The Student Room Group

If I support gender rights, does that automatically make me a Feminist?

I've seen a similarish post by an Anon a while ago .. but I just want to get this clear. I believe in gender rights, for both MEN and WOMEN ... but I don't want to be Feminist ... well at least, don't want to be labelled one.

If I support Gender rights, as for religious rights, race rights, et cetera ... then why am I a Feminist?

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't make you a feminist. Feminism is based on getting rights for women, not men.
Original post by DiddyDec
It doesn't make you a feminist. Feminism is based on getting rights for women, not men.

But I thought feminism, by definition, was a movement for gender rights?
Original post by Made in Tyrone
But I thought feminism, by definition, was a movement for gender rights?

Well it is based on equality of the sexes, but focuses on women's rights, rather than male rights. Now, this isn't to say all feminists ignore issues that affect men, but the movement itself is heavily focused on women.
why wouldn't you want to be labelled a feminist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
why wouldn't you want to be labelled a feminist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it a label that encompasses a lot of movements which you would not want your name associated with and also many views which one does not hold.
I think it a label that encompasses a lot of movements which you would not want your name associated with and also many views which one does not hold.

That is true of any movement. For example Animal Rights. Most people are pro-animal rights, but they disagree with the extremes of that movement - forced vegetarianism, no leather shoes, absolutely no animal-experimentation (even for medical reasons), etc. However if I did a poll on a random london street, an overwhelming majority would not hesitate to state their support.

There is something different about feminism that makes people averse to it.
Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
A feminist is an identification, it's your choice.

I mean I could easily create a world "stupidf " and say it means an young woman, does that mean all young women are stupidf?

don't let anyone force you to identify as anything you don't want to. For example someone who supports gender equality could equally be egalitarian or even masculist.
Original post by ThatPerson
That is true of any movement. For example Animal Rights. Most people are pro-animal rights, but they disagree with the extremes of that movement - forced vegetarianism, no leather shoes, absolutely no animal-experimentation (even for medical reasons), etc. However if I did a poll on a random london street, an overwhelming majority would not hesitate to state their support.

There is something different about feminism that makes people averse to it.

Probably the sorts of people who are the loudest in the Feminist movements. I don't think any man could be complicit with some of things they spout.
Original post by EXTREMEninja
Well it is based on equality of the sexes, but focuses on women's rights, rather than male rights. Now, this isn't to say all feminists ignore issues that affect men, but the movement itself is heavily focused on women.

Well that's not equal at all then.
well according to this feminist you are only a feminist if you agree women are oppressed and concern yourself with womens rights.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/09/not-a-feminist-move-on-men-women

Think men and women are equal in different way? (not 100% completly but there are areas each advantages over the other)

Then you're not a feminist

to quote Misophonia from another thread

Feminism is wanting equal rights for men and women. This isn't just raising women's rights, but ensuring that men are equal to women where there is inequality (e.g. Obligation to pay for dates, no free entry to clubs etc.)

But wait what about the decades of gender theory and feminist studies perpetuating the idea od patriarchy, if I don't believe patriarchy (the keystone of femnist theory) is the cause of gender equality how can I be a femnist

It is pretty illogical for men to hate feminism as that effectively means that they support the fact that gender roles in society are unequal. Most don't hate feminism really, they hate the few women that embody the stereotype and give feminism a bad name.

But I support gender equality. I just don't support feminism.

This is the problem with feminism and feminists, they have claimed gender equality as their own, it's like one denomination of church claiming their way is THE ONLY option. When people bring up the stereotype feminists are quick to distance themselves as a defence, but realisticly they still believe you have to agree with them, even if they don't force you to like Candian feminazi students do, they still think you're wrong because you're not a feminist, even if you want gender equality.

Yes YOU CAN WANT GENDER EQUALITY WITHOUT BEING A FEMINIST, SPREAD THE WORD, PURSUE EQUALITY WITHOUT THE ANTI MALE AGENDA!
Original post by Made in Tyrone
Well that's not equal at all then.

Of course it isn't, that is why it is called Femโ€‹inism.
what the heck is a "gender right"?
you fit the definition of the word 'feminist' entirely by wanting gender equality, t's only due to the radical feminist culture that the stigma around feminism makes it so undesirable to be one (even though many people are feminists without realising it). It's either be a feminist or be sexist, by definition. You are either one or the other.
Original post by louieee
you fit the definition of the word 'feminist' entirely by wanting gender equality, t's only due to the radical feminist culture that the stigma around feminism makes it so undesirable to be one (even though many people are feminists without realising it). It's either be a feminist or be sexist, by definition. You are either one or the other.

That is ****ing retarded. Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of equality of the sexes. What if you want to support both men and women?

That is not in the Feminism regime to help with men's issues.
That is ****ing retarded. Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of equality of the sexes. What if you want to support both men and women?

yeah except you're wrong.

if you don't believe in women having equal rights to men (thus advocating their rights on the ground of equality of both genders), then I don't get how you can not be sexist.

- believe women should have women equal rights to men (feminist)
- believe women shouldn't have equal rights to men (sexist)

what other option is there?
Original post by louieee
if you don't believe in women having equal rights to men (thus advocating their rights on the ground of equality of both genders), then I don't get how you can not be sexist.

Have no opinion on the subject.
Original post by louieee

Okay by that logic as a Christian who believes in Jesus I am Catholic.

Every Christian on earth ...is a Catholic and every Muslim is Sunni or every Buddist is Theravada.

Feminism is a complex system of gender theories and skewed history, with an ideology imposed into every faucet of what is esentially the humanities. How else would you explain feminist studies, otherwise it would be a REALLY short degree.

The irony of someone telling me I don't understand what feminism when I have been forced to do two modules of feminist based history in my degree and they have never studied it, or even a humanity past GCSE level (I'm not refering to you specifically louieee, I don't know your educational background) but the amount of people who TELL me no you don't understand feminism, I do, I really do, I have HAD to read works by feminist authors, I fully understand the ideology behind feminism unlike a lot of its 'coffeeshop feminist' proponents who have been misled into think Feminism is JUST about equality.

You know what is about equality? EQUALITY, feminism is a niche of a far larger issue; Gender Egalitarianism, and as a niche it can NEVER bring gender equality alone, 100% solid gold super Brucie bonus fact.

I will repeat this until it is understood.

One does NOT have to be a feminist to support GENDER EQUALITY.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bubadeeboop
Okay by that logic as a Christian who believes in Jesus I am Catholic.

Every Christian on earth ...is a Catholic and every Muslim is Sunni or every Buddist is Theravada.

Feminism is a complex system of gender theories and skewed history, with an ideology imposed into every faucet of what is esentially the humanities. How else would you explain feminist studies, otherwise it would be a REALLY short degree.

The irony of someone telling me I don't understand what feminism when I have been forced to do two modules of feminist based history in my degree and they have never studied it, or even a humanity past GCSE level (I'm not refering to you specifically louieee, I don't know your educational background) but the amount of people who TELL me no you don't understand feminism, I do, I really do, I have HAD to read works by feminist authors, I fully understand the ideology behind feminism unlike a lot of its 'coffeeshop feminist' proponents who have been misled into think Feminism is JUST about equality.

You know what is about equality? EQUALITY, feminism is a niche of a far larger issue; Gender Egalitarianism, and as a niche it can NEVER bring gender equality alone, 100% solid gold super Brucie bonus fact.

I will repeat this until it is understood.

One does NOT have to be a feminist to support GENDER EQUALITY.

can you repeat it again because I don't understand, sir

Quick Reply

Latest