The Student Room Group

IS execute another journalist

They now have killed the guy at the end of the previous video. With another message to Obama.

Now it also seems their next hostage is British.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/world/middleeast/steven-sotloff-isis-execution.html?_r=0
(edited 9 years ago)
Has the authenticity of this video been verified? It took a tiny bit of time for the FBI and USNC to verify the previous video so it seems prudent to wait.
Reply 2
it will keep happening if these journalists go to syria/iraq
Reply 3
Original post by sdotd
it will keep happening if these journalists go to syria/iraq

They were captured ages ago probably by minor groups who came together to from ISIS.
Reply 4
Original post by Falcatas
They were captured ages ago probably by minor groups who came together to from ISIS.

I know but this should send a message to any journalist thinking of going to syria/iraq
A tragedy yes, of course, but i don't think we can give in to their demands, sure it would save a couple of lives today but it would open a floodgate of kidnappings and attacks as they expect the west to give in to their demands.

It is sad that he lost his life but he was a journalist, he knew the risk of going into a warzone.
Original post by Falcatas
They now have killed the guy at the end of the previous video. With another message to Obama.

Now it also seems their next hostage is British.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/world/middleeast/steven-sotloff-isis-execution.html?_r=0

But remember, this has nothing to do with the Religion of Peace...
it's sad, but let's be honest, did we really expect anything else from those vile beings anyway?
Reply 8
They seem really tolerant and peaceful, I've heard stories of how peaceful and welcoming Islam is but this is the first evidence I have seen.
They're such idiots. The US government never really wanted much involvement but these executions are forcing Obama to show that he is fighting ISIS. If they keep it up then eventually there'll be an alliance with Assad and possibly a ground invasion. The strategy is about as smart as Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbour.

Thank God we didn't go to war against Assad, despite the best efforts of certain people. I said from the start that doing so would fund people who want us dead, and here we are. I think it's time that we realised the sad truth: large parts of the world are still in the middle ages and everyone - both the people inside those countries and the civilised countries - are better off when an old-school dictator is in power. Iraq was better with Hussein, Libya was better with Gadaffi, Egypt was better with Mubarak and Syria is better with Assad. These people are all monsters of course, just like the monarchs of medieval Europe were, but they are far better than what comes when the West helps to tear them down. Everyone is better off with a brutal, power-hungry dictator than an insanely religious, brutal, power-hungry dictator. And unfortunately those are the only options because the people who are raised in these places are simply not ready for democracy.

It took a long, gradual process for European countries to understand and respect democracy, human rights, freedom, etc. We can't force those things on a country overnight - doing so is like killing a 12th Century English King, creating a power vacuum and expecting peaceful democracy to follow - rather than the obvious civil war between competing brutal tyrants or foreign invasions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by UniOfLife

"I don't know why people suggest this is linked to Islam, any religion has the same chance of doing these things"
Literally horrible, no words to express it.
Reply 12
I want reform to come and justify this. he doesnt mind prisoners being killed ofc. also we muslims need to dispose of this happy clappy islam and go back to our SOP and kill them all .
Reply 13
Original post by UniOfLife

that line has been used so many times, its just not funny anymore take a break mate.
Reply 14
footage needs to be analysed first, what you should know about the beheading of james foley:

Subject's mouth mannerism when talking - Check.
Failing to publish an actual decapitation - Check.
Absence of bleeding after more than 5 cuts - Check.
Only a still image of alleged beheaded torso - Check.
One Foley father wears distance glasses but one does not - Check.
Siblings smiling while discussing his death - Check.

What you have not mentioned is this:
The 'Foley beheading video' that I viewed shows the knife being placed against the neck between the Adam's Apple and the lower jaw. If a head was severed at that location, the resulting deceased torso would have a stump of neck visible. The still image of the alleged deceased James Foley shows no such stump of neck.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending