The Student Room Group

Qualifications and UCAS points - do I have a chance?

Long story short - because of personal issues, I had to drop out of college at the beginning of my second year in 2012. From senior school and my first year of college, I got 3 AS Levels (AAC) and a total of about 160 UCAS points.

I've been trying to get into uni through clearing and a lot of places have said I'm below the minimum requirement, which was sort of expected, but I've also been told by certain unis that, although I have an adequate amount of UCAS points, they aren't valid because they're only from AS Levels and not full A Levels. I didn't realise this would be so big an issue, but it seems like it is, so has anyone else experienced this?

Secondly, what would the best course of action be? I would still really like to go to uni, and have wanted to for a long time. Would it be necessary for me to complete at least two of my A Levels, or could I take on another sort of qualification, provided I could earn enough UCAS points from it? If I do have to finish off the A Levels I already have, do most places even DO that? I've been struggling to find places locally that cater to people in my situation.
Original post by blobdylan
Long story short - because of personal issues, I had to drop out of college at the beginning of my second year in 2012. From senior school and my first year of college, I got 3 AS Levels (AAC) and a total of about 160 UCAS points.

I've been trying to get into uni through clearing and a lot of places have said I'm below the minimum requirement, which was sort of expected, but I've also been told by certain unis that, although I have an adequate amount of UCAS points, they aren't valid because they're only from AS Levels and not full A Levels. I didn't realise this would be so big an issue, but it seems like it is, so has anyone else experienced this?

Secondly, what would the best course of action be? I would still really like to go to uni, and have wanted to for a long time. Would it be necessary for me to complete at least two of my A Levels, or could I take on another sort of qualification, provided I could earn enough UCAS points from it? If I do have to finish off the A Levels I already have, do most places even DO that? I've been struggling to find places locally that cater to people in my situation.

You have a few options:

1. I would consider finishing off your A Levels. However, some schools may not accept you as they are with different boards. You could consider doing a new set. In this situation, you wouldn't be considered as a retake candidate.
2. Consider doing a foundation year. However, if you have any courses in mind then make sure that course will take that foundation year.
3. I don't know if there is a minimum age but you could consider an Access course.

For option 1, have you been looking at places that have the same exam boards?
Original post by blobdylan

Many universities will specify that points have to come from at least 2 full A-levels. There are various reasons for this- but if that's what the university ask for, then they aren't going to accept you with AS levels only.

However, some universities will offer foundation years which may be open to students who haven't studied at A2 level. Foundation years bridge the gap between A-level and university, and you can fund them via SFE (assuming you're eligible). You'll normally feel like a university student and have the "university experience".

Finishing off your A-levels at college may be difficult and expensive. It will be very hard to find one that matches your exam boards and has a timetable to fit your subjects unless you can return to the place you dropped out of. It might be possible to finish your subjects through independent study. However, it might be easier to start a new set of A-levels, or an alternative qualification like a BTEC.
what town are you in?

Finishing your A levels is an option if you can find somewhere doing the same exam boards. If you can afford it tutorial colleges will teach you an A level in a year. An access course would be a good choice, Would be easier to help if we knew what AS levels, what you want to study at university and the nearest town..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending