The Student Room Group

Applying to a uni with higher entry requirements?

Hey,
I've been predicted A*AA for maths, further maths and psychology A levels respectively. I'm really happy with my predictions, but I wanted to know would I be able to get conditional offers from unis that require A*A*A (A*s in maths and further maths)? I'm looking to apply to UCL, their requirements are A*A*A with the A*s in maths and further maths. Would they instantly reject me as my predicted grades are below their requirements? Or would they perhaps consider the possibility of me exceeding my predicted grades? This is for a maths degree.
thanks

Scroll to see replies

They might make you a lower offer of A*AA if they really like you, but if your predicted grades are A*AA it is unlikely they will give you an offer of A*A*A as you haven't been predicted that so it would be a waste and also slightly unfair on you if you didn't achieve that
Reply 2
Original post by CarolineC2010
They might make you a lower offer of A*AA if they really like you, but if your predicted grades are A*AA it is unlikely they will give you an offer of A*A*A as you haven't been predicted that so it would be a waste and also slightly unfair on you if you didn't achieve that

And whether they like me or not would depend on my personal statement I assume?
Original post by tabmax22
And whether they like me or not would depend on my personal statement I assume?

Yes, also interviews if there is any
They're going to have loads of applicants with the grades they want so it's unlikely. You get 5 places to apply to though so no harm in applying to one or two that are above your predicted grades on the off chance. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CarolineC2010
Yes, also interviews if there is any

Would you say then that it would be a waste of a slot for me to apply to UCL? Currently I've confirmed applying to King's, Surrey and Durham.
Reply 6
Original post by TroyAndAbed
They're going to have loads of applicants with the grades they want so it's unlikely. You get 5 places to apply to though so no harm in applying to one or two that are above your predicted grades on the off chance. :smile:

Say if I do get A*A*A and UCL isn't in my 5 slot choices, would I be able to apply through adjustment?
They will offer A*AA with a 1 in a STEP paper so as long as you take STEP in June then they may give you an offer
Say if I do get A*A*A and UCL isn't in my 5 slot choices, would I be able to apply through adjustment?

UCL are unlikely to have any spare places available for adjustment but never say never.
Reply 9
Original post by TroyAndAbed
UCL are unlikely to have any spare places available for adjustment but never say never.

Original post by Sam280297
They will offer A*AA with a 1 in a STEP paper so as long as you take STEP in June then they may give you an offer

Yeah that's their offer for those with an A rather than an A* in Further Maths. If I do apply, they would be expecting me to take the STEP paper. If I don't take the STEP paper and then get A*A*A would they take me?
Reply 10
Hey,
I've been predicted A*AA for maths, further maths and psychology A levels respectively. I'm really happy with my predictions, but I wanted to know would I be able to get conditional offers from unis that require A*A*A (A*s in maths and further maths)? I'm looking to apply to UCL, their requirements are A*A*A with the A*s in maths and further maths. Would they instantly reject me as my predicted grades are below their requirements? Or would they perhaps consider the possibility of me exceeding my predicted grades? This is for a maths degree.
thanks

I know someone who was predicted ACC and applied for an AAA course and got an offer of AAA
Yeah that's their offer for those with an A rather than an A* in Further Maths. If I do apply, they would be expecting me to take the STEP paper. If I don't take the STEP paper and then get A*A*A would they take me?

If you explain to them that your taking the STEP paper then I think that they might give you an offer of A*AA, but you'll also have to get a certain grade in the STEP paper as part of the offer
Reply 12
Original post by yt7777
I know someone who was predicted ACC and applied for an AAA course and got an offer of AAA

What course was this for may I ask?
Reply 13
What course was this for may I ask?

Computer Science
Reply 14
If you explain to them that your taking the STEP paper then I think that they might give you an offer of A*AA, but you'll also have to get a certain grade in the STEP paper as part of the offer

I'm not planning on taking a STEP paper. That's the thing you see, if I apply as an A*AA candidate they would ask me to have STEP right? So if I ignore STEP (which they wouldn't know as their offer would include STEP) and then end up getting A*A*A would they offer me?
Reply 15
Original post by yt7777
Computer Science

Was this for UCL?
I'm not planning on taking a STEP paper. That's the thing you see, if I apply as an A*AA candidate they would ask me to have STEP right? So if I ignore STEP (which they wouldn't know as their offer would include STEP) and then end up getting A*A*A would they offer me?

If you said you weren't taking STEP then they may give you an offer of A*A*A. You would probably have a better chance of getting an offer if you take STEP, but its up to you.

You'll still be in a chance of a place without STEP though.

Technically, if their offer to you is A*AA with a STEP paper and you don't do it, you haven't fulfilled the requirements and they could refuse you your place, even if you do get the extra A*. Saying that, they may still let you in but it is a risk and there wouldn't be much you could do if they did refuse you, as you didn't meet the offer they gave you.
Reply 18
If you said you weren't taking STEP then they may give you an offer of A*A*A. You would probably have a better chance of getting an offer if you take STEP, but its up to you.

You'll still be in a chance of a place without STEP though.

I don't think I would be able to do well in STEP. I'm taking the whole further maths a level in one year, so I wouldn't have enough time to prepare for STEP :frown:
Reply 19
Was this for UCL?

No Southampton, I think you probably could get an offer, what about asking your teachers to up your predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending