The Student Room Group

What do you think about this bag?

So I'm starting sixth form soon, and I got a new bag. However, I need pockets for pens, pencils etc so I decided against a backpack, so I settled for a laptop bag.

I just wanted to ask, what do you guys think? It is twice the size of a normal messenger bag and I think it looks out if place.

Do you guys think I should get a better looking bag, or do you reckon this will look fine? I'm not getting a rucksack, so I just want your opinions.

Here is a similar bag which is almost identical

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/wenger-acquisition-16-inch-laptop-bag-a27nq
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hahaaa.
I think you should look for another which is a little stylish. I'd never walk around with that to school, but that's just me.
I mean, if you're gonna carry lots of items, there are other big bags which can do that. Plus, you don't really need that big of a bag in the first place. As long as it can carry textbooks, etc. that's all you need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It's practical, and its an okay bag. My first day at sixth form was today and I saw a few of those however colleges are a different environment and it may not look right, but it is up to you.
Original post by Mr.Samba
So I'm starting college soon, and I got a new bag. However, I need pockets for pens, pencils etc so I decided against a backpack, so I settled for a laptop bag.

I just wanted to ask, what do you guys think? It is twice the size of a normal messenger bag and I think it looks out if place.

Do you guys think I should get a better looking bag, or do you reckon this will look fine? I'm not getting a rucksack, so I just want your opinions.

Here is a similar bag which is almost identical

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/wenger-acquisition-16-inch-laptop-bag-a27nq

Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
It's practical, and its an okay bag. My first day at sixth form was today and I saw a few of those however colleges are a different environment and it may not look right, but it is up to you.

I should have mentioned that I'm going to a six form really, but that's definitely helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by Kitty-meaw

Well that was a helpful insight.
Reply 6
SwissGear make quality products.
Reply 7
Everyone after the age of 15 uses messenger bags.
Reply 8
Do you want to get bullied? :K:
Reply 9
Well that was a helpful insight.

Are you using it for a laptop, if you're not it may be a bit odd.
Reply 10
Original post by Artimus
Are you using it for a laptop, if you're not it may be a bit odd.

Yes, and no. We are provided one, or we can take our own, but it is unknown how frequently we will use them.

Original post by Lil08
Do you want to get bullied? :K:

Wow, I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Original post by queensboy
Everyone after the age of 15 uses messenger bags.

I have 5 messenger bags, and I've used them for a while now. I'm sick of them though, and the feeling is mutual towards my backpacks. Hence why I have chosen an alternative.

Do keep in mind that my sixth form has a uniform, it is fairly strict.
(edited 9 years ago)
I regret having a messenger bag during my first year of sixth form, my bag got so heavy it started grazing my left shoulder, really uncomfortable.

OP, I suggest a rucksack is better for A Levels due to the folders and books you have to carry.

The bag you have chosen looks a little 'out of place' for a college. It looks a bit too formal and business-like. Unless you plan on wearing a uniform, I'd probably look for something a little casual.

Try something like this.

Just my advice though, good luck with college!
Yes, and no. We are provided one, or we can take our own, but it is unknown how frequently we will use them.

Wow, I didn't think it was THAT bad.

I have 5 messenger bags, and I've used them for a while now. I'm sick of them though, and the feeling is mutual towards my backpacks. Hence why I have chosen an alternative.

Well I don't see what is wrong with it then. It is practical as it can be used to carry a laptop but can also be used when you don't have one on you.
Reply 13
Original post by Artimus
Well I don't see what is wrong with it then. It is practical as it can be used to carry a laptop but can also be used when you don't have one on you.

Thanks for the decent comment.
I have had a messenger bag from year 7-11 but now in year 12 I switched for a backpack, and it's much more comfortable.
Reply 15
Original post by Iggy Azalea
I regret having a messenger bag during my first year of sixth form, my bag got so heavy it started grazing my left shoulder, really uncomfortable.

OP, I suggest a rucksack is better for A Levels due to the folders and books you have to carry.

The bag you have chosen looks a little 'out of place' for a college. It looks a bit too formal and business-like. Unless you plan on wearing a uniform, I'd probably look for something a little casual.

Try something like this.

Just my advice though, good luck with college!

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I've already got some like this, so I may stick with them for now. However, my sixth form (sorry, I said college by accident) has a uniform dress code so what do you think of this in that case?
Reply 16
It's not a bad looking bag. If you will have the need to carry a laptop with you, then I'd probably say go for a laptop bag. It should be fine. You could look for more attractive ones if you think this one's a bit dull.

But as someone's mentioned before, A-levels do hurt your shoulders if you have something that's not a rucksack, so make sure you carry the heavier things in your hands and keep as much as possible in your locker when you don't need it at that instant :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest