The Student Room Group

Chemistry at University 2015

Hi
I am hoping to apply for Chemistry at Uni and wondered if anyone could comment on Bath Uni. They have an open day next week which I am going to attend and wondered if is anyone who is currently studying Chemistry or been accepted who could let me know what offer they got.
I am doing Chem/Biology & Geography A Levels but was disappointed to get B C C in AS levels and was a couple of ums marks off a B in Chemistry.Bath say you need B in Chemistry at AS - does anyone think it is still worth the visit or am I wasting time. I will be predicted AAB at A Levels but am aiming for AAA and may even be predicted that as my tutors believe I can achieve.
I visited York who did mention they look at predicted and not what we get atAS.
I have also considered York/Kings/UCL And Warwick.
I loved my visit to London at Kings but am concerned as they are not accredited by the RCS - do you think this matters? Also as not done Maths I know Warwick prefers this but not essential so is it worth a shot?
I have now changed things around to ensure I can give my all to study this next year and believe I can get AAA with hard work.
I acheived all A's at GCSE so no issue with this area.

Any feedback help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
I'd be inclined to avoid Warwick - purely because you don't have maths or physics. I don't think your grades are strong enough to instill confidence that you'll be fine without them. They say maths is only preferred, but if your second science isn't physics then they say AS maths is usually required. Seems far too risky.

I think it's probably still worth visiting Bath - you can ask them yourself about how much of a problem the C grade is. Even if you don't apply there, it may serve as a good benchmark when you visit other places. I found the first university I went to see was amazinggg (Warwick), but then after seeing the rest, and going back to Warwick, I didn't like it so much.

I'd try and pick RCS accredited courses ideally, but it depends what you want to do. It's mainly only applicable if you're looking to become chartered later on/intending to stay in the industry. Becoming chartered requires a Master's level qualification though, so if it's a BSc programme then this may well be why it's not accredited (but may be 'recognised' by the RSC) so it's no issue.
Reply 2
Thank you

Perhaps will rethink Warwick, I know York are fine with no Maths and Bath so prob be main choices but as you say I loved London and York but missed UCL Open day and they only offer one a year as would liked to have compared both London Unis as I am sure when you re visit you see things differently.

Which Uni are you at?

York did say not to worry about AS so hope I can get an offer.

Anyone any feedback from Bath course would be great and hoping my AS C will not hinder me applying?

If Any other Chemistry students studying at different Unis your view of your course/uni would be great.

Fingers crossed I will get offers.

Thanks

ompletley different
Original post by Nymthae
I'd be inclined to avoid Warwick - purely because you don't have maths or physics. I don't think your grades are strong enough to instill confidence that you'll be fine without them. They say maths is only preferred, but if your second science isn't physics then they say AS maths is usually required. Seems far too risky.

I think it's probably still worth visiting Bath - you can ask them yourself about how much of a problem the C grade is. Even if you don't apply there, it may serve as a good benchmark when you visit other places. I found the first university I went to see was amazinggg (Warwick), but then after seeing the rest, and going back to Warwick, I didn't like it so much.

I'd try and pick RCS accredited courses ideally, but it depends what you want to do. It's mainly only applicable if you're looking to become chartered later on/intending to stay in the industry. Becoming chartered requires a Master's level qualification though, so if it's a BSc programme then this may well be why it's not accredited (but may be 'recognised' by the RSC) so it's no issue.
Reply 3
Original post by barbsblue

I am at Sheffield. It's a great department in a lovely city, and they do actually interview in some cases which may be helpful in terms of pleading a case.

QMUL might be one to think about if you're interested in London. Typical offer being ABB so it's within reach/comparable to what Warwick is. They don't state anything about maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending