The Student Room Group

Oxford Commemoration Ball vs Cambridge May Ball

For people who have been to events at both unis, how would you compare them? And how would you compare the general formal/party/event scene, all the add-ons to student experiences, and the smaller balls and events throughout the year?

The May Ball has been listed on some top events lists worldwide, but Oxford has Queer Bop which I don't think has an equivalent at Cambridge, and I don't think it's usually discussed how Oxford's Commemoration Ball stacks up with the May Ball and how the general experiences throughout the year stack up.

Just an interesting subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by riptidecrossing7
For people who have been to events at both unis, how would you compare them? And how would you compare the general formal/party/event scene, all the add-ons to student experiences, and the smaller balls and events throughout the year?

The May Ball has been listed on some top events lists worldwide, but Oxford has Queer Bop which I don't think has an equivalent at Cambridge, and I don't think it's usually discussed how Oxford's Commemoration Ball stacks up with the May Ball and how the general experiences throughout the year stack up.

Just an interesting subject.

I think not many will have been to both, but I have been fortunate enough to - I've been to Clare and St John's (supposedly one of the best) May Balls, and Magdalen Commemoration Ball.

All were excellent, I preferred the Cambridge ones but I think a lot of that was down to familiarity - there's something really special about seeing your own college looking so stunning and being with all your friends all dressed up in an incredible setting. Magdalen was on a similar scale to John's, but I think John's edged it on entertainment, and had a better breakfast at the end of the night! Magdalen was also marred by my choosing ridiculous shoes which made my feet bleed by midnight, though that is entirely my own fault.

Balls do vary from year to year though, and the second one I went to at John's was better than the first in several simple ways - little things like having plenty of water supplied, including to the queue, and providing umbrellas when the weather looked dubious.

I can't really comment on Queer Bop as I don't really know what it is, but I don't think there's a direct equivalent at Cambridge.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think they're pretty similar, though I've only been to Oxford Balls (there are more than just the commem ones, that are not necessarily less grand). The only comment i'd make is that Cambridge's ones seem better timed: I think they are all at the end of term after everyone has finished but everyone is still around? Whereas at Oxford they're either early in like 5th week trying to be before exams but doesn't really succeed as some subjects have exams around then, or they're later in 8th/9th week trying to be after exams but again some subjects have exams up until 9th week and it can be hard to get accommodation to stay in Oxford if its after the end of term.

My college actually did a winter ball which sounds great, but the cold really is a barrier to any outside activity. No amount of heaters can beat the February winter chill.
Miscer master race checking in here balls are for betas, cotilions on the other hand :sexface:
Reply 4
I can vouch for the St John's May Ball (at Cambridge) being completely awesome! Haven't been to one at Oxford.

screen-shot-2014-02-22-at-15-15-01.png
The proper Oxford Commeration Balls (Magdalene, New and Christchuch) are equivalent to the more prestigious Cambridge May Balls (Trinity, St John's, Clare, Jesus and Magalene) except that they are only held once every three years whilst their Cambridge equivalents are annual (guess those Tabs know how to party). However for sheer scale and spectacle the Cambridge balls at St John's and Trinity cannot be bettered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending