The Student Room Group

Phd with 2:1 in first year

Hi, Ive just finished my first year studying maths at Oxford/Warwick (ambiguous for anonymity :wink: ). I got a high 2:1. However I was disappointed as I feel with more work throughout the year I could have got a first.

Basically I haven't decided if I want to do a phd yet in the future. I feel that I could pull my overall degree to a first but if I applied for a phd in the maths ( pure or applied, I ve not yet decided), would this 2:1 in first year significantly disadvantage me (in terms of funding etc). For what its worth Im considering applying for Cambridge part 3.

Sorry if the above seems a bit arrogant but I do genuinely feel that I am capable of much better and I hope that no doors have closed to me.

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
First year either doesn't count, or counts a very small percentage. Your degree will mostly come from second/third year so it's going to be more important what you get by the end of second year, surely?
And the evidence for your suitability for a PhD will come from the research orientated work for do in your 3rd year and/or within a postgrad Masters degree. All they will be interested in is your overall degree grade (2i or First), your research proposal and your references - they won't look at grades from each year, or individual units/modules.

Quick Reply

Latest