The Student Room Group

MSC Economics advise for international student.

Hello,
Im a Mexican interested in studying a master degree in in economics.

I studied management and finance as a bachelor degree, I coursed: algebra, calculus 1 and 2, statistics 1 and 2, linear algebra, microeconomics, macroeconomics, history of economics, econometrics, mexican economic problems, financial economics and international economics.

I got a GPA 8.8 (out of 10) Which I think equals to 3.3 or B.

LSE requires 9.0 for mexican students, so I don't think to have any chance of being admitted. Is it worth to try anyways?

Warwick requires 8.5 but Im worried I don't have enough academic background as economics is not my primary degree.

My other options are Durham, Nottingham and Leeds. (because of the little research i've done) Are they good?

Im primarily interested in macroeconomics.

Do you think I have a chance of being admitted in any program. Am I missing important options? Which programs do you think are better for me?
Reply 1
Original post by eugeniosp
Hello,
Im a Mexican interested in studying a master degree in in economics.

I studied management and finance as a bachelor degree, I coursed: algebra, calculus 1 and 2, statistics 1 and 2, linear algebra, microeconomics, macroeconomics, history of economics, econometrics, mexican economic problems, financial economics and international economics.

I got a GPA 8.8 (out of 10) Which I think equals to 3.3 or B.

LSE requires 9.0 for mexican students, so I don't think to have any chance of being admitted. Is it worth to try anyways?

Warwick requires 8.5 but Im worried I don't have enough academic background as economics is not my primary degree.

My other options are Durham, Nottingham and Leeds. (because of the little research i've done) Are they good?

Im primarily interested in macroeconomics.

Do you think I have a chance of being admitted in any program. Am I missing important options? Which programs do you think are better for me?

Two questions-

1. Why the MSc? What do you want to do after?

2. Would you consider schools in Europe? (i.e., France, Spain, Belgium, Sweden, etc.)
Reply 2
1.- Roughly speaking.

During my career and work experience I noticed I like economics. It is an intellectual challenge, and the significance for the community can be important.

I intend to work in consultancy for both public and private sectors and do research to propose economic reform in my home country.

2.- I have no plans but Im interested in being informed. I´ve read good thinks about SEE, Lausanne and Tolouse... what else?
Reply 3
1.- Roughly speaking.

During my career and work experience I noticed I like economics. It is an intellectual challenge, and the significance for the community can be important.

I intend to work in consultancy for both public and private sectors and do research to propose economic reform in my home country.

2.- I have no plans but Im interested in being informed. I´ve read good thinks about SEE, Lausanne and Tolouse... what else?

Good European schools to consider include:
[INDENT]

ECARES

Université catholique de Louvain

CEMFI (Centro de Estudios Monetarios y Financieros)

University of Luxembourg

Paris School of Economics

Sciences Po, Paris

Stockholm School of Economics

Norway School of Economics

[/INDENT]

I missed off the Toulouse School of Economics based on the fact they focus primarily in microeconomics and related applied areas, with a much lesser focus on macroeconomics.

Personally, I'd opt for one of the above before considering Warwick, Durham, Nottingham or Leeds. That is personal preference, though. You also need to consider whether you'd want to eventually do a PhD or even where you want to spend your life long-term.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by .ACS.
Good European schools to consider include:

ECARES

Université catholique de Louvain

CEMFI (Centro de Estudios Monetarios y Financieros)

University of Luxembourg

Paris School of Economics

Sciences Po, Paris

Stockholm School of Economics

Norway School of Economics

I missed off the Toulouse School of Economics based on the fact they focus primarily in microeconomics and related applied areas, with a much lesser focus on macroeconomics.

Personally, I'd opt for one of the above before considering Warwick, Durham, Nottingham or Leeds. That is personal preference, though. You also need to consider whether you'd want to eventually do a PhD or even where you want to spend your life long-term.

Why?
What are the advtangaes you see on those other courses VS those on the UK? And how would they affect where you spend your life long term?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply 5
Why?
What are the advtangaes you see on those other courses VS those on the UK? And how would they affect where you spend your life long term?

Many thanks in advance!

The issue with a lot of UK universities, notably the less well known ones, is that they only hold weight in the UK.

The universities in that list, however, are amongst the top departments in Europe and hence hold more weight internationally. They also offer the best preparation for a PhD if you want to go down that route, which is typically advised for a lot of consultancy type roles or economic policy roles with governments, etc.

Additionally, they provide strong links with government and international organisations in relation to connections, working opportunities, etc. It is typical to be able to obtain internships in European Union agencies from the list above as they are strongly recognised.
Reply 6
ACS provided a strong list of European Econ departments outside the UK and these departments merit close consideration. I may add a few other grad programmes.

Erasmus Uni Rotterdam
Barcelona Pompeu Fabra
Graduate Institute Geneva
Uni Lausanne
College of Europe Bruge

Good luck
Reply 7
Thank you very much to both of you.

Based on the profile Ive given at the start of the post? You think Im eligible for any of those programs? Ive read Sciences PO (just like LSE) demands 9.0. I have 8.8 so I don't meet the entry requirements..
Reply 8
Original post by Tcannon
ACS provided a strong list of European Econ departments outside the UK and these departments merit close consideration. I may add a few other grad programmes.

Erasmus Uni Rotterdam
Barcelona Pompeu Fabra
Graduate Institute Geneva
Uni Lausanne
College of Europe Bruge

Good luck

Thank you. Im applying to some of them, but im worried about the recognition they may have..

How do you know those programs are well perceived?
I cant seem to find em in any rankings... Do you have any source you can recommend me?
Reply 9
Source: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/economics.
Tilburg Economics ranking.
In Europe these Econ programmes are known and their profs are widely cited in peer reviewed journals or act as editors. Just check their impact factors.

If you are worried or have second thoughts of brand equity in South America, then you should enroll at a programme you feel comfortable with and is known at your home. I can't speak for South America, but most European Economists know ACS and my list. Good luck
Reply 10
Hello,
I find your discussion interesting

I am also international student considering masters degree in Europe. Does it make any sense to study at these universities outside the UK if I want to pursue career in the UK, preferably in the field of economic research and policy-making? Are these continental universities mentioned above regarded better then let's say Southampton, Sussex or Exeter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending