The Student Room Group

Has anyone got an A* at a level even though they had a B at As level?

With NO resits!
(edited 9 years ago)
*Resits
Reply 2
Original post by chelseafan
*Resits

Changed it but that's not relevant...
Reply 3
I'm aiming for an A* in psychology as I got a B at AS.

Yes, it's possible as long as you get an average of 90% or higher for your A2 UMS so I've heard
Is there any particular reason why?
Reply 5
Original post by Shanzii
I'm aiming for an A* in psychology as I got a B at AS.

Yes, it's possible as long as you get an average of 90% or higher for your A2 UMS so I've heard

Ok tanx! Hope it works out for you :biggrin:
Reply 6
I went from a C to an A* in psych, but I did resit one unit. In the end though, I actually got high enough in my A2 units that I would have got an A* even without resitting anything. So it's definitely possible :smile:
Reply 7
Yes in Physics, I did resit 2 modules but I would have gotten an A* without resits. However I would only have gotten an A* by 10 UMS without them. (490/600 instead of 528/600).

I had 210 UMS at AS btw, so nearly a C.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got a B in AS (157/200 UMS) but an A* overall (197/200 at A2) in History - I did actually resit one module of AS, but I got high enough at A2 that I would have got an A* even if I hadn't. Hope this helps!
Original post by __Adam__
Yes in Physics, I did resit 2 modules but I would have gotten an A* without resits. However I would only have gotten an A* by 10 UMS without them. (490/600 instead of 528/600).

I had 210 UMS at AS btw, so nearly a C.

wow well done, i got a B at AS and a B at A2, may I ask what you did differently?/ how did you prepare for exams exactly?
Original post by hugoalmeida
wow well done, i got a B at AS and a B at A2, may I ask what you did differently?/ how did you prepare for exams exactly?

I don't really know what happened when I sat my exam at AS, but I got a C in unit 1 physics (74/120 UMS) even though I was hitting the A/B boundary in all the practice tests that I was doing. I don't think I did all the necessary revision though. I felt confident in the subject but I guess I was wrong.

At A2 I started reading through the textbooks and writing notes as I was reading (forces you to pay attention to what you're looking at). It was helpful having the notes nearby whenever I did forget something as well. I also had table listing all the key words and their definitions to memorise.

The most helpful thing was probably reading mark schemes, examiners always look for the same stuff, so if you know what they're looking for in your answers, you can just write down what the mark scheme says to write and the examiners have to give you the marks.

Quick Reply