The Student Room Group

Maths 1mao higher november 2014 exam linear

I've already passed higher tier maths and I'm planning on sitting the November 2014 exam which is about 9 weeks away to get the next grade.

Does anyone have any predictions as to what might turn up on the paper (paper 1&2), if so you would be at great help and I would appreciate it so much!
Also what are your opinions on the November exam?.. Do you think it'll be harder than November 2013? Any ideas on Grade boundaries?
Reply 1
I found the June exam the easiest that I've done so far and that's the 3rd time I took the exam. Just hope it isn't too hard :frown: I was going to drop it if I got the grade that I want, giving me time to revise for my A Levels

I don't have much time to begin to revise all the content, that's why I'm saying it would be helpful to know the likely topics to come up.
Do you think they've created the November 2014 papers already?:confused:

Do you have any tips on getting a B grade?
Reply 2
Original post by WorkHard8
Do you think they've created the November 2014 papers already?:confused:

Exam papers are made almost years in advance i think, so yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by thatawesomekid
Exam papers are made almost years in advance i think, so yes

Ohh WOW:eek: really? Never knew that:colondollar:
Well the grade boundaries for Edexcel maths are usually,

160+ = A*

120-159 = A

85-119 = B

33-84 = C

They do vary of course but in general this is how the marks to grades are usually around
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Im doing this paper as well but the topics are always the same and similar to the ones that come every year so im just focusing on the hard questions and hoping for the best i got a D in my maths in august as we had to do three papers so in this one im hoping to get an A or even a B but i have no idea what could come up :frown:
Reply 6
im doing this paper as well but dont know wat to expect
Reply 7
What topics do u think will come up do u think grade boundaries will be high or low??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by rohan taneja
What topics do u think will come up do u think grade boundaries will be high or low??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Higher boundaries than june, as Nick said. Algebra always comes up, as far as I'm aware... Just do past papers, and use the mark scheme to amend you answers, and consolidate your understanding (making sure you'd get 100% if you did the same paper again). Do as many past papers as possible. Do past papers in time conditions, as if it were the real thing. Use Mathswatch for unfamiliar topics.. Do questions from your textbooks for your weaker topics..Make notes.. Quote/PM me for any other exam/ revision tips. :smile: Good luck
Reply 9
When shall i start doing past papers cos they are only 8 papers to do four from paper 1 and four from paper 2 the only questions i find difficult are the ones at the end starting from question 20 and just like the problem solving questions and the conversion graphs urghhh someone help!!! I really want an A
Is there any predictions on what specific topic may come up in the exam and I just started revising because of so much work load due to AS :frown: it that okay though? I really need to get an A.
is it worth retaking maths gcse to get an A* since i narrowly missed out and only got an A this summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by tanyapotter
is it worth retaking maths gcse to get an A* since i narrowly missed out and only got an A this summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What year are you in now? What do you want to do in your further education? Do you like maths?
Original post by 8472
What year are you in now? What do you want to do in your further education? Do you like maths?

doing maths and further maths a-level right now so i do enjoy it a lot. i want to go into physics or engineering. an A was the requirement to do further maths at a level and it's still a good grade so i don't know if it's worth it, but i would REALLY like to have got an A* because i was really ill that day and know exactly why i messed up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
doing maths and further maths a-level right now so i do enjoy it a lot. i want to go into physics or engineering. an A was the requirement to do further maths at a level and it's still a good grade so i don't know if it's worth it, but i would REALLY like to have got an A* because i was really ill that day and know exactly why i messed up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case I personally wouldn't. You'll have the a-level maths which almost "invalidates" the GCSE maths. What are you thinking about doing at Uni? Or are you thinking about something else after college? :smile:
Original post by 8472
In that case I personally wouldn't. You'll have the a-level maths which almost "invalidates" the GCSE maths. What are you thinking about doing at Uni? Or are you thinking about something else after college? :smile:

i would like to study physics or engineering at university so hopefully a good grade in maths and further maths will negate my less-than-stellar gcse performance :biggrin: plus, it would be stupid to dwell on gcses in the middle of year 12..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
i would like to study physics or engineering at university so hopefully a good grade in maths and further maths will negate my less-than-stellar gcse performance :biggrin: plus, it would be stupid to dwell on gcses in the middle of year 12..

An A grade is still good. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest