The Student Room Group

Radiology to Medicine

How likely is it to do Medicine with a degree in Radiology and Oncology?
Or do a degree in biomedical Science?
Original post by JonnyRutherford
How likely is it to do Medicine with a degree in Radiology and Oncology?
Or do a degree in biomedical Science?

Radiology and oncology are medical specialties. You need to be a qualified doctor first before you become a radiologist or an oncologist.

Did you mean radiography?
Original post by Democracy
Radiology and oncology are medical specialties. You need to be a qualified doctor first before you become a radiologist or an oncologist.

Did you mean radiography?

a Radiography and Oncology degree
Reply 3
a Radiography and Oncology degree

Oncology is a medial speciality you have to do medicine to do oncology. There is a course called radiography which you can do to become a radiographer. You can the do graduate entry medicine but it is a lot harder to get into than normal undergraduate medicine and more expensive as you can't get a loan for a second degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by staks
Oncology is a medial speciality you have to do medicine to do oncology. There is a course called radiography which you can do to become a radiographer. You can the do graduate entry medicine but it is a lot harder to get into than normal undergraduate medicine and more expensive as you can't get a loan for a second degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do Radiology and Oncology herehttp://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/751/

yeah your right is is very expensive!!!! I just want to know how possible it is to do this move from radiography or whatever to medicine.
Reply 5
You can do Radiology and Oncology herehttp://www.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/course/751/

yeah your right is is very expensive!!!! I just want to know how possible it is to do this move from radiography or whatever to medicine.

It is possible but graduate entry is a lot more competitive that's the only problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

No you can't thats not radiology its radiography. It sounds pedantic but they are different jobs with different requirements and skill-sets. One is a doctor and the the other isn't. Once you complete these course depending on your degree result you may be eligible to apply for graduate entry medicine courses.

Yes it's possible. Once you finish your radiography degree, you'll have to apply for postgraduate medicine and might have to take the GAMSAT, which is a postgraduate medical entry exam. If you score high enough in your degree and GAMSAT and do well in your interview, you can get in to medicine.
Reply 8
Original post by staks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate medicine counts as a continuation course and financing is available, albeit at a lower proportion than undergraduate medicine.

Spoiler

As for the OP, it certainly is possible to go from a radiography degree (and one of the current students here did just that)
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Yes it's possible. Once you finish your radiography degree, you'll have to apply for postgraduate medicine and might have to take the GAMSAT, which is a postgraduate medical entry exam. If you score high enough in your degree and GAMSAT and do well in your interview, you can get in to medicine.

Thank you, that was really informative :smile:
Original post by alex193
Graduate medicine counts as a continuation course and financing is available, albeit at a lower proportion than undergraduate medicine.

Spoiler

As for the OP, it certainly is possible to go from a radiography degree (and one of the current students here did just that)

Thank you very much, that was the most informative comment Ive had so far :smile:
Reply 11
Yes you can. Though if you have the grades to study medicine as a first degree I would highly suggest that route, as it is far easier to get in to compared to graduate entry medicine and the funding is much less complicated.
I'd seriously consider foundation programs and access courses before graduate entry medicine though.

Graduate entry medicine, as it is not a postgraduate degree, does receive funding. However, you still have to pay the first ~£3500 of year one yourself and are then funded thereafter. In addition, this is only confirmed for 2015 entry.The future for funding and the structure of the graduate entry route is a bit iffy though.

In all honesty I would only do a course you would be happy doing for the rest of your career as there is a significant chance you may not get on to a GEM course and to retrain after doing a first degree is a heavy financial burden if nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending