The Student Room Group

Existential and Career Crisis

Hi,
I've just graduated from university with a Biomedical Sciences degree but now I've hit a bout of anxiety and some form of depression in terms of what my future holds for me in terms of employment, lifestyle, career, salary and family life in general.

For most of my young life I've wanted to become a doctor and failed in almost every step and hurdle along the way. My passion has always been there and I never could imagine doing another job apart from it. I've applied for GEM SO MANY times and failed I've now given up.

I know there are almost next to none high paying jobs in the Biomedical market and part of my depression is due to the fact I know I could be making considerably more in medicine in a much more rewarding job because I'd love to be helping people as well. Then comes the prestige of medicine and how they're more likely to have much better life prospects in terms of job stability and finding their right life partnersdue to their job success.

i just need help getting over it and whether there were any opportunities in making a fairly good salary elsewhere because I've wasted so much money going to university for a degree where graduates earn next to nothing.

edit: I know this thread may come across as egocentric/overtly materialistic but medicine has always been my primary passion and I know I'd enjoy the job of helping people, with the added bonus of it being a good paying career. I know in my current capacity I won't be able to get a good job with a decent salary so I need to find a job with my degree that pays fairly well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bump
First of all, let me say that it is very common to feel like this after graduation. There can be huge come down after finishing you degree, where you have to start from the bottom in building a career and a life. You are definitely not alone in feeling this way.

Second, your degree is in a well respected field, and you are at no disadvantage compared to most undergraduates. I appreciate you may feel bad for not doing a medical degree but there are many other options. Is clinical sciences or research a possibility?

If helping people motivates you, would you consider nursing? Or would it be too galling to work with doctors and not be one? You could also consider teaching if you want to help?

Good luck with your future.
Original post by chazwomaq
First of all, let me say that it is very common to feel like this after graduation. There can be huge come down after finishing you degree, where you have to start from the bottom in building a career and a life. You are definitely not alone in feeling this way.

Second, your degree is in a well respected field, and you are at no disadvantage compared to most undergraduates. I appreciate you may feel bad for not doing a medical degree but there are many other options. Is clinical sciences or research a possibility?

If helping people motivates you, would you consider nursing? Or would it be too galling to work with doctors and not be one? You could also consider teaching if you want to help?

Good luck with your future.

I don't think I'd ever consider working in a hospital environment unless I was a doctor in some capacity to be honest. I just have a really bad feeling of envy (I know, it's bad), but I've got so many friends who have managed to find success in medicine, and here I am staring down the barrel with considerably worse life prospects than them.

The best I can possibly ever earn is half of what I could have made as a successful surgeon which while wrong I know, sort of makes me feel a little resentful about the mess I'm in.

I know all these feelings are somewhat wrong and I should remain humble and pleased with where I've gone in relative terms, but I still have a feeling of emptiness inside.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending