The Student Room Group

What to take for undergraduate to be ICT Teacher?

If I wanted to be an ICT teacher in a comprehensive school what undergraduate degree would I need?

Is there any specific one or as long as its computer based that's fine?
I guess if you're going straight in post degree then Computer science would be best.
You'll need a good mix of programming and technical knowledge from what I've seen of the course content for my PGCE. I've got in through industry experience as I have an entirely unrelated degree and Masters, but have worked in industry for the past 6/7 years so that worked just as well.
Reply 2
Im pretty sure you could be OK with pretty much any science, engineering or maths degree, considering how little programming is in the crap high school curriculum you can more than master the required level as a science student.
I am a physics student and we did loads of C++, MatLab. Also HTML, CSS and we have to use Latex to write disso which kind of resembles a programming language. You would hardly need any more than that to teach in high school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SweetNothing
If I wanted to be an ICT teacher in a comprehensive school what undergraduate degree would I need?

ICT no longer exists as a National Curriculum subject in comprehensive schools. It has been replaced by Computing. A degree in Computer Science would be best.
Original post by SweetNothing

See answer below.

Original post by Mr M
ICT no longer exists as a National Curriculum subject in comprehensive schools. It has been replaced by Computing. A degree in Computer Science would be best.

This. It is GCSE Computing now and I'm starting the PGCE this September. You will need a degree from a Computer Science discipline or Maths/Engineering with experience in most cases. You may be asked to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course though if you've not got the knowledge.

I didn't do strict Computer Science but my course was within the department and my subject knowledge was sufficient enough that I didn't need to do the SKE course. Do not do something like Business IT or a course like that as it will not give you the skills required.

You need to be able to program, have an understanding of algorithms, etc.

If I were you I'd take straight Computer Science. If you want to give yourself more opportunities then do Computer Science with a language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending