The Student Room Group

What is AS Level Art like?

Yes, summer hols are almost over (or over for some) and I still haven't chosen my AS Levels.
I'm toying between two subjects - English Language & Art.

When I leave school, I want to try and have my shot at becoming a professional free skier, I might not make it, but I just might... Anyway to get sponsored not only do I have to be good at skiing but I also have to blog on a palette of media site to get me noticed. English Lan could help me to develop my own writing style that I could use to connect to my audience.
The thing I'm having trouble with English Lan is the analysing of spoken language, I find it hard and therefore time consuming and well, a bit boring.
Like how much analysing do you do?
How much creative writing do you do?
What else do you do?
Did you like the subject and why or why not?

Now, Art. I love Art. It's one of my talents and it would be shame to let it go. Art as Level is what I want to do but I'm quite frankly, I'm scared of the work load. I know deep down I should really do English but I have this nagging voice in my head - I think it's passion - to do Art AHHHH! So my questions are:
Did you enjoy AS Level Art?
Was the work load excessive?
Could I keep on top of it by doing a small amount every night without it harming my other subjects and getting a decent grade?
Out of all your A Levels, what subject did you spend most time on?

So I guess I'll wait for your replies and make a well thought and argument decision...or I'll flip a coin! Wahoo
I did both subjects so I'll try answering for both :tongue:
Original post by Thingymajig

What else do you do?

Could I keep on top of it by doing a small amount every night without it harming my other subjects and getting a decent grade?

English (being that it's based on the language) was a lot of analysing and comparing texts, techniques, etc.
We did creative writing every so often and our coursework was creative to an extent, as it looked at writing in the style of different authors.
I personally didn't enjoy English, partly because of the way it was taught, partly because of the content. I love writing, but I would've preferred it if there was an a level available that combined lit. and lang. because I missed the literature aspect.

Art I loved, but it is a huge amount of work. I got a fairly good grade at the end of it and it didn't have a negative impact on my other subjects, but I was spending pretty much all my free time on it, as were most of the people in my class. So I spent the most time on art, by far!

It's completely up to you though. I'd think about which one will help you more with what you want to do, however I also think it's important that you enjoy what you're doing :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Thingymajig
Yes, summer hols are almost over (or over for some) and I still haven't chosen my AS Levels.
I'm toying between two subjects - English Language & Art.

When I leave school, I want to try and have my shot at becoming a professional free skier, I might not make it, but I just might... Anyway to get sponsored not only do I have to be good at skiing but I also have to blog on a palette of media site to get me noticed. English Lan could help me to develop my own writing style that I could use to connect to my audience.
The thing I'm having trouble with English Lan is the analysing of spoken language, I find it hard and therefore time consuming and well, a bit boring.
What else do you do?

Now, Art. I love Art. It's one of my talents and it would be shame to let it go. Art as Level is what I want to do but I'm quite frankly, I'm scared of the work load. I know deep down I should really do English but I have this nagging voice in my head - I think it's passion - to do Art AHHHH! So my questions are:

So I guess I'll wait for your replies and make a well thought and argument decision...or I'll flip a coin! Wahoo

Huge workload. Totally worth it. I loved it so much.
i did both at the staft of year 12, except i did literature so i don't exactly know what lang is like. i ended up dropping lit because i was really bad at it. i did art for 2 months because i absolutely love it however i found that at AS i had to do A LOT more work to barely scrape a C and i hated the idea of having to do projects on what i'm told to do rather than choosing my own thing if that makes sense. art was about freedom and creativity for me and AS is nothing like that. wasn't to me at least... it was enjoyable, i just found AS to be very...teacher led? if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[SIZE="1"]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE

Honestly I'd say do what you love that's what I did. I ended up doing the work of 5 a levels if it's something you really want and you have the ability to do it you'll find a way to balance it. I did btec art a level art and btec business and had to balance everything and still came out with top grades. It's all about the amount of time and effort that you are willing to put into the work. If you do art you'll still develop your English but in different ways. You'll have to describe art work your work and compare work with one another so it can still help you in that area.

Quick Reply

Latest