The Student Room Group

A-Level or B-TEC?!

I have allot of anxiety coming up to exams like I did with my GCSE's and felt sick allot. I was considering a B-TEC but people are saying only do one if you're doing Engineering. I'm planning on doing A-Levels in Business Studies, Economics, ICT and Product Design but I've seen allot of people comparing A-Levels to Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, Very popular but not allot survive. That got me thinking. In my GCSE's I passed everything but Spanish with B's in Business and ICT. I'm not even sure whether I want to go to Uni. My sister went to Keel and she said that A-Levels aren't as bad as people make out. If I was to choose a B-TEC it would be in Business but the entry requirements are either ABC or DDM.

Which would be a better choice?
Reply 1
Original post by Jackfarmer
I have allot of anxiety coming up to exams like I did with my GCSE's and felt sick allot. I was considering a B-TEC but people are saying only do one if you're doing Engineering. I'm planning on doing A-Levels in Business Studies, Economics, ICT and Product Design but I've seen allot of people comparing A-Levels to Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, Very popular but not allot survive. That got me thinking. In my GCSE's I passed everything but Spanish with B's in Business and ICT. I'm not even sure whether I want to go to Uni. My sister went to Keel and she said that A-Levels aren't as bad as people make out. If I was to choose a B-TEC it would be in Business but the entry requirements are either ABC or DDM.

I won't directly say for you what I think you should do as I don't know enough abut the anxiety levels for you, what support you have n'all that.

I have severe anxiety for exams, will be sick before, have nose bleeds ect. It affected my GCSE grades. I still have gone on to do A-levels due to it being the thing and having pressure to do them.
Were my AS results affected? Yes.
Would I have done something else instead of the A-levels if I knew what it'd be like? Yes.
Did I know I wasn't going to uni before even starting year 9? Yes.

If you'd like to talk privately about what you feel like, the support you get ect so I can give you my 2 cents of what you should do then drop me a PM. :smile:

BTECs are just as good. Don't feel ashamed at all if you choose it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jackfarmer

The BTEC would be fine to get into uni unless your looking to go to oxbridge , if it's business you want to do at uni the BTEC will get you in most places I had friends who got into York and Durham with the business extended diploma, also BTECs are vocational courses so are very well regarded in industry if you wanted to go straight into employment, my teacher said he would rather employ someone with a BTEC in IT over someone with A levels of the same equivalent grades in 3 STEM subjects
(edited 9 years ago)
Doing a Btec in business means tht you get an equivalent grade to business at A Level without any exams. It's completely coursework. So there's no exam stress what so ever. If that is what you feel you can do then do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies and my anxiety isnt too bad mean its only around exam time and im never actually sick, just feel really bad and still feel it now. I start college tomorrow and I think the first few weeks are tasters so you can change throughout then. I don't want anything too hard as I feel as if I wont be able to achieve it.

Quick Reply