The Student Room Group

English Lit OR Psychology

Hi,
I am due to start my A-levels in a week ! And i am still unsure of what to take, initially i wanted to take History,Textiles, Math and, Biology but after not getting the grade in Maths i needed in order to take it at A level i now have to choose between English Lit and Psychology.

I am interested in both subjects and am finding it extremely hard to choose between them, has anyone taken them at A level and what are your thoughts? Also which do you think would be most respected by universities as i have no idea what career i would like to do,

Thank you, any help appreciated
I studied English Lit at A-Level and I am going on to study it at university in a few weeks. Firstly, I'd say it depends on what really interests you...you should find out what the courses include, for English Lit especially - for example what texts you will be reading/studying. This is super important because you will be expected to read them in depth. I know people who studied psychology and they didn't seem to enjoy it as it covers a wide range of different topics and its pretty difficult to cover them all to the level they were expected to. This being said, English Lit is an A-Level and no A-Levels are easy..

I hope that you enjoy whatever you choose.. being biased I'd say choose English Lit but again, it depends on which subject better suits your personality..

& don't worry too much about your exams.. they're difficult and stressful but you'll get through them!!
To aimeesteven12;50029789
Thankyou for replying so quickly ! :smile:
Thanks i know that if i took English Lit i would study
Joseph Conrad
Henry James
Edward Thomas
Did you study any of these ?
Thanks again
No problem! I didn't study any of them, but I know of them - the thing to remember is all of the poets/authors/playwrights that are available to study as part of your course have been made that way for a reason.. their work can be studied in depth and has meaning.. therefore you can do pretty well in your exams.

Do you read a lot outside of school? I've known people to get by without the passion for reading but I'd say it makes it way more enjoyable and easy..
Ok, yes I do I think throughout high school Reading became less of a priority because there was always something else that seemed more important and i spent a lot more time on my phone, but I've kind if got back into it because of the longer summer you get between year 11 and 12 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that happened to me too..trying to find time to read was hard..anyway, I hope whatever choice you make you enjoy it - I thoroughly enjoyed English Lit and I would recommend it, I can't speak personally with Psychology but there are so many people who love that too.
Thanks for help ! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Usually your teacher / english department will decide what books you'll be studying for the exam, so might be worthy asking.

Respectability wise, probably is english lit. But the difference between the subjects are quite minute, since psychology is such a highly popular taken subject - You won't have issues if you take either subject as your main A2's

I can only speak about psychology and there is a lot of memorising, however the exam will not scare you at all - little variation and the exam boards dont really go crazy outside the spec. Basically, tough revision, easy exam - similar to gcse RS if you ever taken it.
Ok, thank you,

is RS like religious education ? is it essay based because I am also taking history, also if you don't mind me asking what are you considering as a career because I have read that psychology can lead on to loads of careers but just wondered what ones it would actually be useful in ?

Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest