The Student Room Group

Can I break up with him through text?

I've been seeing him exclusively for nearly a month but I just don't feel that way about him. I want to end it and I've made up my mind. He's on holiday until Sunday so I can't meet up with him. I don't want me to convince me to stay with him so I'm not too keen on breaking up over the phone. Can I just text him?
probably don't even need to text, just phase out
Reply 2
He's my actual boyfriend though, not just a guy I'm seeing...
how do you become bf/gf after less than 4 weeks of dating, including him being on holiday? :s-smilie: unless you spent every day together...?
Them charming, outgoing guys are most likely to react very badly to a breakup, hope he's not one of them
Original post by Anonymous
I've been seeing him exclusively for nearly a month but I just don't feel that way about him. I want to end it and I've made up my mind. He's on holiday until Sunday so I can't meet up with him. I don't want me to convince me to stay with him so I'm not too keen on breaking up over the phone. Can I just text him?

Well, your mind's made up. Do not break up by text though. It has to be done face-to-face. If that means waiting until Sunday, then wait until Sunday to do so. If he truly respects you he will understand, although it wouldn't be easy for everyone involved.
Reply 6
Original post by anikalarson
how do you become bf/gf after less than 4 weeks of dating, including him being on holiday? :s-smilie: unless you spent every day together...?

I didn't include the time we were dating so just add another month :tongue:
tbh I'd prefer a text breakup over somebody raising up my hopes by arranging to see me, only to say it to my face how they don't want to see me anymore...
Reply 8
Original post by jammy4041
Well, your mind's made up. Do not break up by text though. It has to be done face-to-face. If that means waiting until Sunday, then wait until Sunday to do so. If he truly respects you he will understand, although it wouldn't be easy for everyone involved.

I understand that it's bad to break up through text but it's consuming me. I want it to be over now, not Sunday. When he gets back, there are two weeks until I go to uni so that's why I think he'll try and convince me not to break up with him until then
Reply 9
tbh I'd prefer a text breakup over somebody raising up my hopes by arranging to see me, only to say it to my face how they don't want to see me anymore...

Yeah it's not long distance but he doesn't exactly live close by so that's another reason. I don't know if I'd have to hang out with him firstly then let him know how I feel as he's about to go?
I understand that it's bad to break up through text but it's consuming me. I want it to be over now, not Sunday. When he gets back, there are two weeks until I go to uni so that's why I think he'll try and convince me not to break up with him until then

Maybe a "we have to talk" text would suffice in the interim, just so he isn't under a false illusion, and has some idea of what to expect. From the sounds of things, it sounds that the relationship has mentally finished already...even before you would send the text, or deliver the blow face-to-face.

Another point...although extremely unlikely, what are the chances of that he doesn't see the text and still expects that there is something happening between you two? A face-to-face is a final confirmation.
fb chat or skype? I'd prefer that over in person, seriously...
Original post by jammy4041
Maybe a "we have to talk" text would suffice in the interim, just so he isn't under a false illusion, and has some idea of what to expect. From the sounds of things, it sounds that the relationship has mentally finished already...even before you would send the text, or deliver the blow face-to-face.

Another point...although extremely unlikely, what are the chances of that he doesn't see the text and still expects that there is something happening between you two? A face-to-face is a final confirmation.

I feel so out of touch with him. I genuinely don't have any feelings for him so it's difficult to gauge how strong his feelings are for me. I suppose I should wait until he gets back and let him know that I want to talk. Waking up each morning and having urges to break up with him straight away is overwhelming but I'll wait
fb chat or skype? I'd prefer that over in person, seriously...

I wish I was breaking up with you lol. Maybe I can convince him to see a friend and I'll quickly see him before he heads home...
I feel so out of touch with him. I genuinely don't have any feelings for him so it's difficult to gauge how strong his feelings are for me. I suppose I should wait until he gets back and let him know that I want to talk. Waking up each morning and having urges to break up with him straight away is overwhelming but I'll wait

It is on your call, and do what you feel you have to. At the same time, if you do decide to breakup face-to-face, you have to refuse any attempt to keep it going. :smile:
Reply 15
Don't text him. But if you do, at least save it for when he's back from his holiday.
How would you like it if you were on holiday and someone broke up with you by text?
It gives him no opportunity to respond.
Very selfish and unfair if you ask me.
I'd question my morales if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Break up with him via text so he knows he is free to sleep around on the holiday.

Quick Reply

Latest