The Student Room Group

Cant go to college anymore

Im currently in a mid life crisis because I'm confused on if i should continue to go to school or not. I attend a college where i am studying btec art. i decided to leave my high school after gcse as i wanted to focus on art and chose to study at this college because at first i thought the course would help me to develop my skills but instead i am just dreading it for these reasons:
1. the course doesn't help me to express creativity or to develop skills
3. many of the students have no interest at all in the subject= bad environment
4.the course definitely does not prepare me for uni
5. i have absolutely no friends and am always alone

since going to this college for the past year i have started to not enjoy art which used to be my greatest passion. i have another year till this course finishes and i don't have the confidence in me to continue. i talked to my parents but obviously they don't want me to stop going to school and its too late to apply for another school. if i were to stop going i would try to find a part time job and also do some distant learning a levels and apply for an arts foundation for next september so i can progress to university. by not going it would limit my options for uni but since i want to go for an arts degree it would not be the end of the world.

i know i probably sound like a really negative and depressing person (sorry!),
but what do you guys think..if you were in my situation would you suck it up and go or what?
Original post by mikamika
Im currently in a mid life crisis because I'm confused on if i should continue to go to school or not. I attend a college where i am studying btec art. i decided to leave my high school after gcse as i wanted to focus on art and chose to study at this college because at first i thought the course would help me to develop my skills but instead i am just dreading it for these reasons:

since going to this college for the past year i have started to not enjoy art which used to be my greatest passion. i have another year till this course finishes and i don't have the confidence in me to continue. i talked to my parents but obviously they don't want me to stop going to school and its too late to apply for another school. if i were to stop going i would try to find a part time job and also do some distant learning a levels and apply for an arts foundation for next september so i can progress to university. by not going it would limit my options for uni but since i want to go for an arts degree it would not be the end of the world.

but what do you guys think..if you were in my situation would you suck it up and go or what?

Hmmm. I would say try to channel your energy all your energy into your artwork. I know it's hard when you don't have friends and feel alone and you also feel like you're struggling at college, but you could try to channel of your loneliness and upset into your artwork and use that as a therapeutic method.

You have one more year to go so you could either front it out or have you considered searching really hard for colleges with better art teaching to see if you can get a place to do A Level or BTEC again this year. If you feel like you messed up last year due to bad teaching and bad class environment, you could find somewhere better and try again. If you do try to stay on at the college where the guidance isn't good you could try your hardest to get extra help from a tutor, go to evening school classes and do extra ressearch. Good luck
Original post by mikamika

1. You're doing the course to get into uni. Once at uni you will have greater independence over what you want to do and where you want to go in life. If you want to express creativity, don't do a Btec (or an A Level, GCSE or foundation course). These national qualifications restrict creativity to assess standards. If you're feeling inspired, make a masterpiece.

2. There is no number two.

3. Most irrelevant point ever. Wherever you go in life, you will meet people who are annoying, constantly complaining and/or a nuisance. Ignore them at all costs, you're not there to meet them, you're there to get a qualification to get into uni.

4. If universities will accept your course as an entry requirement for their entry, I think it must.

5. Why do you have no friends? Probably because you're surrounded by people you can't relate to, who have no motivation and will end up quitting to do part time jobs when they look at their grades at the end of the year. Once you leave college, you have the opportunity to meet people you will want to hang out with (and they will want to hang out with you). As I've said, you're there for a qualification; not to mess around, meet people or put off entering the work place.

Hope this doesn't sound too blunt but thats my honest opinion. I wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending