The Student Room Group

Is 2.34 kg heavy for a laptop?

I'm moving away for uni and I need a laptop.

http://www.ebuyer.com/633691-lenovo-thinkpad-b5400-laptop-mb82juk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CIa88eTxwMACFYrpwgodp2kAbw

I'm liking this one atm, but would 2.34kg be too heavy to carry around with me?
Original post by rambo1168

http://www.ebuyer.com/633691-lenovo-thinkpad-b5400-laptop-mb82juk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CIa88eTxwMACFYrpwgodp2kAbw

If you got a bag of flour at home or anything, maybe carry that in a plastic bag loool
Thats the best I got, or go into a pcworld and ask to feel the weight or try someone elses laptop with a similar weight.
Reply 2
Original post by rambo1168

It's quite a bit to carry around with you daily - I'd say you'd want something under 2kg at least :smile:
Depends if you lift or not :P
It's within standard range of most 15" laptops, although with the rise in popularity of ultrabooks and slim form factor laptops it's easy to find lighter ones these days. I personally never minded lugging a similar weight laptop to and from lectures, but you might be different.
Reply 5
Put 2 and a half bags of sugar in a tote bag. Walk around your house / garden for a bit. Feeling heavy? Happy carrying that around? Easiest way to find out ^_^
Obviously depends on your strength, but it's not a light laptop by any stretch of imagination.

For me (a guy with average strength), I wouldn't want to carry a 2.34kg laptop for any significant amount of time (walking). I value my back health more.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Obviously depends on your strength, but it's not a light laptop by any stretch of imagination.

For me (a guy with average strength), I wouldn't want to carry a 2.34kg laptop for any significant amount of time (walking). I value my back health more.

How bad is your posture if carrying around 2.34Kg plus some books and other bits and pieces is going to cause issues with your back?
who carries a laptop to lectures?

pen and paper should suffice unless you're doing something ridiculous like computer "science"
Original post by Jammy Duel
How bad is your posture if carrying around 2.34Kg plus some books and other bits and pieces is going to cause issues with your back?

My posture is just fine, but I walk about 5 miles a day carrying all that stuff. Longer if I am travelling, etc.

The weights add up, especially when you are walking for hours.

If I am only walking <1 mile, I can live with 2.34kg.
As someone who used laptops in an era where under 3kg was a novelty I'd say it is best to avoid any heavy laptops.

It being carried in a backpack isn't bad if the backpack is properly strapped and you don't carry it on just one shoulder. Otherwise it won't be long before you have this frozen shoulder problem and have fun trying to cure it or dealing with the pain :biggrin:

The heavier the laptop the less likely you'd be wanting to bring it out of the house as time goes by.
Original post by Marky Mark
who carries a laptop to lectures?

pen and paper should suffice unless you're doing something ridiculous like computer "science"

They don't necessarily mean they're going to use it in the lecture itself, they might have to carry it around all day to use between lectures in the library etc. Like I carry a debit card to lectures but I don't use it there :tongue:
i think thats heavy :s-smilie: my upper body strength is horrendous though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending