The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2018
Bristol is a big medical school though so does have more places! Good Luck :smile:

Thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by JMJ_1996
I just have to say how weird it is that you're looking at all of the same ones as me. I narrowed it down to those seven and nottingham. I wouldn't opt for UEA as your UKCAT doesn't give you much chance. Bristol is rly lovely I looked there but very city and very spaced out which depends if you like that. St georges would be a really good option because they invite everyone that meets UKCAT cut off to interview and cut off last year was 637 and it will probably be lower this year. Leeds do the BMAT so it depends if you want to do that

Hahaha what are the chances :tongue:!
It's hard to narrow them down!! Ok UEA is off the list then and St Georges is on (why do you think itll be lower ?:smile:). I don't know whether to do the BMAT (I'm debating)?? What are you thinking of picking between them 7?
I've narrowed it to Liverpool, Lancaster, Bristol, St Georges and Leeds??:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by 2018
Bristol is a big medical school though so does have more places! Good Luck :smile:

This is untrue. Places to offers bristol is much more in demand
Reply 23
Original post by Pumuki63
Hahaha what are the chances :tongue:!
It's hard to narrow them down!! Ok UEA is off the list then and St Georges is on (why do you think itll be lower ?:smile:). I don't know whether to do the BMAT (I'm debating)?? What are you thinking of picking between them 7?
I've narrowed it to Liverpool, Lancaster, Bristol, St Georges and Leeds??:smile:

Because the preliminary scores for 2014 and lower than 2013 as supposedly it's harder this year with new question styles. Yeah I was thinking the same, I did a practice and opted against it as I got 5.0 and 4.7 which is fairly average score and don't think I'd get that far with that although I suppose you can revise and do better. Ultimately I just don't want to do another test I think :') also I haven't looked round leeds. I haven't actually done my UKCAT yet so it's quite hard to say, however I hope to get about 670. I'm going to probably apply to liverpool, lancaster, bristol and nottingham. However if I do badly I'll apply to keele and if I do well I'll apply to UEA

much more in demand than which ones? Liverpool and Keele?
Reply 25

Yeah I think your right but I suppose it's hard to call as all medical schools are oversubscribed :smile:
Because the preliminary scores for 2014 and lower than 2013 as supposedly it's harder this year with new question styles. Yeah I was thinking the same, I did a practice and opted against it as I got 5.0 and 4.7 which is fairly average score and don't think I'd get that far with that although I suppose you can revise and do better. Ultimately I just don't want to do another test I think :') also I haven't looked round leeds. I haven't actually done my UKCAT yet so it's quite hard to say, however I hope to get about 670. I'm going to probably apply to liverpool, lancaster, bristol and nottingham. However if I do badly I'll apply to keele and if I do well I'll apply to UEA

I don't know if I want to do another test either!! (I went around Leeds and liked it so that's whats keeping me unsure). Oh good luck!!!:biggrin: When is your UKCAT?? I found the Verbal Reasoning very hard (a lot to read in little time) and the Quantitative Reasoning much better than the books and practice papers :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by 2018
Yes those are great. Lancaster want a score of at least 15 from 9 GCSEs where A/A*=2 points. Therefore you score the maximum for GCSEs providing your A*/A are in sciences maths and English Language :smile: I'd say you stand a good chance!

They don't require an A*/A for English Language though? I think you're getting confused with Bristol and Birmingham!
Reply 28
GCSEs: 4A*s (Chemistry, Biology, Physics & Maths), 3As (P.E, Art, Chinese), 4Bs (English Lang, English Lit, History, Econ)
I believe this adds up to 16 points.

IB Predicted: 39/44 (HL - 7,7,6 Chemistry, Biology, Psychology; SL - 6,6,5 Maths, French, English)
Work Experience: Work Shadowing in a hospital in London for a week, shadowed a doctor (cut-man) at an MMA event.
Extra Curricular - Play Rugby on school, club and national Level. Chairperson for OperationSmile Effort within school (do a lot for them outside of school also). Did 2 weeks of conservation work in Indonesia (don't know how useful that is though..)

What are my chances of getting an interview/offer??

Desperately Need Help!!!!
I've been lucky enough to get offers from both of these Universities for medicine and I'm really struggling to make a decision!
Can anyone offer any advice? I have make my firm and insurance choices far too soon...
Reply 30
Original post by CROWCROWCROW
I've been lucky enough to get offers from both of these Universities for medicine and I'm really struggling to make a decision!
Can anyone offer any advice? I have make my firm and insurance choices far too soon...

Personally I'd go for lancaster as I think the uni and campus has a rly lovely feel to it and it has a busy enough town quite close. Keele on the other hand is in the middle of nowhere so if you like to go out or have a social life or whatever I certainly wouldn't choose there. I also thought all of the accommodation was awful when I visited. However keele does have a good reputation and the year group at lancaster is very small so it depends on your preferences. Personally I'd go for lancaster

Latest