The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Ask a Cambridge postgrad!

Ask your questions here about applying for postgrad at Cambridge, the postgrad experience, etc.! I was at John's, so I can answer questions about my college, too. I was an international student at Cambridge and managed (somehow!) to get full funding so do feel free to ask questions about the experience of international students there, and about funding. I will try to help!

Other Cambridge postgrads/postgrad alumni, feel free to chime in with answers :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, If you could give one tip about applying to Cambridge what would it be?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Viceroy
Ask your questions here about applying for postgrad at Cambridge, the postgrad experience, etc.! I was at John's, so I can answer questions about my college, too.

Other Cambridge postgrads/postgrad alumni, feel free to chime in with answers :smile:

What did you study, kakashi-sensei?
Reply 3
Original post by tekitw
Hey, If you could give one tip about applying to Cambridge what would it be?

Some tips for applying for postgrad at Cambridge:
-Make sure your research proposal is top-notch and fits in with the research interests of at least one faculty member in your field there
-Make sure you have great references
-Make sure your writing samples (if required) are great
-Be ready to defend your research proposal in your interview and answer tough questions on it

Of course, all of this depends on the Faculty you're applying to -- Some probably don't require interviews, proposals, etc. so make sure to read the relevant webpages and do exactly what they ask.
Reply 4
Original post by hi-zen-berg
What did you study, kakashi-sensei?

I'll just say that I was in an Arts & Humanities faculty... :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Viceroy
Some tips for applying for postgrad at Cambridge:
-Make sure your research proposal is top-notch and fits in with the research interests of at least one faculty member in your field there
-Make sure you have great references
-Make sure your writing samples (if required) are great
-Be ready to defend your research proposal in your interview and answer tough questions on it

Of course, all of this depends on the Faculty you're applying to -- Some probably don't require interviews, proposals, etc. so make sure to read the relevant webpages and do exactly what they ask.

Thanks! :smile:
I've just moved this to the Postgraduate forum for you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by fluteflute
I've just moved this to the Postgraduate forum for you :smile:

Cheers!
Are you at Harvard? You did your masters at Cambridge and you're at Harvard, are you god? Where are you from?
Reply 9
Original post by geneticist
Are you at Harvard? You did your masters at Cambridge and you're at Harvard, are you god? Where are you from?

Hahahahahaha!

I did my undergraduate degree in the US, too, and wanted to come back here because I like the PhD programs a bit better in the US than in the UK (they are longer than in the UK, require more teaching, etc.)... The Cambridge MPhils are good prep though for a PhD because you generally get a lot of time to spend on your research/writing. I applied for PhD programs during the MPhil program though, which was tough because I had to get so much done in such a short space of time. It's doable though!
How brilliant were you as an undergrad?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
How brilliant were you as an undergrad?

Not so brilliant. I didn't do so great my first year and a half or so, then improved for the rest of undergrad. I ended up with mostly A's by the time I finished, but I didn't have the highest GPA because of issues in the early years. Seemed to iron itself out in the end with some good master's offers, but I definitely had moments of worry that it wouldn't work out so well!
Were you obsessed with oxbridge&ivy?
Reply 13
Were you obsessed with oxbridge&ivy?

...No. I just went to the best places I got into and ones that had good programs for what I wanted to study. I would have been perfectly satisfied going elsewhere.
What exactly did you study at Cambridge? Let's be specific here.
Reply 15
Original post by alwaysdrifting
What exactly did you study at Cambridge? Let's be specific here.

I've already answered this question in an earlier post in this thread. For the sake of anonymity, I don't want to say more than what I've already said: I was in an Arts & Humanities Faculty for an MPhil.
Original post by Viceroy
I've already answered this question in an earlier post in this thread. For the sake of anonymity, I don't want to say more than what I've already said: I was in an Arts & Humanities Faculty for an MPhil.

I would personally write it on my forehead if i had a degree from cambridge but as you wish.

Do postgrads have spare time?
Would you say the place you did your undergrad was of the same calibre as Cambridge?

Why Cambridge?

What would you say to a current undergrad who is thinking about doing a post-grad at Cambridge?

How did you choose your college?
Reply 18
Do postgrads have spare time?

Yes, there is spare time, but of course this would depend on your course -- Many of the science students I knew spent a lot of their spare time in the lab, whilst the arts students were holed up in their college libraries (or rooms) studying. Of course, in the evenings, the nightlife in Cambridge is quite active, and there are plenty of ents in college, so most people do take breaks and take advantage of what Cambridge has to offer.

Original post by EloiseStar
Would you say the place you did your undergrad was of the same calibre as Cambridge?

Why Cambridge?

What would you say to a current undergrad who is thinking about doing a post-grad at Cambridge?

How did you choose your college?

1) Yes, in my case, but this answer would probably differ for others. On my course, the students' undergrad institutions were (that I can recall): Princeton (2, including me), Yale, Northwestern, Goldsmith's College, Oxford (2), Manchester, Cambridge (3), and then there were a number of students from Asia who did their undergrad there, and one from South Africa.

2) I liked the course and, most of all, the supervisors. Also, the resources there are incredible -- the University Library has everything! Having a master's degree also makes it easier (in some cases) to get into a good PhD program because you'll have had more research experience, have written a master's dissertation, etc., so this was on my mind, too.

3) I would say that undergrads should read about the course(s) that interest them and (above all) ensure that there is a supervisor available to work with you on the project you want to do. Also, funding is a major consideration, so be sure to apply to every funding scheme Cambridge has on offer that you qualify for, and any external funding sources you can find. Faculty websites should say what their requirements for postgrad admissions are (generally either a good 2:1 or 1st, but that depends on the Faculty/course) and be ready to have an interview.

4) I ended up simply going with the college that my supervisor recommended (his college!). It was hard for me to choose on my own because I'd never been to Cambridge before and the all look about the same on paper. My second choice college was Christ's, which I picked because it's centrally-located, beautiful, and has an interesting history (I thought it would be neat to been at the same college as Darwin!). I'm glad I ended up at John's because it's an awesome college and I adored it, but I bet I'd have had a good experience elsewhere, too (that said, I wouldn't change my experiences at John's for anything!).
(edited 9 years ago)
How do you find the step up in what's required of you from undergrad to post?

Quick Reply