The Student Room Group

Social Work

I want to do social work as a undergraduate degree, but I looked at the university that I wanted to apply to and it said that it needs 210 hours voluntary experience. I looked on some voluntary websites and one that interests me is being an online mentor to people who have depression. This entails writing to depressed people and trying to help them and just being a friend. Will I be fulfilling my 210 hours even if it's online?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Original post by Justanotherday
I want to do social work as a undergraduate degree, but I looked at the university that I wanted to apply to and it said that it needs 210 hours voluntary experience. I looked on some voluntary websites and one that interests me is being an online mentor to people who have depression. This entails writing to depressed people and trying to help them and just being a friend. Will I be fulfilling my 210 hours even if it's online?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Hi, firstly Social Work is a good choice. Secondly to answer your question, yes you would but it would be more beneficial if you a) had face to face experience and b) if you had more than one type of experience I.e. with different vulnerable groups. When I applied I used the fact I had an online support business for LGBT people (at the time). I didn't need a specific amount of hours but universities were interested in this. It's completely up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophieleannexo
Hi, firstly Social Work is a good choice. Secondly to answer your question, yes you would but it would be more beneficial if you a) had face to face experience and b) if you had more than one type of experience I.e. with different vulnerable groups. When I applied I used the fact I had an online support business for LGBT people (at the time). I didn't need a specific amount of hours but universities were interested in this. It's completely up to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you currently studying Social Work? If so can you tell me some information about it?
I can see your point about it being more beneficial if I had face to face experience. I need 210 hours of voluntary experience by January at the point of application, so a little stressed since I only decided this last week. I haven't had any idea what I wanted to do with my life until now.
Are you currently studying Social Work? If so can you tell me some information about it?
I can see your point about it being more beneficial if I had face to face experience. I need 210 hours of voluntary experience by January at the point of application, so a little stressed since I only decided this last week. I haven't had any idea what I wanted to do with my life until now.

Yes, I'm starting my degree in 11 days! What would you like to know about it? I'm happy to answer questions you may have. You could gain face to face experience and do your online support. What course are you doing at the moment? You'll be able to get that amount, so don't panic. Honestly don't worry, there will be a lot of people in a similar situation right now.
Original post by sophieleannexo
Yes, I'm starting my degree in 11 days! What would you like to know about it? I'm happy to answer questions you may have. You could gain face to face experience and do your online support. What course are you doing at the moment? You'll be able to get that amount, so don't panic. Honestly don't worry, there will be a lot of people in a similar situation right now.

I am doing English Language, Business Studies and Law. I heard that in undergraduate you do 50% practical and 50% assessment. Is this split or do you do all the practical in the first year?
I am doing English Language, Business Studies and Law. I heard that in undergraduate you do 50% practical and 50% assessment. Is this split or do you do all the practical in the first year?

Great. You could volunteer on the weekend or you could volunteer in your half terms etc. And it depends on your course. You do practical which is placements and you do theory which is essays about the different areas. You also have exams. Practice and theory is mixed in as they are linked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Where are you studying Sophie?

I'm looking at applying for Sept 2015
Original post by Oasis95
Where are you studying Sophie?

I'm looking at applying for Sept 2015

I'm studying at Sunderland University :smile: I absolutely love it.

Quick Reply

Latest