The Student Room Group

Not very good AS-results :/ Open college??

Hi guys,
I received my AS-Levels a couple of weeks ago and they weren't as good as I hoped. Unfortunately, I also didn't meet the required grades needed to progress to Year 13 (I attend(ed) a grammar school), which means that my only option is to retake Year 12 at another college. However, I'd like to just complete my A-Levels, since I was planning to attend open/online university and study (Human) Geography anyway, and then complete a PGCE to teach in a secondary school, which is a career plan that does not require me to redo the year, as it is not very competitive. I have been researching open college but the prices are too high for a student like me to afford. Although I studied Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Spanish at AS-Level, do you think that it is possible for me to study A2 Spanish, and AS&A2 Geography at home independently, without paying for online tutoring and to take the exams at an exam centre?
Also, are A-Levels necessary when intending to apply for teaching jobs etc if I already have a degree? And can A-Levels be studied later?
Personally, I would say continue your a levels at another college or if not maybe redo the year. For the most competitive jobs, its best to do a levels, and you will end up getting a better degree and have the experience of going to university. If you feel a levels aren't for you, then try the open uni as they don't actually have any entry requirements, so that might suit you. It is possible to study a levels at might, but i honestly think a school environment is better, you might get distracted at home, and its good for your motivation to be surrounded by people who are also doing a levels.
Thanks for the advice. I'm also considering doing an apprenticeship as a viable option, because I would still come out with A-Levels.
Whoo! all that drama for nothing!! My old sixth form let me back in to retake the year! :biggrin:
Original post by CookieMonster:')
Hi guys,
I received my AS-Levels a couple of weeks ago and they weren't as good as I hoped. Unfortunately, I also didn't meet the required grades needed to progress to Year 13 (I attend(ed) a grammar school), which means that my only option is to retake Year 12 at another college. However, I'd like to just complete my A-Levels, since I was planning to attend open/online university and study (Human) Geography anyway, and then complete a PGCE to teach in a secondary school, which is a career plan that does not require me to redo the year, as it is not very competitive. I have been researching open college but the prices are too high for a student like me to afford. Although I studied Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Spanish at AS-Level, do you think that it is possible for me to study A2 Spanish, and AS&A2 Geography at home independently, without paying for online tutoring and to take the exams at an exam centre?
Also, are A-Levels necessary when intending to apply for teaching jobs etc if I already have a degree? And can A-Levels be studied later?

I think you should double check fees, state-funded colleges should offer free A-level courses if you are under 19.

Quick Reply

Latest