The Student Room Group

Ashya King - how do you think the hospital/police handled it?

I've really been sad about the Ashya King story. There seems to be a lot of public support for the family now as there is a change.org petition that has had over 70,000 people sign in just one day!

It is obviously a difficult situation. What do you think about how the hospital and police handled it?

Irony is that the publicity will probably help the family get the funding they need for the proton beam treatment.

I think it's terrible that the parents have the ordeal of having a dying son, being arrested and not being able to see their son. Must be so hard. I really hope it works out well - that they're let out and Ashya gets treatment and gets better.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11069177/Ashya-Kings-brother-Were-afraid-for-his-health.html
I think it's outrageous. The parents obviously want better treatment for their son and took him out of hospital to another in hope of getting that treatment. The fact that the police have arrested them and banned them from seeing their son is just sick. Why is it when the paedophiles in Rotherham walk around scot free yet the police are focusing their resources on finding and arresting the parents who clearly love their little boy very much? I'm speechless.
I don't really understand at all. Did they check him out of hospital before taking him abroad? I can understand that getting this response but why it is still going on I don't understand since it's pretty clear they were taking him to superior services.

Is this a butthurt state?
Reply 3
I think they did the wrong thing. The NHS pays for children to go to the usa for this treatment if it will work. The parents were told it would not, were offered second opinions and still wanted the treatment so the hospital offered them help with taking him abroad. The police could hardly let them disappear with him not knowing the intentions of the parents. Still I don't think arresting them and an extradition fight will achieve anything..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that the hospital have shown an arrogance that appals me

However, I fully understand the initial police response - given the scaremongering of the hospital

Once they were found and Ashya was seen to be being cared for the case should have been over
I'm not sure. They did need to do something initially as there was a child in serious danger and they had no idea why. He has now been found safe and well, some would argue that the parents should be prosecuted for putting their child at that risk but right now there is a five year old stuck in a strange country where he doesn't speak the language without his parents. He's scared out of his wits and that's not the way to deal with it in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Couple being extradited after having broke no laws in either Spain or the UK... What in the ****?
Reply 7
I imagine the parents will sue.
Reply 8
People will lose their jobs over it I think. Horrid situation. Common sense needs to prevail in circumstances as difficult as this.
It's ridiculous
They didn't break any laws. They just took their son (as is their right to do, as parents) to a different hospital where they would revieve better care. Why they have been arrested is beyond me.
It was correct to assume the worst and go after them after they took him out of the hospital unannounced, but the current situation is disproportionate and I think is emblematic of a lack of common wisdom and discretion on the part of the police. It's correct for the government to intervene in this case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending