The Student Room Group

How does STUDY ABROAD work?

I was wondering exactly how does an academic study abroad(/exchange) year at university work? i would like to go abroad for a year between the second and third year (I will be doing a 3 year BA course). Does what i study in that year abroad have to relate to the course i am studying. For example i am going to study animation.. but the university i would like to go to in the other country may not teach this course or anything similar to it so do i study something else? Or do only certain BA courses offer study abroad/exchanges e.g. international business, modern languages etc??
It's like studying but you do it in another country.
Reply 2
Original post by Jackoclypse
It's like studying but you do it in another country.

yeah i know.. thats why its called 'STUDY' abroad. I'm asking what do i study while I'm in the different country
Original post by mikamika
yeah i know.. thats why its called 'STUDY' abroad. I'm asking what do i study while I'm in the different country

Maths, then.
Original post by mikamika
I was wondering exactly how does an academic study abroad(/exchange) year at university work? i would like to go abroad for a year between the second and third year (I will be doing a 3 year BA course). Does what i study in that year abroad have to relate to the course i am studying. For example i am going to study animation.. but the university i would like to go to in the other country may not teach this course or anything similar to it so do i study something else? Or do only certain BA courses offer study abroad/exchanges e.g. international business, modern languages etc??

Hello. I'm a History student at Plymouth University, but I got involved in an exchange program with Idaho State University. I've just started my first semester at ISU and I'd to offer a few pieces of advice. At ISU, I'm taking one 300-level history class, two 400-level history classes and a 400-level Political-Science class, despite it being outside of my degree.

First of all, it is good you are thinking early, because that gives you time to prepare.
If you are set on going on an exchange year, start saving now. Maybe ask for less Christmas presents or something :P. There are a lot of unexpected costs as well. And the thing is...studying abroad is probably the best thing you can do while at university. The sense of perspective, and the way in which you find a new-found appriciation of the world as an international citizen.

The good news is, you have choice, and should be able to do modules relating to your degree (even BSc students: one of my friends was investigating it, and he does an accounting and finance degree). Generally speaking however, there are more exchanges with BA students.

There are two methods. You can go on a direct/reciprical exchange with you going over to the international university, and one person coming in. This is what I did. The second option is to apply through a program called ISEP (International Student Exchange Program). Essentially, the process is a bit like a UCAS application but the sooner you apply, the better.

Regarding funding.There are obvious costs, like flights and visas; but also consider other costs like extra baggage fees (I took 2 50lb luggage cases as big as possible - an extra £50 for the plane; but overweight bags are much more), hotels, early housing fees, wifi costs, housing deposits etc.

If you are an exchange student, you will still be eligible for student finance, but you will need a nest egg. I can't stress it enough. I was fortunate to have a bit of money come in from working and the return of damage deposit from the University Housing, but I still think towards the end of the semester, I may need a bit of help from the Bank of Mum and Dad. :s-smilie:

In my case as I was studying for two semesters in the USA, as a direct exchange student, my tuition fees for the year went down from £9000 to £750 (student finance, and to Plymouth University), while my maintainance loan/grant was actually enhanced for studying two semesters. Non Resident tuition fees for ISU were waived, being an exchange student, but housing costs and meal plans took away most of the first tranche of the Student finance loan.

I've been in the US for about a month, and I'm in my second week of classes. I'll be up front about this: the work load is absolutely relentless, coming thick and fast, so time management is key; even more so than in a UK institution.

Each university should have a International Programs Office. Do talk through with your Exchange Co-ordinator there though.

Good Luck!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jammy4041
Hello. I'm a History student at Plymouth University, but I got involved in an exchange program with Idaho State University. I've just started my first semester at ISU and I'd to offer a few pieces of advice. At ISU, I'm taking one 300-level history class, two 400-level history classes and a 400-level Political-Science class, despite it being outside of my degree.

First of all, it is good you are thinking early, because that gives you time to prepare.
If you are set on going on an exchange year, start saving now. Maybe ask for less Christmas presents or something :P. There are a lot of unexpected costs as well. And the thing is...studying abroad is probably the best thing you can do while at university. The sense of perspective, and the way in which you find a new-found appriciation of the world as an international citizen.

The good news is, you have choice, and should be able to do modules relating to your degree (even BSc students: one of my friends was investigating it, and he does an accounting and finance degree). Generally speaking however, there are more exchanges with BA students.

There are two methods. You can go on a direct/reciprical exchange with you going over to the international university, and one person coming in. This is what I did. The second option is to apply through a program called ISEP (International Student Exchange Program). Essentially, the process is a bit like a UCAS application but the sooner you apply, the better.

Regarding funding.There are obvious costs, like flights and visas; but also consider other costs like extra baggage fees (I took 2 50lb luggage cases as big as possible - an extra £50 for the plane; but overweight bags are much more), hotels, early housing fees, wifi costs, housing deposits etc.

If you are an exchange student, you will still be eligible for student finance, but you will need a nest egg. I can't stress it enough. I was fortunate to have a bit of money come in from working and the return of damage deposit from the University Housing, but I still think towards the end of the semester, I may need a bit of help from the Bank of Mum and Dad. :s-smilie:

In my case as I was studying for two semesters in the USA, as a direct exchange student, my tuition fees for the year went down from £9000 to £750 (student finance, and to Plymouth University), while my maintainance loan/grant was actually enhanced for studying two semesters. Non Resident tuition fees for ISU were waived, being an exchange student, but housing costs and meal plans took away most of the first tranche of the Student finance loan.

I've been in the US for about a month, and I'm in my second week of classes. I'll be up front about this: the work load is absolutely relentless, coming thick and fast, so time management is key; even more so than in a UK institution.

Each university should have a International Programs Office. Do talk through with your Exchange Co-ordinator there though.

Good Luck!! :smile:

Thank you for this info :smile:
Each Uni is different on how they organise this, what courses are eligible, who pays/who doesnt etc etc. Contact your own Uni's Study Abroad office.

Quick Reply

Latest