The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni choices confusion and procrastination (attending trent in september 2014)

hi, so just a quick heads up this will almost certainly be rambling, possibly contradictory, dumb and convoluted. Feel free to turn back now!

I've really struggled to narrow down my choices throughout my education, but for obvious reasons university has been the hardest choice. Over the past 3 years I have filled out 5 different ucas applications for varying degrees and combinations of art and history based subjects. I've finally accepted a place to study theatre design at Nottingham Trent this year. But, despite this I am still doubting my choices, and as enrollment draws ever nearer, slightly panicking. I went to a normal comprehensive school and sixth form and had some of the highest grades at GCSE & A level (3 A*s in History, English and Art), then went to art college for foundation year (which was the worst year, but left with a distinction.) A lot of my friends have gone to redbrick unis, a few are at oxford/cambridge. They think I am a total idiot not to have applied for a traditional subject at an academic uni. I think the theatre design sounds fun, and i could envisage doing it for a career, but Im not certain and I am terrified that I've made the wrong choice. I cant justify taking another year out, my family are on a really low income so I can't live at home for another year without getting a full time job. However I also cant risk making the wrong choices for uni because if I muck up, then this is pretty much my only shot at it. I can't afford to drop out and go somewhere else if I don't like it. I don't want a job just because it has a high wage, having never really had any money I have zero interest in picking a subject/uni just to earn lots in a high power paper pushing job. But equally I don't want to struggle the way my parents have. I want to do something I enjoy and that other people may benefit from, but am scared that having picked this over say English/History at Oxford or Newcastle or Sheffield or somewhere was the dumbest thing I have ever done.

I dont know, I realise this isnt really a question with a simple answer and that ultimately its my path to tread. But I feel like Im walking it blindfold. At the same time I am fully aware of how melodramatic and silly this is. I know I should feel lucky rather than scared.
Original post by homeward bound
hi, so just a quick heads up this will almost certainly be rambling, possibly contradictory, dumb and convoluted. Feel free to turn back now!

I've really struggled to narrow down my choices throughout my education, but for obvious reasons university has been the hardest choice. Over the past 3 years I have filled out 5 different ucas applications for varying degrees and combinations of art and history based subjects. I've finally accepted a place to study theatre design at Nottingham Trent this year. But, despite this I am still doubting my choices, and as enrollment draws ever nearer, slightly panicking. I went to a normal comprehensive school and sixth form and had some of the highest grades at GCSE & A level (3 A*s in History, English and Art), then went to art college for foundation year (which was the worst year, but left with a distinction.) A lot of my friends have gone to redbrick unis, a few are at oxford/cambridge. They think I am a total idiot not to have applied for a traditional subject at an academic uni. I think the theatre design sounds fun, and i could envisage doing it for a career, but Im not certain and I am terrified that I've made the wrong choice. I cant justify taking another year out, my family are on a really low income so I can't live at home for another year without getting a full time job. However I also cant risk making the wrong choices for uni because if I muck up, then this is pretty much my only shot at it. I can't afford to drop out and go somewhere else if I don't like it. I don't want a job just because it has a high wage, having never really had any money I have zero interest in picking a subject/uni just to earn lots in a high power paper pushing job. But equally I don't want to struggle the way my parents have. I want to do something I enjoy and that other people may benefit from, but am scared that having picked this over say English/History at Oxford or Newcastle or Sheffield or somewhere was the dumbest thing I have ever done.

I dont know, I realise this isnt really a question with a simple answer and that ultimately its my path to tread. But I feel like Im walking it blindfold. At the same time I am fully aware of how melodramatic and silly this is. I know I should feel lucky rather than scared.

Firstly :hugs:

Secondly, as someone who kind of jumped into uni I wouldn't recommend going unless your heart is set on the course (unlike the US system where you can trial out a few subjects it's less common to do that in England at least)

There is nothing wrong with taking a few years out. Just some work experience and explore different subjects. Look at further material and see if any of this interests you. Travel. Enjoy life :smile: I know it seems fairly surreal but you should at least enjoy the majority of your degree (there will be nitty gritty parts that you'll dislike but everyone has that imo)

It will be okay :hugs:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending