The Student Room Group

Why do people ego lift?

I was in the gym yesterday, and saw two guys who thought they could do 100kg on the bench press for reps. Of course when they did it, the bar only came to about 8 inches above their chest. I just wonder, did they really think anyone was impressed looking at them? Because they must have known that they weren't benching properly.
I have an ego, just like every man, but it never even occurs to me to add a few more kgs to the weight I was going to use just to make it look like I'm stronger then I am. Is it just insecurity on their part? Like they feel they have to impress other guys when going to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

to be honest, they probably didn't know they were not benching properly. A lot of these guys are clueless
Reply 2
Original post by commandant
to be honest, they probably didn't know they were not benching properly. A lot of these guys are clueless

This

Was benching the other day and some huge guy came up to me and complimented my technique saying the majority of people he see's do it wrong.

Felt good brahs
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
People always seem to ego squat in my gym. Saw two people trying to squat 110kg and their arses moved about two inches to the ground before going back up.

Guess they didn't want to be outdone by one another, sad.
Well lifting heavy is always the best way , if they hurt themselves thats their fault
That is pretty impressive. Where can i meet these super human men?!
Most half reppers either don't know they're half repping or think there's a valid reason for doing so. My mate half reps shoulder press "because that's how I do it" and refuses to try changing.

When it comes to squats it's usually a form issue. People squat with their knees forwards (goodnight sweet kneecaps) but as a result due to their ankle flexibility they can't get anything like near parallel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by illusionz
Most half reppers either don't know they're half repping or think there's a valid reason for doing so. My mate half reps shoulder press "because that's how I do it" and refuses to try changing.

When it comes to squats it's usually a form issue. People squat with their knees forwards (goodnight sweet kneecaps) but as a result due to their ankle flexibility they can't get anything like near parallel.

Forward knee travel affecting knees is a myth.
Lift heavy to release that feeling within you where you feel good and strong. Everyone does it, even I did. But sensible lifters put that ego to the side and understand that by lowering the weight they will make more gainzzz.
Original post by AmphuqEnzeezbra
Forward knee travel affecting knees is a myth.

lol ok good luck with your knee snapping goals of 2014
Reply 10
I hate this 'gym culture' you talk about.
I go to a uni gym and it's 1000% worse than a public gym I swear.
It makes me not want to go, because all the lads are on the benches and there's little old me on a treadmill or rowing machine! There's absolutely no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean the knees are parallel when squatting right?

If so, that's the main reason why people do 1/8th or 1/4 reps.

Point your feet and knees outwards people
Original post by Baloney
It makes me not want to go, because all the lads are on the benches and there's little old me on a treadmill or rowing machine! There's absolutely no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wat
Reply 13
Original post by Baloney

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww...

:rofl:

Edit: The way you phrased it made me laugh but I don't see anything wrong with the rowing machine or treadmill.
(edited 9 years ago)

Good luck with your broscience goals.
Sometimes I wonder whether the guy on the bench is actually spotting the other guy's barbell rows.
Some people aren't doing it for ego, they just have bad form
This is why I gym at 6am, avoid eye contact with everyone and leave before it gets busy.

Genuinely hate people who define themselves by gym culture. Useless, boring people.

haha

I'm afraid I cannot concur.

Your knee should actually track over your around your first toe and that's partly what makes squats quad dominant and uses your VMO more, otherwise you would just be sitting back like a deadlift. Ankle mobility limits how low you can go to some extent but mainly if your knees are going forward as that is when your calves a stretched.

Ego lifting aside, the lowest portion of pressing exercises - say bench and shoulder press - are the most stressful on the shoulder joint. This is why floor pressing is a lot safer than bench pressing, along with retracting and protracting your shoulder and keeping elbows at 45 degrees.

Also, partial lifting didn't seem to do these boys too much harm in terms of restricting muscle growth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioWCrOFYvE

Quick Reply

Latest