The Student Room Group
Redeyejedi
I just need a second opinion on this and would greatly appreciate your help. Basically i want to know if you can get a qualifying law degree by doing the three year variant...or does the four year have to be done. As far as i can see all the law societies mandatory modules are covered in the first three years....or am i being super special??

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/insite/info/quality/courseregs/courseregs0506/undergrad/ib/mn31/

Hmmm, it would be much easier if it just said that the course was a QLD, wouldn't it?
As you say all the core modules seem to be there in name in the 3 year course, but I still aren't convinced either way. In particular, I note that Contract and Tort are studied together; does this still fulfill the requirements of a QLD? I don't know.
I would get in touch with Warwick Law school and ask them directly or check on the Law Society website where they may have a list of QLD's or some detailed guidance.
Reply 2
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/becomingasolicitor/qualifying/qualifyingdegrees.law#W

Yes both are qualifying degrees. The fourth year is a year abroad, taken in the second year. If you look, it does actually say this on the Warwick Law dept website itself:

"Whichever of the above degree courses a student is on, he or she is presumed to be following a Qualifying Degree variant of that degree until he or she chooses otherwise. A QD degree qualifies the student for certain exemptions from the postgraduate professional stage of legal studies. To graduate with a qualifying degree and to secure the relevant professional exemptions, the law student at warwick is required to study the following modules (some being core modules, others being options)."

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/law/ug/prospective/degrees/
Reply 3
I thought Law and Business was 4 years only? Is the 3 year variant new (as in introduced from July time when I was choosing the bulk of my unis) or did I just miss it completely, ahh it needs an A in GCSE Maths:frown:
Reply 4
Yes both are qualifying degrees. The fourth year is a year abroad, taken in the second year. If you look, it does actually say this on the Warwick Law dept website itself:

"Whichever of the above degree courses a student is on, he or she is presumed to be following a Qualifying Degree variant of that degree until he or she chooses otherwise. A QD degree qualifies the student for certain exemptions from the postgraduate professional stage of legal studies. To graduate with a qualifying degree and to secure the relevant professional exemptions, the law student at warwick is required to study the following modules (some being core modules, others being options)."

Hey Chris,

Thanks very much for your help. However now im even more confused because, it states, explicitly, on the website that in order to gain a qualifyiing law degree :

In order to obtain part exemption from the qualifying examinations of the solicitors, barristers or accountancy professions, students will be required to complete the four year version of the degree.

So in three diffrent places, it gives differing views on whether the three and/or the four year degree is a qualifying degree. Which to believe...apologies if im being REALLY dense.
You want the simple answer?

CONTACT THEM!

I don't mean to be rude, but I would have thought it was obviosu - that's the only way to be ABSOLUTELY sure you've got the facts.
Reply 6
I have done...no answer on the phone, then emailed...no response...
persevere, its clearly the best way to get a satisfactory answer.

If you're dialling a particular person/dept. - try switchboard instead - your call may be going to the office of someone on holiday etc. Switchboard can pass you round until you actually get a response on the line.

Likewise with the email - try general enquiries and they'll route it to someone apprpriate. It may be that they are already acting on your email - remember, not all admin staff are in a knowledge position to eal with specific questions.
Reply 8
I'm fairly sure the law society website holds a list of all qualifying law degrees
Reply 9
Redeyejedi
Hey Chris,

Thanks very much for your help. However now im even more confused because, it states, explicitly, on the website that in order to gain a qualifyiing law degree :

So in three diffrent places, it gives differing views on whether the three and/or the four year degree is a qualifying degree. Which to believe...apologies if im being REALLY dense.

Nah, I can see why you are confused. To clarify, there are a number of courses and things you need to do to get a qualifying degree, will try and spell them out:

-"Straight" law - i.e. the standard LLB. Qualifying degree, done in 3 years in the vast majority of cases. Can be done in 4 if you want to do more (non qualifying) options

-Law with a twist - i.e. Law & Business, law and sociology. Done over 4 years as you have to do a certain amount of both subjects as it is a joint honours degree. Still can be a qualifying degree depending upon options chosen, and you will study all the ones you need to if you want to (most of those on 4 year courses opt to get "qualifying" degrees)

-Law with placement abroad - ie. law with french, german etc. Done over four years but only because one of them is spent away from Warwick (the second year in most cases)!! In the 3 years you have at "home" you do all the subjects you need to in order to gain a "qualifying" degree.

In sum, it is extremely rare *not* to get a qualifying degree, and the options chosen for you assume you will. If you choose not to, the consequences of not doing so..ie needing to do the GDL, will be made clear to you.

Does that all make sense now?
Reply 10
Nah, I can see why you are confused. To clarify, there are a number of courses and things you need to do to get a qualifying degree, will try and spell them out:

-"Straight" law - i.e. the standard LLB. Qualifying degree, done in 3 years in the vast majority of cases. Can be done in 4 if you want to do more (non qualifying) options

-Law with a twist - i.e. Law & Business, law and sociology. Done over 4 years as you have to do a certain amount of both subjects as it is a joint honours degree. Still can be a qualifying degree depending upon options chosen, and you will study all the ones you need to if you want to (most of those on 4 year courses opt to get "qualifying" degrees)

-Law with placement abroad - ie. law with french, german etc. Done over four years but only because one of them is spent away from Warwick (the second year in most cases)!! In the 3 years you have at "home" you do all the subjects you need to in order to gain a "qualifying" degree.

In sum, it is extremely rare *not* to get a qualifying degree, and the options chosen for you assume you will. If you choose not to, the consequences of not doing so..ie needing to do the GDL, will be made clear to you.

Does that all make sense now?

Much appreciated! Thankyou.

Latest

Trending

Trending