'm stuck between 6 choices at the moment: Birmingham, Bournemouth, Leeds, Nottingham, UWE and York St John!

Have you been to look at it? I went to an open day and to be fair the actual physio facilities were top notch, but I didn't like the actual uni, it just wasn't my type of place. Also, they randomly select and don't interview, so I think that it's a risky choice if you believe you have a strong application and would be good on interview, because they effectively pick all those they like and then put you all in a lucky dip! Which would maybe not favour people with strong personal statements as other unis actually put a lot of thought into who they interview.
Have you been to look at it? I went to an open day and to be fair the actual physio facilities were top notch, but I didn't like the actual uni, it just wasn't my type of place. Also, they randomly select and don't interview, so I think that it's a risky choice if you believe you have a strong application and would be good on interview, because they effectively pick all those they like and then put you all in a lucky dip! Which would maybe not favour people with strong personal statements as other unis actually put a lot of thought into who they interview.

Thank you :smile: I haven't managed to get to any open days yet as most of them are so far away :frown: That's the thing that's putting me off Leeds and York St John. I'm just curious how many are shortlisted because I wouldn't be so keen if it was a small chance of an offer! Have you made it to York St John, I may have to pick between the two?
Original post by shrublemaker
Thank you :smile: I haven't managed to get to any open days yet as most of them are so far away :frown: That's the thing that's putting me off Leeds and York St John. I'm just curious how many are shortlisted because I wouldn't be so keen if it was a small chance of an offer! Have you made it to York St John, I may have to pick between the two?

No I've not been to york, I just dismissed the ones that did random selection because I think it limits my chances too much which is a shame because I would have liked to look at york! I'm going for sheffield hallam, northumbria, manchester met, Huddersfield and Teesside :smile:
Reply 56
I'd advise York as they randomly select for interview whereas Leeds for places. More will be selected at ysj
No I've not been to york, I just dismissed the ones that did random selection because I think it limits my chances too much which is a shame because I would have liked to look at york! I'm going for sheffield hallam, northumbria, manchester met, Huddersfield and Teesside :smile:

Sounds like a good lot, it's such a hard decision on which ones to pick!
I'd advise York as they randomly select for interview whereas Leeds for places. More will be selected at ysj

Thank you :smile: That's good logic, I hope that I'd get an interview :smile:
Just sent my ucas application! The waiting begins....

Quick Reply

Latest