The Student Room Group

Need serious advice.. Life is getting me down

Hello guys.

Basically, I am currently 20 years old and I have been in full time employment for over a year now. If I'm completely honest, I haven't been happy in this year. I've been thinking about it lately and I really fancy doing sports science in college; bearing in mind that I am 20 years old which means I will have to pay for a college course now? Correct?

But my situation is bad. I currently have a car on finance which works up to around £295 including insurance a month so I feel like I cannot leave my job and pursue something I actually have a passion and interest for! Can you guys give me any advice? This is seriously making me depressed as I feel like I'm stuck to this job I am currently doing which I do not enjoy at all.

Thanks.
Reply 1
bump
Personally, I would ring up the college and ask if there are any part time courses available to you? That way you would be able to balance your job and your college course? :smile:
Reply 3
you've gotta ask yourself if you still want to be in that job in 10 years? part time may be the way forward but if not have a proper look into finances i thought you were eligible till 25 for help?
Reply 4
It sounds to me like you need to simplify your life a little. It's full of junk that isn't making you happy, yet that's also sapping your time and money. If your car is costing you more than it's worth, get rid of it. The same goes for all the things you own that aren't contributing their value to you. Getting rid of the junk should free you up financially to start moving towards a life you enjoy. As soon as you can afford your course, you can quit your job and start it.
Reply 5
Original post by miser
It sounds to me like you need to simplify your life a little. It's full of junk that isn't making you happy, yet that's also sapping your time and money. If your car is costing you more than it's worth, get rid of it. The same goes for all the things you own that aren't contributing their value to you. Getting rid of the junk should free you up financially to start moving towards a life you enjoy. As soon as you can afford your course, you can quit your job and start it.

It's not as easy as that, I don't think it's possible to sell my car as it's on finance. I've contacted the college and it's £1043 for my to enroll on a course. I'm so upset, it doesn't look like it will be possible for me to go back
Original post by Connorsil
It's not as easy as that, I don't think it's possible to sell my car as it's on finance. I've contacted the college and it's £1043 for my to enroll on a course. I'm so upset, it doesn't look like it will be possible for me to go back

Parents? Friends? Family?

Even try fundraising online? There must be something you can do.

If its too late this year, keep going at your job and surely in a few months you'll be much closer to that figure?
Reply 7
Original post by Comeback
Parents? Friends? Family?

Even try fundraising online? There must be something you can do.

If its too late this year, keep going at your job and surely in a few months you'll be much closer to that figure?

I'm struggling to see myself even at this job for a few more months as pathetic as it sounds. I'm sure it isn't too late to start a course, I know people who have started a course around a month or two in.
I'm struggling to see myself even at this job for a few more months as pathetic as it sounds. I'm sure it isn't too late to start a course, I know people who have started a course around a month or two in.

Well if money is an issue maybe you should save up first? Do you know if you have to pay the college one lump sum upfront, or if they let you pay in regular installments? That could be an option if they can, and you could work at your current job for a couple months, then find another job until next summer. Then you could do part-time (like a shift or two a week) while at college, that would surely be plenty for you to do the course.

Good luck though...maybe you could look into getting grants/funding? (especially if you come from a poor background, have any type of family issues or find a company to sponsor you)
Reply 9
Original post by Comeback
Well if money is an issue maybe you should save up first? Do you know if you have to pay the college one lump sum upfront, or if they let you pay in regular installments? That could be an option if they can, and you could work at your current job for a couple months, then find another job until next summer. Then you could do part-time (like a shift or two a week) while at college, that would surely be plenty for you to do the course.

Good luck though...maybe you could look into getting grants/funding? (especially if you come from a poor background, have any type of family issues or find a company to sponsor you)

Yeah to be fair that is the plan. I'll see what happens, thanks for your advice
Reply 10

I too was (well technically, still am) stuck in a dead end job on minimum wage, working full time. I was so depressed about my life; I couldn't find another job I wouldn't hate but I couldn't quit my job because I had a house to pay for.

I looked into going college and found, like you, I had to pay. However, the college offered me the choice to pay it in monthly installments, which I took. I saved up to the best of my abilities over summer for a September start, and worked as many hours as possible during the year, without affecting my grades. If I'm being honest it was the best decision I ever made and well worth cutting back on non-essentials as I will be attending university next year, which makes my job at the minute much more bearable. Plus, it got me into a new situation whereas before all I did was work, home, home, work etc. and I made a lot of great friends.
Reply 11
Original post by Tw1x
I too was (well technically, still am) stuck in a dead end job on minimum wage, working full time. I was so depressed about my life; I couldn't find another job I wouldn't hate but I couldn't quit my job because I had a house to pay for.

I looked into going college and found, like you, I had to pay. However, the college offered me the choice to pay it in monthly installments, which I took. I saved up to the best of my abilities over summer for a September start, and worked as many hours as possible during the year, without affecting my grades. If I'm being honest it was the best decision I ever made and well worth cutting back on non-essentials as I will be attending university next year, which makes my job at the minute much more bearable. Plus, it got me into a new situation whereas before all I did was work, home, home, work etc. and I made a lot of great friends.

Thanks for the reply. That is my my ideal scenario at this current moment. I'm going to rake up as much money as possible and see if I can get back to college.
Reply 12
Thanks for the reply. That is my my ideal scenario at this current moment. I'm going to rake up as much money as possible and see if I can get back to college.

Definitely speak to them to see if there is some sort of payment plan you can sort out, I paid like 200 a month, but I could have paid more/less, depending on how much I paid upfront. If you really can't afford to go straight away, atleast it gives you something to look forward to. As I said, I decided in July that I wanted to go college in September so saved like mad. But believe me, a year goes by so fast so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to wait a year. But college will definitely be the best thing you can do if you are in a rut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending