The Student Room Group

How does the A* for A level actually work?

Every time I search for it or ask someone, I always seem to get different answers. How does the A* for A level actually work? Is it if you get 90% across A2 or what? :confused:
You need 80% overall and 90% across A2, in UMS. There is no AS requirement (although mathematically you'd need at least 60%).

I should state that this is for AQA, Edexcel and OCR. I've heard one of the smaller exam boards might have an AS rule, but I'm not sure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
As above.

80% in the total A-level, with 90% in your A2 units.

For example, a 600 UMS unit (often the sciences):

80% is 480/600 - this is an A grade.

You need 270+/300 in your A2 units alone. Therefore, minimum AS UMS is (480 - 300 = 180 = 60% = Boundary for a grade C)

It's quite funny because if you get a C at AS, you can't get an A at a-level, but you can get an A* :P
Original post by Dylann
As above.

80% in the total A-level, with 90% in your A2 units.

For example, a 600 UMS unit (often the sciences):

80% is 480/600 - this is an A grade.

You need 270+/300 in your A2 units alone. Therefore, minimum AS UMS is (480 - 300 = 180 = 60% = Boundary for a grade C)

It's quite funny because if you get a C at AS, you can't get an A at a-level, but you can get an A* :P

I dont understand? How can you get an A* but not an A?
Original post by Toxic_Legends

Because an A is 80% overall. but if you get below 70% in AS, you need over 90% in A2 in order to reach 80% overall, automatically giving you an A*, not an A.
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
You need 80% overall and 90% across A2, in UMS. There is no AS requirement (although mathematically you'd need at least 60%).

I should state that this is for AQA, Edexcel and OCR. I've heard one of the smaller exam boards might have an AS rule, but I'm not sure.

I suppose you mean CIE (which is not smaller)?

In that case, you'd need an average of 90 across all four modules.

For example, to get an A* you would need 85+85+95+95 or vice versa.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6

Assume a 400 UMS unit, such as English or Economics.

An A is 320/400 UMS (80%).

Assume I got a C at AS. This means I got between 120-139 UMS. Let's say I got 133. In order to get an A overall, I need to get (320 - 133) = 187/200 UMS in my A2 units. Since I got above 90% in A2, my grade is automatically upgraded to an A*.

This doesn't just work for 133, try any value between 120-139 and you will see :smile:

Also works for 600 UMS units

edit:

Original post by PythianLegume
Because an A is 80% overall. but if you get below 70% in AS, you need over 90% in A2 in order to reach 80% overall, automatically giving you an A*, not an A.

Perfect explanation! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dylann
Assume a 400 UMS unit, such as English or Economics.

An A is 320/400 UMS (80%).

Assume I got a C at AS. This means I got between 120-139 UMS. Let's say I got 133. In order to get an A overall, I need to get (320 - 133) = 187/200 UMS in my A2 units. Since I got above 90% in A2, my grade is automatically upgraded to an A*.

This doesn't just work for 133, try any value between 120-139 and you will see :smile:

Also works for 600 UMS units

Thanks for clearing that up and the detailed explanation. Appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 8
Thanks for clearing that up and the detailed explanation. Appreciated :biggrin:

It's fun. Tell your friends, they probably won't believe you. Then explain it and you'll look awesome.
Reply 9
Does this ultimately mean that there's no real point in getting >80% UMS on an AS paper? (Which is the boundary for an A). Because any extra points past that aren't going to make it easier to get an A* because the 90% A2 average required is going to give you your 80% average overall. Or am I missing something?
Original post by lerjj
Does this ultimately mean that there's no real point in getting >80% UMS on an AS paper? (Which is the boundary for an A). Because any extra points past that aren't going to make it easier to get an A* because the 90% A2 average required is going to give you your 80% average overall. Or am I missing something?

Theoretically yes, just for the actual grade. However you should always work hard for AS because it is these grades universities will see, and it is these grades your teachers are going to make your A2 predictions from, dictating the universities you can apply to. The vast majority of teachers would be very reluctant to predict someone an A* with a B at AS, and the vast majority of the time they simply won't.
It amazes me how A* students can't grasp this! :rofl2:
Original post by *Stefan*
I suppose you mean CIE (which is not smaller)?

In that case, you'd need an average of 90 across all four modules.

For example, to get an A* you would need 85+85+95+95 or vice versa.

Well, smaller in the UK. :tongue:

But thanks for the info.
Original post by lerjj
Yes, but getting a higher grade can be beneficial in case you are a borderline A student, in case you get below 80% in A2. Or if you're applying to a competitive UMS based uni (cambridge).

Quick Reply

Latest