The Student Room Group

Rape is not going out on a ONS getting drunk, having sex, then claiming rape.

Rape is having a stranger pinning your hands down and telling you, that you can't run, not these people who go out to clubs then get drunk and then have sex.

It does my tibia when people(girls particularly) say, I agreed first and later regretted it, was I raped? STFU.

So rape is the former in my first paragraph and not the latter in the same paragraph.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

I think that there are other situations that fit the definition of 'rape' other than the one you mentioned, but I agree. You're in control of your own body, if you choose to get pissed and have relations with somebody you later decide you don't like, boo-hoo.
Reply 2
Agreed, both those last two threads on this topic annoyed me. It's not gender specific. Take some responsibility for yourself.
I actually agree. It's going to be controversial on both sides but girls choose to get drunk
Original post by dilszsexgod
Rape is having a stranger pinning your hands down and telling you, that you can't run, not these people who go out to clubs then get drunk and then have sex.

It does my tibia when people(girls particularly) say, I agreed first and later regretted it, was I raped? STFU.

So rape is the former in my first paragraph and not the latter in the same paragraph.

Discuss.

The former is a clear cut case of rape, but not all rape are like that.

The second case is not rape. Regret has no bearing on whether it was rape or not.

The legal position is "drunken consent is still consent" - R v Bree.
(edited 9 years ago)

Discuss.

I think you're misrepresenting the argument a bit. It's more about people raping others who are totally drunk and don't know whats going on.

What is really bad is that you say rape is by a stranger. I'd hope most people now knew that isn't usually the case.
Reply 6
Original post by Harvey Dent
I think that there are other situations that fit the definition of 'rape' other than the one you mentioned, but I agree. You're in control of your own body, if you choose to get pissed and have relations with somebody you later decide you don't like, boo-hoo.

Generally that situation, that's what some many people irl and on tsr claim that is rape, frusturating.

Original post by Inazuma
Agreed, both those last two threads on this topic annoyed me. It's not gender specific. Take some responsibility for yourself.

That's why I made the thread, agree.

Original post by bittr n swt
I actually agree. It's going to be controversial on both sides but girls choose to get drunk

Obviously not those who get drunk accidentally if that can even happen - I suppose it could though.
Original post by tehforum

The second case is not rape. Regret has no bearing on whether it was rape or not.

I agree, this is the point I was trying to make - nice quote btw :smile:

Original post by Mankytoes
I think you're misrepresenting the argument a bit. It's more about people raping others who are totally drunk and don't know whats going on.

What is really bad is that you say rape is by a stranger. I'd hope most people now knew that isn't usually the case.

Yes I meant stranger as an example..
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum

Providing, of course, you consented to being getting drunk in the first place.

(Ho, ho, ho.)

Yes I meant stranger as an example..

Either way, you've just given an example that is obviously rape, and one that obviously isn't rape. That's kind of dodging the real issues here.
Reply 9
Either way, you've just given an example that is obviously rape, and one that obviously isn't rape. That's kind of dodging the real issues here.

How so?
How so?

Well maybe you can link me some sources that show otherwise, but as far as I can see the big debates about rape at the moment are; whether women should be advised to take anti rape precautions- drink less, test drinks for spiking, etc, or whether that amounts to victims blaming, and where the line on "taking advantage" of a drunk girl becomes rape. You've just named two extremes that everyone agrees on.
Reply 11
Well maybe you can link me some sources that show otherwise, but as far as I can see the big debates about rape at the moment are; whether women should be advised to take anti rape precautions- drink less, test drinks for spiking, etc, or whether that amounts to victims blaming, and where the line on "taking advantage" of a drunk girl becomes rape. You've just named two extremes that everyone agrees on.

do you agree that its rape if women get drunk intentionally and then get laid and then cry rape?

I disagree, interested to hear your thoughts.
Original post by Inazuma

Well actually I believe only women can be raped under British law (Britain has a retarded legal system), so I would guess that pretty much every false rape claim is made by a woman.
Original post by everyonemustpay
Well actually I believe only women can be raped under British law (Britain has a retarded legal system), so I would guess that pretty much every false rape claim is made by a woman.

Yes yes legally schmegally whatever (I do study law).
It applies both genders because sexual assault still carries high penalties and the same social stigma so the legal classification is not that relevant.
Original post by Inazuma
Yes yes legally schmegally whatever (I do study law).
It applies both genders because sexual assault still carries high penalties and the same social stigma so the legal classification is not that relevant.

Well don't you sound intelligent? Law is not a difficult course, so no bonus points for your irrelevant claim. What university do you study law at?

No, it does not apply, sexual assault is often a much lower penalty than rape and certainly female sexual offenders do not have the same stigma as that of their male counterparts.
I agree to a point; my view is if you black out and don't remember consenting it's not rape. However if you get drunk and initially say yes but then change your mind but they force you anyway, that's rape. The basic point is- if you remember being forced, it's rape. No question.
Original post by EllieC130
I agree to a point; my view is if you black out and don't remember consenting it's not rape. However if you get drunk and initially say yes but then change your mind but they force you anyway, that's rape. The basic point is- if you remember being forced, it's rape. No question.

Just because you don't remember consenting doesn't mean you didn't. If you specifically remember that you DIDNT consent, then only could a person be convicted of rape.
Rape tends to happen in open public. I'd say with the use of physical force to have sex with someone no matter where it was is class as rape
Original post by joker12345
Just because you don't remember consenting doesn't mean you didn't. If you specifically remember that you DIDNT consent, then only could a person be convicted of rape.

That's what I said; if you don't remember whether you did or not it's not rape. It's only rape if you remember being forced.
do you agree that its rape if women get drunk intentionally and then get laid and then cry rape?

I disagree, interested to hear your thoughts.

Well the term "cry rape" is only used in our culture to imply false accusations, so you're sort of answering your own question in your phrasing? Or just trying to be very leading?

Obviously a woman getting drunk and initiating sex isn't being raped. It's when the guy takes advantage of a girl who clearly doesn't know what's really going on, that's rape.

Original post by EllieC130
That's what I said; if you don't remember whether you did or not it's not rape. It's only rape if you remember being forced.

Amazing that anyone would say that. So if you roofie someone, then rape them, and they don't remember, it isn't rape.

Quick Reply

Latest