The Student Room Group

Inequalities on Graphs

Can someone please explain just how you do it once? For example solving the inequality x2-4x+3 <0? I know to factorise it in which it would be (x-3) (x-1), but where do I go from here?

Scroll to see replies

If I remember correctly, you should treat it like a quadratic equation.

(x-3)(x-1) = 0

so, x = 3
and, x = 1
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HarrisxK
If I remember correctly, you should treat it like a quadratic equation.

(x-3)(x-1) = 0

so, x = 3
and, x = 1

I got the answer 1<x<3; is this correct?
Original post by Caseyleia

yes

Yes, that is correct:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
yes

Thank you! Quick question, where the equation looks like this: 2x2-5x+2>0; I factorised to (2x-1) (x-2) and got the points x= 0.5 and x=2; but I'm not sure which parts I would be using? I put x<0.5 or x>2 but I know that's wrong :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by HarrisxK
Yes, that is correct:biggrin:

Thank you! Shame they get harder from now! I am not a fan of graph questions!
Thank you! Quick question, where the equation looks like this: 2x2-5x+2>0; I factorised to (2x-1) (x-2) and got the points x= 0.5 and x=2; but I'm not sure which parts I would be using? I put x<0.5 or x>2 but I know that's wrong :rolleyes:

That answer is correct - why did you think it was wrong

do you know what the graph looks like
Reply 8
That answer is correct - why did you think it was wrong

do you know what the graph looks like

I thought it was wrong because I can do them without the graph? I just do it in my head? And yes I have the graph in front of me, but I just get a bit confused in terms of x>0 and x<0 :colondollar:
I thought it was wrong because I can do them without the graph? I just do it in my head? And yes I have the graph in front of me, but I just get a bit confused in terms of x>0 and x<0 :colondollar:

What do you "do" in your head - there are a number of ways to solve these - I would never draw a graph but you seemed to think it was a graph question
Reply 10
What do you "do" in your head - there are a number of ways to solve these - I would never draw a graph but you seemed to think it was a graph question

I factorise it and use sort of just put them in and order, its hard to explain, but is it okay if I work out the next two and ask you if they're correct?
but is it okay if I work out the next two and ask you if they're correct?

sure
Reply 12
sure

On the next one, the equation was 4x2-20x+25>0; which I factorised as (2x-5) (2x-5). This however gives me the exact same points x=2.5 and x=2.5; did I factorise wrong?
On the next one, the equation was 4x2-20x+25>0; which I factorised as (2x-5) (2x-5). This however gives me the exact same points x=2.5 and x=2.5; did I factorise wrong?

no, that is correct
Reply 14
no, that is correct

Would the answer then be x<2.5 and x>2.5?
Would the answer then be x<2.5 and x>2.5?

well, yes

but you will want to put x2.5x \not= 2.5
Reply 16
well, yes

but you will want to put x2.5x \not= 2.5

Thank you! With your help I really am understanding at final last! I have more of these, and then I have 2 of them to leave in surd form, then I have finished all 100!
Thank you! With your help I really am understanding at final last! I have more of these, and then I have 2 of them to leave in surd form, then I have finished all 100!

Is this pre-A'level work?
Reply 18
Is this pre-A'level work?

Yes, but I have been told it is GCSE work that we're going over, except I didn't do work half this hard at GCSE and I got an A?!
The next one is 3x2 - x > 0; they're getting much easier now :smile:
Can someone please explain just how you do it once? For example solving the inequality x2-4x+3 <0? I know to factorise it in which it would be (x-3) (x-1), but where do I go from here?

Basically all this question is asking is:
Between which values of x is the graph of x^2 -4x +3 below the x axis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest