The Student Room Group

Can anyone help with Valencies?

Slightly confused.. and can't clearly understand

- would be appreciated greatly
I think it's the amount of bond an atom can make/electrons in it's outer shell, although I am **** at chemistry..
Reply 2
Yeah I understand that part.. but I've got a few equations here for example Potassium Sulphate (IV) To get the Symbol/Numericals it becomes K2SO4.. I think I'm confuzzled by something more that i don't know how it splits into that
Reply 3
valency is an old fashioned idea - in a sense it is the 'combining power' of an atom. For ions their valency is the size of the charge (ignoring its sign). In compounds with covalent bonding it is the number of covalent bonds formed. The idea can be extended to 'radicals' such as the SO4 which has a valency of 2
Original post by Scepticism
Yeah I understand that part.. but I've got a few equations here for example Potassium Sulphate (IV) To get the Symbol/Numericals it becomes K2SO4.. I think I'm confuzzled by something more that i don't know how it splits into that

Basically the valency is the number of electrons an atom needs to lose, gain or share to have a full outer shell (8 electrons). Since the group numbers tell you how many electrons there are in the outer shell, you either add up to 4 electrons or lose up to 4 electrons or share electrons to get to 8 electrons in the outer shell. if you lose electrons, the atom will lose a shell and become positively charged. To find the chemical formula, you follow 4 steps:

1. write the elements present in the formula K S O
2. write their valencies next to them K 1 S 2 O 2
3. switch the valencies of the first 2 elements K2S1 (but you dont need 1 because there is one, so, K2S)
4. sulfate is sulfur in +4, thats where you get the ending SO4 from (thanks JMaydom), so altogether, you get K2SO4
(edited 9 years ago)
Valency is used in this context for helping us describe the expected bonding of atoms. It comes from the term for the outermost shell of electron, the Valence shell.
For example, carbon has a valency of 4. It has 4 electrons in it's outer shell. As you should know atoms generally bond so they achieve a full valence shell of 8, either by ionic or covalent bonding. Carbon achieves this by covalent bonding as will bond will form 4 bonds to achieve the stable 8 electron configuration.

Original post by Scepticism

The (IV) denotes that the sulfur atom is in the +4 oxidation state. Not really necessary as sulfate means sulfur in +4 but is important for say Iron oxide. It could be Fe (II) or Fe (III) as Iron can form the oxide in two different oxidation states.
Reply 6
Thank you all so very much.. !
Original post by foreverdubz
Basically the valency is the number of electrons an atom needs to lose, gain or share to have a full outer shell (8 electrons). Since the group numbers tell you how many electrons there are in the outer shell, you either add up to 4 electrons or lose up to 4 electrons or share electrons to get to 8 electrons in the outer shell. if you lose electrons, the atom will lose a shell and become positively charged. To find the chemical formula, you follow 4 steps:

1. write the elements present in the formula K S O
2. write their valencies next to them K 1 S 2 O 2
3. switch the valencies of the first 2 elements K2S1 (but you dont need 1 because there is one, so, K2S)
4. sulfate is sulfur in +4, thats where you get the ending SO4 from (thanks JMaydom), so altogether, you get K2SO4

Potassium sulphate(IV) is K2SO3
Original post by charco
Potassium sulphate(IV) is K2SO3

Oh dear...... is there an embarrassed emoticon? To be fair I didn't think about it at all.

Also K2SO3 is sulfite not sulfate
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
In modern nomenclature K2SO3 is called potassium sulphate(IV) [old name potassium sulphite]
whereas K2SO4 is potassium sulphate(VI) [old name potassium sulphate]

In truth the concept of valency breaks down (in is simple application) for elements which can 'expand the octet' such as sulphur which can have valencies of 2,4 or 6
Original post by GDN
In modern nomenclature K2SO3 is called potassium sulphate(IV) [old name potassium sulphite]
whereas K2SO4 is potassium sulphate(VI) [old name potassium sulphate]

In truth the concept of valency breaks down (in is simple application) for elements which can 'expand the octet' such as sulphur which can have valencies of 2,4 or 6

and to be a real dick..... sulphate should be spelt sulfate if we're doing new names for things :P

Quick Reply

Latest