The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Ethernet question, (Whitworth)

How many ethernet ports are in a room? Can we only have one device connected at a time and have to change them around or is there multiple ports?
I don't know for sure but I expect there's only one ethernet port per room.

According to Hornet's website, they're in the process of installing Wi-Fi in all the halls of residence. I have no idea how many halls have it as of yet though. If Whitworth doesn't, there's a guide for setting up a personal hotspot on your computer that you can use to connect other devices to the internet at the same time: http://hornet.manchester.ac.uk/wifi/personal-hotspot-in-halls
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I don't know for sure but I expect there's only one ethernet port per room.

According to Hornet's website, they're in the process of installing Wi-Fi in all the halls of residence. I have no idea how many halls have it as of yet though. If Whitworth doesn't, there's a guide for setting up a personal hotspot on your computer that you can use to connect other devices to the internet at the same time: http://hornet.manchester.ac.uk/wifi/personal-hotspot-in-halls

I asked on the FB page, I know how to set up a hotspot but we're not allowed to set up our own access points which is rather annoying, not sure how strict they are about enforcing this rule though.
Original post by Joshmcl26
I asked on the FB page, I know how to set up a hotspot but we're not allowed to set up our own access points which is rather annoying, not sure how strict they are about enforcing this rule though.

I don't know how likely it is they'd find out if someone was using an access point but if they did, they'd be well within their rights to shut off that person's internet access completely. Personally, I don't think the risk is worth it just for a bit of extra convenience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending