The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Wanted to apply for computer science...

Hi, I just started A2, and I wanted to check if my grades would give a chance to study computer science.

I'll most probably be predicted:
Maths - A*
Physics - A
Economics - A

Could somebody tell me if they do computer science with similar grades?
no fm?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
No, unfortunately I didn't take it.
Original post by uzzi38
No, unfortunately I didn't take it.

You still have a good chance

Maybe FM AS to bolster your application?
Reply 4
It's a little bit late to apply for an AS for me now, but I have got other things like work experience and self taught skills to help with my application
Original post by uzzi38
It's a little bit late to apply for an AS for me now, but I have got other things like work experience and self taught skills to help with my application

How is it too late? Term hasn't even started yet; phone/go into your school and ask to be put in to AS fm. It's just a case of adding you to the list, and they'll let you on it if you're going to predicted an A* in A2 maths. If you want to get into UCL, you need to be proactive about the situation, starting now.
Reply 6
I live abroad, and term has started here. I asked about it before, and I was told that the number of students taking further maths here was too high to accept another one. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who asked.
Original post by uzzi38
I live abroad, and term has started here. I asked about it before, and I was told that the number of students taking further maths here was too high to accept another one. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who asked.

Ask about it again then; there's no harm in asking. You should be able to catch up easily with what you've missed and their policy of taking new people may have changed from before.
Reply 8
Well, I'll try again, and hopefully I'll be allowed to do it.

Thanks L'Evil Fish and Pectorac for your help
Original post by uzzi38
Well, I'll try again, and hopefully I'll be allowed to do it.

Thanks L'Evil Fish and Pectorac for your help

Self teach! Not too hard

FP1 and 2 applied modules
In my opinion, with those A-levels/grades, it's definitely worth applying.

What I'm about to say is purely anecdotal.

I was accepted to study MEng Mathematical Computation (Maths and CompSci). I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-level, and received A*AA grades (respectively). This was at a state school, by the way.

From my experience, UCL had an exceptionally fair applications process. They highly valued enthusiasm for your chosen subject, as well as being able to think for yourself. Though academic achievement at A-level is important, it seemed that it was not the be all and end all. All correspondence was friendly and helpful, and I felt valued as an individual. This was one of the main reasons I chose UCL.

If you can demonstrate that you are keen to study your subject as well as have aptitude, I would say that you have a very strong application with those grades.

Good luck with your second year of A-levels and your application to university!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uzzi38
Hi, I just started A2, and I wanted to check if my grades would give a chance to study computer science.

I'll most probably be predicted:
Maths - A*
Physics - A
Economics - A

Could somebody tell me if they do computer science with similar grades?

Hey, I'm starting CS in two weeks after having applied last year.

You should be able to get an offer with those predictions, as long as you can show passion for CS in your personal statement (and other extra cric...)

I wouldn't worry about Further Maths if you haven't done it at AS. I was in the same position as you were last year and after emailing them, UCL said it doesn't matter.

Whilst its not required, I did do Further Maths AS in my A2 year - only because I loved Maths so much in my AS year.

To echo what the person above said, I think the UCL admissions for CS is extremely fair and gave me an offer despite getting AABB in my AS year. I too came from a state school.
Reply 12
Thanks everybody for the replies.

I managed to get the AS in further maths through, (despite how reluctant the head of sixth form was haha), and I should be joining up soon.

Once again, thanks everybody for your opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending